MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default 60th Anniversary Of Hmcs Esquimalt Sinking

Sinking of HMCS Esquimalt commemorated. On April 16, 1945, it became the last Canadian ship of the war to go down

Charles Mandel, Canwest News Service Published: Wednesday, July 09, 2008

HALIFAX -- Once sworn enemies, Canadian and German sailors from the Second World War met in Halifax yesterday to commemorate the last Canadian warship sunk in enemy action during the war, HMCS Esquimalt.

Two crew members of HMCS Sarnia, the Canadian vessel that rescued 27 of Esquimalt's crew, and one man from the German submarine U-boat 190 that sent her to the bottom, reunited in a service of remembrance in the East Coast port city.

Neither of the two remaining survivors of Esquimalt's crew was able to make the trip to Halifax.

U-boat 190 torpedoed Esquimalt, a minesweeper, in the Halifax approaches more than 60 years ago, near the end of the war. While it might seem difficult to understand how Canadian sailors could embrace someone who helped kill 44 of their comrades, Werner Hirschmann, 85, said yesterday the men he once helped torpedo are now his comrades.

"They became real, true friends, based on the fact that I was one of the few people who could understand them, because I was there."

In fact, Hirschmann -- the former chief engineering office of the submarine and a resident of Toronto since 1952 -- noted that the survivors of the Esquimalt made him a lifetime, card-carrying member of the Esquimalt Memorial Association after he met them again in 1995.

Lou Howard, 84, a former navigating officer and sonar operator on the Sarnia -- one of eight remaining Sarnia survivors -- called the reunion in Halifax an "amazing award for what we did when we were 21 years old."

U-boat 190 had lurked outside the Halifax harbour for almost 50 days. The Esquimalt's sonar detected the submarine. Sure that it had been spotted, the German submarine command panicked and fired an acoustic torpedo that zeroed in on the throbbing sound of the ship's propellers.

The explosion ripped apart the stern of Esquimalt, and within four minutes the minesweeper had sunk.

Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

Photo credit: Canadian Second World War veterans Lou Howard, second from left, and Leo McDougall, right, look over a book of remembrance along with German veteran Werner Hirschmann in the CFB Stadacona Chapel of Remembrance yesterday in Halifax. Howard and McDougall served on the HMCS Sarnia and helped to rescue survivors from the HMCS Esquimalt after it was torpedoed by the German U-190 submarine on April 16, 1945. Hirschmann was the chief engineering officer on the U-boat and now lives in Canada.
    Ryan Taplin, Canwest News Service
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe there is a book out there written by one of the men on U-190 that I have and its a good book but I forget the name and dont feel like getting up to go get it.
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    I believe there is a book out there written by one of the men on U-190 that I have and its a good book but I forget the name and dont feel like getting up to go get it.
    You're a lot of help.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    So Texas, do we get the name of the book?
    Last edited by superchef; 07-10-2008 at 12:12 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by superchef View Post
    So Texas, do we get the name of the book?
    I forget the name of it, but you can't miss it. Its the one with pages, and words, and stuff..
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Wild card search for U 190 came up with "U190 and the HMCS Esquimalt" by Bill Walker.Might could that be what you're thinking of?
    If you've never met a bunch of sailors who survived a sinking,you will be amazed at how indelible their memories are.
    It was a time when they were young and suddenly thrust into a survival situation.That kind of makes it stick in their memory.Take advantage and listent to their stories because once they have passed away,if they haven't passed it down to someone for retelling,that piece of history is gone forever.
    Last edited by doughesson; 07-10-2008 at 01:48 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

its another place another time I think... written from the German perspective
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Thread Information