MembersZone Subscriber

Default Past experimentation of drugs during the hiring process.

I was wondering who all has had trouble in the past during the hiring process with depts because of past drug use or experimentation. I have experemented with drugs in college never was a user, but I was denied by a department for even an interview because of my past use of pharm. drugs and some marijuana. I have not touched a drug in almost 2 years. I would just like to know if anyone has had the same problem and how to explain to depts. this was not a common thing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Burns07 View Post
    I was wondering who all has had trouble in the past during the hiring process with depts because of past drug use or experimentation. I have experemented with drugs in college never was a user, but I was denied by a department for even an interview because of my past use of pharm. drugs and some marijuana. I have not touched a drug in almost 2 years. I would just like to know if anyone has had the same problem and how to explain to depts. this was not a common thing.
    In fact, if a department refused to hire people who honestly admitted to having experimented with alcohol or marijuana they would have few candidates to choose from.

Extensive use does raise questions. If you admitted to experimenting with marijuana 200 times will certainly raise a red flag. Experimenting with cocaine or methamphetamine is much more serious. Many agencies will eliminate you for any use of these and using prescription drugs without a prescription.

Some agencies want to see 5 years drug free. Some like LA City go beyond 5 years.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information