MembersZone Subscriber

Default Akron Mercury Monitor

Does anyone have one of these? We just purchased one. The only thing I see bad about it the instructions say to not use with out first attaching the front safety strap to something? What would you attach it to, the burning structure, LOL. I suppose you could loop the line in front of the unit and tie off to it. It is suppose to be a quick attack unit, but taking time to connect the safety strap to something seems to make the unit not real user friendly.
    Was just wondering if anyone has some experience with this unit.

Stay Safe,

js

MembersZone Subscriber

We have 5 of them. The rep that did the demo showed us how it digs into concrete by kicking it pretty hard while it was flowing, unmanned, unstrapped. It didnt move. its my opinion that is simply a liability statement.

An easy option is to create a loop (like a Chicago loop) but dont cross the hose under itself; instead strap the monitor back to the hose if youre concerned about it. I personally don't think many co's use the strap.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

The main use our strap gets is to attach the monitor to the engine, in case it comes out of the bracket that it is mounted to on the rear. It may hit the rear step, but won't be dragging on the ground. Just in case.

We'll also use it if leaving the monitor unmanned. When manned, no need for the strap. It is very stable and digs in very well.

Forum Member

We put one on our first due engine. We are very satisfied with it and will probably buy a second one in the near future. It has worked quite well in training scenarios. We have not yet used it at a real fire.(Apparently we have a pretty good fire prevention program.)

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like veryone is happy with the unit. Another question, do you all have the monitor set up to a pre-connect? We are looking at laying 150 ft. of 3 inch in the top hose bed and using the 2.5 inch outlet on the back. The only problem looks like trying to find a place to mount the bracket where it does not interfear with any rear compartment doors. Does anyone just have the monitor laying on top of the hose in the hose lay?

Thanks again,

js

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Ahh, where to put the mercury monitor... what a wonderful problem to have

Ours is bolted to the back vertical surface of the truck, connected to 300' of 3" in a dead lay. Take what you need, leave the rest.

Very happy with it. I put it head to head with the Blitzfire monitor ( have one of them to ) and it won hands down. Flowed more ( had a flow meter ) shot farther, more manuverable, nozzle articulates more, lighter weight, so on and so forth. Blitzfire has that safety shutdown, but that was it.

The officer that oversaw the purchase of the Blitzfire got a bit miffed when I bought a different monitor, but he didn't have a leg to stand on when I evaluated numerous monitors head to head, he just looked at a Blitzfire and said " We'll take it ".

He did raise concerns about no safety shutown which the Blitz has. He inquired about moving it without the safety shutdown.

Well jeez, I just figured we would shut it off before moving it

MembersZone Subscriber

Another option for securing the PM is to use a set of irons. Pound the halligan in the ground and use the strap for securing. this method does not work well on concrete or pavement though
    "Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself."

Forum Member

We have them on just about all of our trucks but they dont get used very much. I have done some training with them and the safety strap is not really needed. Do not though pound or hammer the legs into the ground. The little tips on them will break which will cause the moniter to loose traction.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFDMAXX View Post

Ours is bolted to the back vertical surface of the truck, connected to 300' of 3" in a dead lay. Take what you need, leave the rest.

Very happy with it. I put it head to head with the Blitzfire monitor ( have one of them to ) and it won hands down. Flowed more ( had a flow meter ) shot farther, more manuverable, nozzle articulates more, lighter weight, so on and so forth. Blitzfire has that safety shutdown, but that was it.

The officer that oversaw the purchase of the Blitzfire got a bit miffed when I bought a different monitor, but he didn't have a leg to stand on when I evaluated numerous monitors head to head, he just looked at a Blitzfire and said " We'll take it ".

He did raise concerns about no safety shutown which the Blitz has. He inquired about moving it without the safety shutdown.

Well jeez, I just figured we would shut it off before moving it

You're comparing apples to oranges! The Blitzfire flows 500gpm vs 1000gpm on the Mercury. If you want something comparable to the Mercury but with more flow you should have looked at the Crossfire with TFT. 1000gpm and it has the shut-off valve like the Blitzfire.

Forum Member

What a great problem. We just got our first portable monitor this year (we went with Blitzfire) and it has saved us on two fires.

1. House fire, fire started on an enclosed porch, Fire ruptured the gas meter. Used Blitzfire to put out fire on porch and control the gas meter until it could be shut off safely.

2. Suspicious Origin Restaurant Fire, fire was venting through roof when we arrived on scene, Steel building, Chief had me lay the blitz to shoot into through a backdoor into the attic area where fire was hottest to try and cool steel to help prevent roof collapse. Not only did it work, I happened to be on the seat of the fire, knocking it down rapidly. When conditions permitted, interior teams mopped up rest of fire in short order.

We connected it to our 2 1/2" line off the back of the engine. Volunteer Department in a town with lots of hydrants, we expect it to be a good tool for many many years.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by flamewalker25 View Post
    You're comparing apples to oranges! The Blitzfire flows 500gpm vs 1000gpm on the Mercury. If you want something comparable to the Mercury but with more flow you should have looked at the Crossfire with TFT. 1000gpm and it has the shut-off valve like the Blitzfire.
    Hold on there hoss. Give me a little credit for knowing the capabilities of the equipment that I spec'd, investigated, spent a lot of time using the demo, and then purchased.

There are different configurations of the Mercury monitor. The one you are refering to has the 5" LDH inlet I'm sure. The one I purchased has a single 2 1/2" inlet and is rated at 500gpm. Fed with a 3" line we have flows of just over 600gpm w/ the 1 3/4 deluge tip, verified by a flowmeter before purchase. ( because I want to know EXACTLY the capabilities and limits of my equipment. )

Check it out yourself. You will find the Mercury in a few different configurations. I purchased ours as a quick ATTACK monitor, if it was fed by LDH it would have to sit right where we set it up. Not a very dynamic appliance for attack. It would be a small boat anchor.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have an Elkhart Stinger, and it too says to use it with the safety chain (or strap). We find a double power loop does the job just fine, but keep a short length of chain and a 2 foot long (1" diameter) stake for use on hillsides or suspect terrain.

If that monitor can flip and pull a pair of 2 1/2's, that's a show I wanna see...
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Like this????
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 01-21-2010 at 10:34 AM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Like this????

Same idea. Only our is mounted higher so very little hose is out of the bed while preconnected to the monitor, and it is mounted on a recessed surface which is much more protected, not on the rearmost back panel.

Forum Member

Hold on there hoss. Give me a little credit for knowing the capabilities of the equipment that I spec'd, investigated, spent a lot of time using the demo, and then purchased.

There are different configurations of the Mercury monitor. The one you are refering to has the 5" LDH inlet I'm sure. The one I purchased has a single 2 1/2" inlet and is rated at 500gpm. Fed with a 3" line we have flows of just over 600gpm w/ the 1 3/4 deluge tip, verified by a flowmeter before purchase. ( because I want to know EXACTLY the capabilities and limits of my equipment. )

Check it out yourself. You will find the Mercury in a few different configurations. I purchased ours as a quick ATTACK monitor, if it was fed by LDH it would have to sit right where we set it up. Not a very dynamic appliance for attack. It would be a small boat anchor.
    Well with all the extra weight I've gained since getting married "hoss" would be an accurate description for me!!

Actually on the Crossfire you can get 3-6" single inlets or a dual 2.5". I'm sure you were thorough in your research. Since you only mentioned the Blitzfire on your previous posts I wasn't sure if you had looked at the Crossfire or not. No biggie.

Savage / Hyneman 08'

Actually, we have a Crossfire monitor as well. It's on an engine as the deck gun, can be removed and put on a portable base. I've used it many times.
    While it will never be replace by the smaller "blitz" monitors ( we just call em a blitzgun. Not because of the manufacture, just a generic name because that's what we have em for. A blitz attack. ) The crossfire has a wonderfull flow when fed by 2 3" lines, but is a bit hard to move around. It also lacks a shutoff at the monitor.

I was looking for the smallest, most portable and best performing attack monitor I could get, and the Mercury met that need rather well. It makes me happy

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have any experience with the Elkhart RAM monitor vs the Akron?

My department is looking for a quick attack monitor preconnected to a 3" line.

What are the pro's and con's of both.

Which do you prefer?

MembersZone Subscriber

If memory serves me correct, the Elkhart will operate at the lowest angle of all 3 (TFT, Akron, Elkhart) "mini" monitors. Thats a plus.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Like this????
    An engine with ladders on both sides? Interesting. Dont recall ever seeing that before.

As for the topic, quite a few of the FDs around here have the Akron model. Only one has the TFT as far as I know. The one time I saw the Akron in action, they didnt strap it to anything and it didnt move at all. It also knocked the p*ss out of the fire...
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Default mercury monitor strap

We use the pick end of a halligan bar to drive into the dirt through the small carabiner straight out infront of the mercury monitor. This seems to hold it in place well.

Forum Member

This is all good information. As a small cash-strapped volunteer fire department with limited staffing, our first concern was safety. We had a bigger 1250 gpm portable (not really) monitor, but it rarely ever got used. So, we looked for something smaller as we no longer use the 2 1/2" playpipe combo we had for 40 years. We made our decision based on really only a couple of points after having our local dealer show us them in a side by side demo. We think the safety shutoff is critical with the possibility of 250 pounds of nozzle reaction. The other thing we like, especially for our initial attack, is the really low attack angle that lets us put the stream in the front door. We picked the blue one.

Forum Member

what was the other option? the red pill?

MembersZone Subscriber

If you flowed the Blitz and Mercury sideby side (with a flow meter) you saw the Blitz shut down at around 400gpm. And you'll find the "safety shutoff" will shut down at the least hammer. A gimmick. Very expensive and heavy gimmick of no real value. As I recall the Akron factory rep. said not to use 3" as will "overdrive" the Mercury. The extra flow/nozzle reaction may be more than safe with the base/leg tip design.

Note TFT has a newer quick attack monitor where the essentially copied the Mercury (no auto shutoff). Blitz Lite. I have not seen or tried one.

Forum Member

http://www.tft.com/productsearch/pro...roduct=XXL111A

does look an awful lot like the mercury monitor

Thread Information