1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default Aberdeen Prvg Gd Fire

    Hi,

    Anyone have any info on this fire department? I saw the gs 5/6 spot(s) and was just curious.

    Thanks,

    Kev

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,428

    Default

    Harford County, Md. Company 12. Upper Western Shore of the Chesapeake Bay, located within close proximity to the confluence where the Susquehanna River dumps into the Bay.

    3 Stations- Aberdeen Area station is Hq. Houses an Engine and Truck, staffed with 4 each. Sometimes more depending on manning. Cross-manned are 2 brush units, a tanker and a Heavy Rescue/Haz Mat. There are also two Paramedic Ambulances, staffed by GS8 Paramedics (no firefighting.) A/A is the home and HQ of United States Army Ordnance and also home to several Weapons, Explosives and Automotive reasearch & development commands. If it goes bang, boom, kapow or BLAM chances are it was probably developed and tested at APG.

    Also located in the Aberdeen Area at the Phillips Army Airfield is the ARFF station, only manned as necessary with personnel from the A/A station.

    The Edgewood Area station is located in what was once known as The Edgewood Arsenal. One engine and one truck are staffed with 4 each. Cross manned is another brush piece and a CBN Decon Engine company, set up mainly for chemical weapon accidents decontamination. Edgewood Area is home to several Army laboratories who's main goal is chemical weapons research. There are also 2 ALS rigs here as well.

    APGFD works the 7 group 24/24 schedule. You work 4 shifts then get a 2 day break, 4 times. Then you work 5 shifts, 2 day break, then 4 again except this time you receive a "long weekend" which is 4 days off that are always FRI SAT SUN MON.

    Depending on which station you are assigned to, will depend on your "station life." The A/A is known as "main post" with a large housing area, the commissary, the PX, a bowling alley and a movie theater, lots of recreational activites, etc. Main station runs some mutual aid, mostly engine and truck runs with an occasional tanker and heavy rescue run thrown in. The station is fairly new, but with some major HVAC problems (at least there were when I left in 05. Mold growth was a rampant problem.....) Each FF has their own bunkroom that you share with someone on an opposite shift. Each room contains one bed, 2 lockers and personal items (chair & TV stand, desk, etc.) The station is also a combined Police/Fire station. The cops pretty much stick to their "side of the wall."

    The Edgewood Station is where you want to go if you are a trucky and want to see working fire. The 2 communities that surround the base, Abingdon (Harford County Company 4) and Joppa (Harford County Company 8, The Joppa-Magnolia Fire Co.) have Edgewood's Truck due on several of their initial box assignments. The area is shall we say, uhh, is "busy" for firefighting. If you are assigned to the Truck in the Edgewood Area, (a 100' Pierce quint) there is a real good possibility that you will be pulling hose during the daytime out on a "4 Box" or an "8 box." The station itself is very old, but was rehabbed around 2000. Each member again, has their own bunkroom that you share with a shift opposite. One nice thing about Edgewood is that they still have a pole that can be used. Nothing like sliding that thing when you are assigned to the truck and going out on an 801 box.

    Firefighters are represented by the IAFF (Local F-267.) Training is OK, could be a bit improved. The Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute's Northeast Regional Training Center is located at Aberdeen Area. If they are giving a class that you want to attend, 90% of the time if manning is ok, you may attend at no charge. Just take a portable with you and if there is something that sounds good, jump in the pickup and go.

    One last thing. Anyone applying for APGFD, you MUST and I repeat, you MUST have an absolutely CLEAN criminal record and background check. APGFD requires a classified security clearance due to the FD's presence being required at tests. If you have a criminal or otherwise questionable background including drugs or excessive alcohol use, you need not apply.

    Hope this helps. Any questions just ask.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 07-13-2008 at 10:29 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    100

    Default Backround checks

    They will also do checks on your family. A frend of mine just went through all that a couple years ago.

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    FWDBUFF,

    Thanks very much for the info. With the exception of being fired from a job in 02, my background is spotless. I applied and figure I have as much chance as anyone else.

    Thanks again for so much input,

    Kev

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Kev,

    You going to bounce to the East coast? Must be tired of the wildfires...

  6. #6
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extinguisher911 View Post
    Kev,

    You going to bounce to the East coast? Must be tired of the wildfires...
    A permanent job is really all I want. I figure I have as much chance as anyone.

    Did you apply for this one?

    Kev

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    138

    Default

    I did not realize you were not fulltime.

    I have only applied for Great Lakes, I think I have the best chance out of any there.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extinguisher911 View Post
    I did not realize you were not fulltime.

    I have only applied for Great Lakes, I think I have the best chance out of any there.
    I cannot remember if I applied to Great Lakes. I would check the Navy website, but I can never remember my password.

    I was only a Term for 2 years and then went full-time at USAF Plant 42. We are private contract there, but the requirements are the same as any Air Force or DOD base (FF1, FF2, Awareness, Ops, ARFF, Rescue Tech 1 and EMT-D). We all have our instructor 1, officer1 and Inspector 1 and 2. We use the TO105E-9 and all apparatus is owned by the USAF. The only difference that I can see is we work a 56 vs. a 72.

    My former Chief wants me to apply for a permanent opening where I used to be a term. It never hurts to apply.

    Kev

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    My former Chief wants me to apply for a permanent opening where I used to be a term. It never hurts to apply.

    Kev
    It always helps if the Chief wants you!

    I am hoping I made a good impression with the Chief. I am not sure if he can bypass people to hire a Level 4, as it seems I am qualified as. I also have no idea how many people typically apply for openings.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Extinguisher911 View Post
    It always helps if the Chief wants you!

    I am hoping I made a good impression with the Chief. I am not sure if he can bypass people to hire a Level 4, as it seems I am qualified as. I also have no idea how many people typically apply for openings.
    For a permanent job, I would assume close to 100. It could be more. I want to say the referral list is usually about 20-30 candidates, but with 6 openings it should be a lot more.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Harford County, Md. Company 12. Upper Western Shore of the Chesapeake Bay, located within close proximity to the confluence where the Susquehanna River dumps into the Bay.

    3 Stations- Aberdeen Area station is Hq. Houses an Engine and Truck, staffed with 4 each. Sometimes more depending on manning. Cross-manned are 2 brush units, a tanker and a Heavy Rescue/Haz Mat. There are also two Paramedic Ambulances, staffed by GS8 Paramedics (no firefighting.) A/A is the home and HQ of United States Army Ordnance and also home to several Weapons, Explosives and Automotive reasearch & development commands. If it goes bang, boom, kapow or BLAM chances are it was probably developed and tested at APG.

    Also located in the Aberdeen Area at the Phillips Army Airfield is the ARFF station, only manned as necessary with personnel from the A/A station.

    The Edgewood Area station is located in what was once known as The Edgewood Arsenal. One engine and one truck are staffed with 4 each. Cross manned is another brush piece and a CBN Decon Engine company, set up mainly for chemical weapon accidents decontamination. Edgewood Area is home to several Army laboratories who's main goal is chemical weapons research. There are also 2 ALS rigs here as well.

    APGFD works the 7 group 24/24 schedule. You work 4 shifts then get a 2 day break, 4 times. Then you work 5 shifts, 2 day break, then 4 again except this time you receive a "long weekend" which is 4 days off that are always FRI SAT SUN MON.

    Depending on which station you are assigned to, will depend on your "station life." The A/A is known as "main post" with a large housing area, the commissary, the PX, a bowling alley and a movie theater, lots of recreational activites, etc. Main station runs some mutual aid, mostly engine and truck runs with an occasional tanker and heavy rescue run thrown in. The station is fairly new, but with some major HVAC problems (at least there were when I left in 05. Mold growth was a rampant problem.....) Each FF has their own bunkroom that you share with someone on an opposite shift. Each room contains one bed, 2 lockers and personal items (chair & TV stand, desk, etc.) The station is also a combined Police/Fire station. The cops pretty much stick to their "side of the wall."

    The Edgewood Station is where you want to go if you are a trucky and want to see working fire. The 2 communities that surround the base, Abingdon (Harford County Company 4) and Joppa (Harford County Company 8, The Joppa-Magnolia Fire Co.) have Edgewood's Truck due on several of their initial box assignments. The area is shall we say, uhh, is "busy" for firefighting. If you are assigned to the Truck in the Edgewood Area, (a 100' Pierce quint) there is a real good possibility that you will be pulling hose during the daytime out on a "4 Box" or an "8 box." The station itself is very old, but was rehabbed around 2000. Each member again, has their own bunkroom that you share with a shift opposite. One nice thing about Edgewood is that they still have a pole that can be used. Nothing like sliding that thing when you are assigned to the truck and going out on an 801 box.

    Firefighters are represented by the IAFF (Local F-267.) Training is OK, could be a bit improved. The Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute's Northeast Regional Training Center is located at Aberdeen Area. If they are giving a class that you want to attend, 90% of the time if manning is ok, you may attend at no charge. Just take a portable with you and if there is something that sounds good, jump in the pickup and go.

    One last thing. Anyone applying for APGFD, you MUST and I repeat, you MUST have an absolutely CLEAN criminal record and background check. APGFD requires a classified security clearance due to the FD's presence being required at tests. If you have a criminal or otherwise questionable background including drugs or excessive alcohol use, you need not apply.

    Hope this helps. Any questions just ask.
    I was referred for both positions. Any advice or should I just sit and wait?

    Thanks,

    Kev

  12. #12
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,428

    Default

    1. Think long and hard. You are moving 3000 miles across the United States. APG is like anywhere else, it has it's problems but at the same time can be a good place to work. If some things there get straightened out, it could be one of the Army's premier Fire Departments.

    2. I dont know you, but if it were me, I would not accept the position without first coming out and exploring the area. Harford County is about 28 miles north of the Baltimore Metro area. It can be a good place to live if you like densely populated areas. Some of the busiest volunteer fire companies are close by (PG County, Md. and others.) There is also rural farmland within close proximity if that is more your way of life, however property values are high as are property taxes. If you want to internet search the area for housing, search the following:
    -Harford County, Md.
    -Cecil County, Md.
    -Baltimore County, Md.
    -Prince George's County, Md.
    -Chester County, Pa.
    -Delaware County, Pa.

    There are some counties in Pennsylvania and Delaware (New Castle County, I think?) that are within commuting distance to APG, I will look those up and post them later. Bottom line, you drive a half hour to the south, and you are in Baltimore. Drive one hour to the south, and you are in the DC Metro area. Drive a half-hour to the north, and you are in Wilmington, De. Drive an hour and 15 mins to the north and you are in Philadelphia. Drive 3 hours to the north and you are in the NYC Metro area!

    3. You will most likely get a telephone interview with the Chief. As stated, I wouldnt accept without first exploring the area, but thats me. If you are a current federal employee, and come for a visit, use the hotel at APG and get a Gov't rate. (Swan Creek Inn.) Right next to the firehouse (Building 2200 on main post)

    4. Give it a few weeks and if you dont hear anything, PM me and I will give you the firehouse phone number, and you can give the chief a call.

    Always keep my PM on tap, more than happy to lend you a hand, and will also help you with moving questions if it comes to that. I still have a bunch of friends down at APG and can get you guidance on almost any of the above-mentioned places to live.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 08-08-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  13. #13
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    1. Think long and hard. You are moving 3000 miles across the United States. APG is like anywhere else, it has it's problems but at the same time can be a good place to work. If some things there get straightened out, it could be one of the Army's premier Fire Departments.

    2. I dont know you, but if it were me, I would not accept the position without first coming out and exploring the area. Harford County is about 28 miles north of the Baltimore Metro area. It can be a good place to live if you like densely populated areas. Some of the busiest volunteer fire companies are close by (PG County, Md. and others.) There is also rural farmland within close proximity if that is more your way of life, however property values are high as are property taxes. If you want to internet search the area for housing, search the following:
    -Harford County, Md.
    -Cecil County, Md.
    -Baltimore County, Md.
    -Prince George's County, Md.
    -Chester County, Pa.
    -Delaware County, Pa.

    There are some counties in Pennsylvania and Delaware (New Castle County, I think?) that are within commuting distance to APG, I will look those up and post them later. Bottom line, you drive a half hour to the south, and you are in Baltimore. Drive one hour to the south, and you are in the DC Metro area. Drive a half-hour to the north, and you are in Wilmington, De. Drive an hour and 15 mins to the north and you are in Philadelphia. Drive 3 hours to the north and you are in the NYC Metro area!

    3. You will most likely get a telephone interview with the Chief. As stated, I wouldnt accept without first exploring the area, but thats me. If you are a current federal employee, and come for a visit, use the hotel at APG and get a Gov't rate. (Swan Creek Inn.) Right next to the firehouse (Building 2200 on main post)

    4. Give it a few weeks and if you dont hear anything, PM me and I will give you the firehouse phone number, and you can give the chief a call.

    Always keep my PM on tap, more than happy to lend you a hand, and will also help you with moving questions if it comes to that. I still have a bunch of friends down at APG and can get you guidance on almost any of the above-mentioned places to live.
    It's all good. My wife was given a written offer to work full-time at the Johns Hopkins APL in Laurel MD. When we were out there we toured homes in Laurel and Columbia. We totally loved it and are hoping things will work out. I originally tested at the Dulles/Reagan Airports about 6 months ago. That is what sparked our interest in MD in the first place.

    Unfortunately I work private contract at Plant 42, so no discount on hotel.

    Thanks for your feed back,

    Kev

  14. #14
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,428

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arff42 View Post
    It's all good. My wife was given a written offer to work full-time at the Johns Hopkins APL in Laurel MD. When we were out there we toured homes in Laurel and Columbia. We totally loved it and are hoping things will work out. I originally tested at the Dulles/Reagan Airports about 6 months ago. That is what sparked our interest in MD in the first place.

    Unfortunately I work private contract at Plant 42, so no discount on hotel.

    Thanks for your feed back,

    Kev
    BWI Airport was hiring a few months ago..........hint hint
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    BWI Airport was hiring a few months ago..........hint hint
    They want medics.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. City of Aberdeen, MS to charge county for fire runs
    By arhaney in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-28-2005, 02:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register