Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jobs In Ohio

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Jobs In Ohio

Any departments in Ohio testing???? I'm dieing trying to figure this out..

Forum Member

Your best bet is to not try in Ohio. Your chances are slim to none.

MembersZone Subscriber

Gee Cowbucks, a little salty.....Im just joking, as I also made the plunge and it is the best move I have made.

To the OP, check the local papers classefieds and legal notices.

Forum Member

Yeah, it is hard to get hired here. But that will get better in the next 2-3 yrs, as there will be a bunch of retirements (due to the first batch of guys timing out of the DROP program). You pretty much need to have your p-card and 240 to get hired - even for big cities with their own academies, you need the extra credit for the test.

Checking the classifieds weekly is the way to go. For a couple of years now, my Sunday routine was to log onto www.ohio.com (Akron Beacon), www.cleveland.com (Cleveland Plain Dealer) and www.columbusdispatch.com and search for firefighter jobs.

Also, call around to every small city/township/village within driving distance of you and ask if they have a part time or volunteer department. They don't usually advertise in the paper, especially if they continually take apps.

Good luck. I stuck it out, and I'm on the verge of starting my dream job with an awesome department.

PS - I recommend the seminars and study guides offered by Don McNea. I don't think I'd be in the position I'm in without what I learned there.

Crack open your wallet and subscibe to a service. I recommend www.firerecruit.com If you dont, you competetion already has.

Here is their listings-

Newark FD OH Entry Level FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC 7/2/2008 8/8/2008
    Ashland FD OH Entry Level FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC 7/2/2008 7/18/2008
    Miami Township Fire/EMS (Open until filled) OH Entry Level FIREFIGHTER/EMT & PARAMEDIC (Part-time) 6/29/2008 8/7/2008
    Glendale FD OH Command/Admin FIRE CHIEF 6/27/2008 7/14/2008
    Berea FD (First 200 applications) OH Entry Level FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC 6/27/2008 8/8/2008
    Mansfield FD OH Entry Level FIREFIGHTER 6/25/2008 8/6/2008
    Miami Valley Fire/EMS Alliance (Opens June 16th) OH Entry Level FIREFIGHTER/EMT or PARAMEDIC (Full and Part-time) 5/27/2008 8/15/2008
    Dayton FD (Open until filled) OH Command/Admin ASSISTANT FIRE CHIEF 6/19/2008 8/7/2008
    City of Oxford FD (Open until filled) OH Entry Level PART-TIME FIREFIGHTER/EMT 5/27/2008 8/7/2008
    City of Oxford FD (Open until filled) OH Entry Level VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER/EMT 5/27/2008 8/7/2008
    University of Akron's Summit College (Open until filled) OH Prevention/Instructional ASSOCIATE/FULL PROFESSOR of FIRE TECH 6/25/2008 8/13/2008
    Painesville FD OH Entry Level PART-TIME FIREFIGHTER/EMT-B 5/30/2008 Continuous
    Monroe Township FD OH Entry Level VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTER/EMT 1/30/2008 Continuous
    Sycamore Township FD OH Entry Level FIREFIGHTER/EMT and PARAMEDIC (Part-time) 8/10/2007 Continuous
    Munroe Falls FD (Open until filled) OH Entry Level PART-TIME/PAID CALL FIREFIGHTER 3/17/2008 Continuous
    Hartville FD OH Entry Level FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC (Part-Time) 8/3/2007 Continuous
    Hamilton Township FD (Open until filled) OH Entry Level PART-TIME FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC 6/12/2008 8/1/2008
    Wilmington FD (Open until filled) OH Entry Level INTERMITTENT FIREFIGHTER/EMT 6/26/2008 8/15/2008
    Salem/Morrow FD (Open until filled) OH Entry Level FIREFIGHTER/EMT or PARAMEDIC (Part-time) 8/1/2007 Continuous
    Twinsburg FD (Open until filled) OH Entry Level FIREFIGHTER/MEDIC (Part-time) 7/2/2008 8/21/2008
    Colerain Township FD OH Entry Level PART-TIME FIREFIGHTER 12/5/2006 Continuous
    Mentor FD OH Entry Level PART-TIME FIREFIGHTER 10/12/2006 Continuous
    Little Miami FD (Open until filled) OH Entry Level PART-TIME FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC 9/13/2006 Continuous
    Miami Township FD OH Entry Level PART-TIME FIREFIGHTER 8/8/2005 Continuous
    Hamilton FD OH Entry Level FIREFIGHTER 2/20/2008 Continuous
    Huron FD OH Entry Level PAID CALL FIREFIGHTER 4/25/2005 Continuous
    Village of Grand River OH Entry Level PART-TIME FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC 6/3/2005 Continuous
    Madison FD OH Entry Level PART-TIME FIREFIGHTER 3/22/2007 Continuous

Forum Member

Talking

Last edited by RustBeltFire; 07-15-2008 at 06:34 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MontvilleFire39 View Post
    ...I also made the plunge and it is the best move I have made.
    Couldn't agree more. I had my OFA FF I+II, NREMT-P and was getting over 100% on those tests, and there were just no jobs to be had.

You know the reason all the trees in pennsylvania lean to the west?

Because ohio SUCKS
    Last edited by formerbuckeye; 07-12-2008 at 01:05 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Its funny how the only poeple who try to answer this guys question are the crybabies who left ohio because nobody would hire there stupid asses. Just because you arent a good enough canidate to get hired here doesnt mean it is impossible. Just take alot of tests and you are gonna get on.

Stop being a sore loser and enjoy your right to work states.

Whatever cities offer tests in the next few years will be the ones to take. Like boondocks said alot of guys will be retiring because of the DROP program and cities will be doing alot of hiring to replace them. For the most part you will need your EMT Paramedic card to have much of chance. There are some cities that dont require it but there are very few. Wherever you live you could look up neighboring cities HR or civil service #'s and give them a call to see when they will offer their next test. These people are almost always very helpful. Also firerecruit.com is very helpful for job openings in Ohio or other states if you choose to go that route. Good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buckels128 View Post

Stop being a sore loser and enjoy your right to work states.
    Two of my good friends just lost their jobs in ohio due to budget cuts, with 8 and 10 years on respectively, and they have NO chance of getting back on due to a lack of turnover in the department. I can't even imagine how it must feel for a guy with a wife and kids to support to go stand in the unemployment line, not to mention trying to find some dead end job to make ends meet.

And as far as your right to work comment, their Iaff Local didn't do jack for them.

So thank you, I will enjoy my right to work state with my bigger department, better pay, better chance of advancement, and the chance I've been given to live in a vibrant part of the country that has one of those little things that Ohio is missing, an economy.
    Last edited by formerbuckeye; 07-12-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Forum Member

Former buckeye you are a real P.O.S. and if you are actually on "the Job" than you know how bad it is to be called one! The kid just wanted to know if anyone was hiring. YES they are! Lots of them! So keep your crap to yourself, and stop blaming that lack of jobs for your non-employment here in Ohio, and blame your ****-poor attitide as the reason you never got hired! I really doubt you are on a "real" department, who the heck would hire someone with your attitude?

MembersZone Subscriber

So if it is so great at your new better bigger dept. Why do you waste your time dogging Ohio. I love Ohio and leaving never crossed my mind. You couldnt handle the competition and left. Good for you. Green is not your color. Stop crying. This job is hard to get for a reason and should not be handed to anyone.

Go Bucks
    Last edited by Buckels128; 07-12-2008 at 05:16 PM.

Forum Member

So if it is so great at your new better bigger dept. Why do you waste your time dogging Ohio.
    It is great at my department, and I'd just hate to see this kid turn out to be another guy who spends his 20's working at a private ambulance company waiting for someone at _________ Township Fire Department to retire, so he can compete with the Chiefs' kid and some guys brother for a job.

Stop crying.
    Dude I'm far from crying. At the time I wasn't thrilled about leaving ohio, but hindsight is 20/20 and not getting on full time anywhere was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

Go Bucks
    I still go to my OSU backer bar every saturday in the fall to hang out with other people in scarlet and grey :-).

MembersZone Subscriber

I got on when I was 22, never worked at a private. If you think your giving this kid good advice by telling him it is too hard to become a fireman in ohio so move south your a moron and if you thought you were going to get on in a small township thats your fault for being ignorant.

Burg1244 look at the sites boondock listed every sunday, take every test you see and you will get on. (Look for cities not townships) My city has hired almost 20 in the last 2 yrs.

Go Browns

Forum Member

I got on when I was 22
    Good for you dude, I say that in all honesty, I'm extremely thankful that I too got on at a young age. (Managed to avoid the privates, but I was a full time part time fireman)

My city has hired almost 20 in the last 2 yrs.
    What city? I'm genuinely curious.

MembersZone Subscriber

I also started the full-time part-time(which should be illegal) thing when I was 18. While I agree the position to applicant ratio is inflated in Ohio. You end up getting guys (usualy) who realy love the job.
    I dont feel like arguing with you anymore. I only wasted my time posting because I think the "there's no fire jobs in ohio" excuse is BS and very played out. The crew of my friends I tested with are all Full-Time Union firemen in NE Ohio and all 25 years old or younger.
    Bottom Line is there are plenty fire jobs in Ohio I live here I should know. Plus with about 2 years left in DROP theres gonna be ALOT of big shoes to fill in Ohio.

I work for Euclid Ohio. However these opinions are mine and do not represent the opinions of my Dept.
    Last edited by Buckels128; 07-12-2008 at 07:35 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by formerbuckeye View Post
    Good for you dude, I say that in all honesty, I'm extremely thankful that I too got on at a young age. (Managed to avoid the privates, but I was a full time part time fireman)

What city? I'm genuinely curious.
    i agree, i would like to see the citys in OH that hire every 2 years, lol .....anyone! look outside of the state!

MembersZone Subscriber

Cities in NE Ohio who have hired friends of mine or poeple I know full-time in the last 2 years include:
    Euclid
    South Euclid
    Ashtabula City
    Ashtabula TWP
    Willoughby
    Cleveland Heights
    Mentor
    Painesville TWP
    Perry
    Fairport
    Eastlake
    Mayfield
    Lyndhurst
    Concord

These cities are in either Lake or the east side of Cuyahoga county. Thats 1 and a half of Ohios 88 counties.

Im sure there are many more. I dont know that many poeple.
    Last edited by Buckels128; 07-12-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Forum Member

Buckels here is the NW part of OH that has hired in the last 2 years:
    Toledo
    Findlay
    Sandusky
    Freemont
    Perrysburg
    Bryan
    Springfield
    Madison twp
    Tiffin

formerbuckeye....stay in maryland or virginia what-ever county you work for.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skiwiz6 View Post

formerbuckeye....stay in maryland or virginia what-ever county you work for.
    Haha, no argument from me there.

Again out of curiosity, where do you work at? My OFA class had a few guys from NW ohio, Sylvania, Lima, Sidney and some other places that I can't remember.

Thread Information