Default UTVs: Kubota? Mule? Ranger? J.Deere? Bobcat? Argo?

I know this comes up every year, but I haven't seen it here lately. I'm trying to figure out which UTV to buy and how to outfit it for wildland fire use. The ones I hear the most about are the Kubota RV 900, Kawasaki Mule 3010 (2009 Model is the 4010), and the Polaris Ranger 700. But what about a Bobcat or a John Deere? I don't know why they wouldn't be as good, but I never hear anyone talk about using them for wildland fire. Also, what about an Argo Avenger? It's an 8-wheel AMPHIBIOUS vehicle (that's right, it floats, even with 800 pounds in it - I've done it!). And it goes anywhere you want. I know some folks use it for EMS uses, but I just never hear anyone talk about using it for wildland fire. Any reason for that?

Forum Member

We operate the new 3010D with 1100lb box payload.

Skid
    -70 Gal Water
    -5 Gal Foam
    -13HP Darley Davey
    - 75' Boostlite Hose on small Hannay

Handtools
    -2 ProHoes
    -1 Pulaski
    -1 Drip Torch

Accs.
    -100' 1"Forestry Hose
    -200' 3/4" Toy Hose
    -2 Foam Nozzles
    -2 Spare Twister Nozzles

Forum Member

this is a bobcat piece, i believe it had like 100 gallons and a small foam tank and a 50ft. hose reel
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Puttin the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Forum Member

Dont count out a Rhino or new John Deere. Thet are awesome machines.

Onlocation, I dont think thats the Bobcat he was talking about. Slightly different price range.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Dont count out a Rhino or new John Deere. Thet are awesome machines.

Onlocation, I dont think thats the Bobcat he was talking about. Slightly different price range.
    it sure had me drooling though, it was at the vendors day at the Texas A&M summer fire school a couple of years ago.
    back to reality though, there are several departments in our area that use the 6X6 rangers and they work great, they can get up into brushy areas where a 1 ton cant.
    here is some more pics of that bobcat

MembersZone Subscriber

We've tried for a few years to get a grant for a vehicle like that (hasn't happened yet).

Before looking at all the different brands and models out there, ask yourself what type of capabilities you need.

We'd like to use one to shuttle personnel and hand tools forward where crews are working on foot and the trucks can't get to. We'd like to have some water (50-100 gallons), but things like drinking water, rakes, shovels, drip torch, chainsaws and leaf blowers get priority over lots of tank water.

This wouldn't be a first-out type of vehicle...it would be for difficult or extended incidents where it can complement the units working on scene.

An area department uses a 4 wheeler ATV with a little spray can on it. Our chief was interested in getting one, but I'll caution you against it for the following reasons (we've dumped THAT idea):

1. You should operate in crews of at least two...doesn't work with a 4 wheeler.
    2. You can't drive safely and operate a spray nozzle.
    3. There just isn't enough room for the tools you really need.
    4. A four wheeler is going to let you get into places that may be difficult to get out of...which makes it even more important to have another person (another set of eyes)...which you don't have.
    5. No roll bars on a 4 wheeler.
    Last edited by SilverCity4; 10-29-2008 at 01:22 PM.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Forum Member

Default Operation Ranger

Keep Trying!
    It took three years of applying for it, but we were successful in late 2006.
    We were fortunate to get a Polaris Ranger through the US Smokeless Tobacco "Operation Ranger" grant program.

Since then we bought a trailer, and put a roof and lightbar on, and were are looking for a deal on a little skif unit for it.
    It's been used to support wildland firefighting, for off-road search & rescue, and BLS Medical support for community events.

It is very flexible, nimble and we have not been able to get it stuck yet.

Forum Member

The Ones I've Seen Have A Skid On Them Where The Entire Tank, Pump And All Can Be Lifted Out With A Hoist When Just The Bed Is Needed, Very Versitile Piece Of Equipment

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Nmblm641

I've had a lot of sucess with the Polaris Ranger 700 (6x6)with a 75 gal RKO skid unit. I had one in Michigan that we used to follow up dozer line, and we use one here in New Mexico for mop up and Rx burns. The Ranger has great speed and manuverability. The only issue you may run into is trailering it to the fire,as it does slow you down a bit, especially in hilly country.

Forum Member

Here is a starting point. We haveworked with Keith for years. They built our skid for our 3010D Mules. In New Deleveries, 2nd page, 3rd row, 2nd col, is the unit they built for us.

http://www.rkoenterprises.com/photogalshow.asp

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Afg

We were able to obtain an JD Gator under last year's AFG. Found out later it was the last year for these vehicles unless they change the guidance again. We went with an eclosed trailer and 2 skids from Kimtek, One for medical and one for Fire / rescue. We lookesd at all of the units and went with the JD due to ground clearence, capacity and the OSHA compliance. We also went with the Diesel model for added torque and lower CO emmissions.

After one season in service, we wouldn't change a thing, the unit has out performed our expectations.
    Last edited by utfd704; 10-31-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

The local ATV dealer here offers a program for F.D.s we can get a UTV and a JETSKI. all we do is maintain it for a year and they sell them next year as a used model.

Forum Member

The Kawasaki Mule Trans is an excellent choice because of it's versatility. The unit can handle 5 EMT's/Firefighters while providing medical provisions, quickly provide patient transport (fully immobilized) with room for tending EMT all inside the cab enclosure, and within minutes convert to a larger payload bed configuration for a slide-in fire skid. View the unique uses of this vehicle on www.staufferco.com and see how a utility vehicle can be multi-tasked to get the most bang out of your buck. A CAFS unit with stored energy was chosen for the fire skid because of limited room available on UTV's.

Forum Member

We have an argo 8wheeler use it mostley for rescue calls and to haul personnel on brush fires. we did have a 6 wheel version but it was sold as the 8 wheel drive was more suited to our needs. Pictures can be seen at ellistonfd.smugmug.com go under trucks then to argo gallery it is the one marked elliston vfd. It also has a removeable stokes basket. We have also been able to take it places a neighboring rescue squad was unable to take their 6 wheeler (I think it was a polaris). As far taking it into a pond I would only do that if it has a motor but will work with out one but we manly use it for crossing creeks and streams but we have no complaints other than we wish we would have gotten the 8x8 to start with
    Last edited by ffemtb722; 12-31-2008 at 01:45 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

We have a Polaris Ranger 500 6x6. We love it wouldn't get rid of it for anything except a new 700. We have a 100gl skid with a 250gpm Honda pump and a 1 1/2 short line where we can drive by the fire line and attack it works AWESOME we get called everywhere for our ranger. We can put a lot of water on a fire and get it knocked out quick. A hill, deep gulley’s no problems. Another department has a John Deere Gator, they don’t care for it, does not have the power you will need (it has a lawn mower type engine). I will post some pictures of what we have. Only down fall is we need a bigger tank that will fit in the bed or will have to remove it and fab something up

Smile

I would go with a kawasaki mule ive driven them in all types of conditions and they never get stuck, unlike the other brands of UTV's. The mules will go through things the other ones won't and they usually get better mpg.

Default Free Lease on a Yamaha Rhino

I don't know if you have looked into the Yamaha Rhino at all or not, but I am from MT and the Yamaha dealers up here do a thing where we get to use a Rhino for free, do whatever we need with it, and then they replace it every 4-6 months with another brand new one. I believe that is a Yamaha policy that they have for the fire depts. You could contact your local dealer and see if they could look into anything like that for you. We don't use ours a whole lot, but when we do, it sure comes in handy.

Thread Information