MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Obama. Maybe They Should Grow A Thicker Skin?

Political cartoons have been around even before the invention of the printing press. Britain is famous for its political satire, and Canada does a pretty good job sometimes too.

Obama Camp Outraged At Magazine Cover. 'New Yorker' Image Depicts Obama As Muslim, A Wife As Terrorist

POSTED: 9:20 am EDT July 14, 2008
    UPDATED: 9:56 am EDT July 14, 2008

WASHINGTON -- Barack Obama's campaign has denounced a New Yorker magazine cover showing the Democratic presidential candidate dressed as a Muslim and his wife as a terrorist as "tasteless and offensive."

The magazine's editor called the cover a work of satire.

The illustration on the issue that hits newsstands Monday, titled "The Politics of Fear" and drawn by Barry Blitt, depicts Barack Obama wearing traditional Muslim garb -- sandals, robe and and head dress. His wife, Michelle, is drawn dressed in camouflage, combat boots and an assault rifle strapped over her shoulder.

The couple is doing a fist bump in front of a fireplace in which an American flag is burning. Over the mantle hangs a portrait of Osama bin Laden.

"The New Yorker may think, as one of their staff explained to us, that their cover is a satirical lampoon of the caricature Sen. Obama's right-wing critics have tried to create," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton. "But most readers will see it as tasteless and offensive. And we agree."

The magazine's editor, David Remnick, said in a statement to the Daily News in New York that he was surprised by the reaction.

The cover "combines a number of fantastical images about the Obamas and shows them (the images) for the obvious distortions they are," he said.

"Satire is part of what we do, and it is meant to bring things out into the open, to hold up a mirror to the absurd," Remnick said.

Republican John McCain's campaign spokesman, Tucker Bonds, agreed that the cover was "tasteless and offensive."

Alrea dy, the cover was generating controversy on the Internet.

The Huffington Post, a left-leaning blog, said: "Anyone who's tried to paint Obama as a Muslim, anyone who's tried to portray Michelle as angry or a secret revolutionary out to get Whitey, anyone who has questioned their patriotism -- well, here's your image."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.

The first image is from NBC4 news, the other two are British, from the 18th century or there abouts.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Forum Member

Obama needs to lighten up. It's not our fault his true intentions have been depicted on a magazine cover. But seriously, if he can't take a small political jab on a magazine, he can't run one of the most criticized countries in the world..

What a joke.

Forum Member

Poor fella, somebody hurt his little feelings. Awww. Who gives a ****? This isn't the first time that the Obama campaign has denouced something that shows Obama in anything that may be regarded as a "bad" light. Anytime somebody picks on the Obama's they are haters, racist, right wing, tasteless, or are just plain old bad people out to just hurt other people's feelings. Grow a pair people.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jlcooke3 View Post
    Poor fella, somebody hurt his little feelings. Awww. Who gives a ****? This isn't the first time that the Obama campaign has denouced something that shows Obama in anything that may be regarded as a "bad" light. Anytime somebody picks on the Obama's they are haters, racist, right wing, tasteless, or are just plain old bad people out to just hurt other people's feelings. Grow a pair people.
    It's what is needed to win. Kerry ignored his critics and it can be argued it cost him the election.

Successful campaigns always respond to their critics immediately.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Successful campaigns always respond to their critics immediately.
    Umm.. no not always. Just when the rebuttle is worth the effort. Something about "don't sweat the small stuff" comes to mind. Or maybe "pick your battles".

Immediate response to all criticsm eventually makes you look like a cry baby.

MembersZone Subscriber

I see it for what it is, political satire and freedom of press. Politicians have been the subject of satire since Roman Times. I guess the Obama campaign was hoping he would be satired as JFK.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Umm.. no not always. Just when the rebuttle is worth the effort. Something about "don't sweat the small stuff" comes to mind. Or maybe "pick your battles".

Immediate response to all criticsm eventually makes you look like a cry baby.
    Not in the YouTube and internet era. Love him or hate him, but Clinton had an entire operation devoted to instantaneous rebuttals or counterattacks during his campaign. As did Bush the idiot. Their opponents did not. Who won and who lost?

A candidate ignores even the slightest attack at their own peril.

You may disagree, but you're not the one running for office.

Forum Member

If the "point" of the picture has to be explained...then it was a bad choice.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Here's the answer: Who gives a f*** is well, noone around here , well maybe scfire, but he's "unique."

If he got elected and the Press started doing this to him, I'd bet my money that they're would be a ban of free press. No doubt the Lefty Supreme Court would support him as would Congress (for proof see below). Our downfall to Communism would begin as soon as he (or another democrat somewhere down the line, unless they're like JFK) would be elected President. CORRECTION: He'd use the word "President", but himself and Congress would work as dictators.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 77MackCF; 07-14-2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: damn 'm' and quote marks

Forum Member

Can't wait for the cartoon of Jesse Jackson cutting off Obama's nuts!
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 77MackCF View Post
    Here's the answer: Who gives a f*** is well, noone around here , well maybe scfire, but he's "unique."

If he got elected and the Press started doing this to him, I'd bet my money that they're would be a ban of free press. No doubt the Lefty Supreme Court would support him as would Congress (for proof see below). Our downfall to Communism would begin as soon as he (or another democrat somewhere down the line, unless they're like JFK) would be elected President. CORRECTION: He'd use the word "President", but himself and Congress would work as dictators.

Mike
    Pretty funny Mike. Keep up the good work. You throw so many hypotheticals out there that you mock your own points.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    Can't wait for the cartoon of Jesse Jackson cutting off Obama's nuts!

Honestly, I don't ever want to see Obama's balls.

Forum Member

Politicians.If you rendered the lot of them,you wouldn't skim off a thimble full of scruples.
    Obama may be upset at how close the cartoon hits home but kvetching about it is only making people wonder just how much of it really IS true and how much isn't."He wouldn't be so upset if it weren't true."
    The interesting thing I find is that the New Yorker is usually a liberal rag so why the cartoon that runs down one of their own?

Forum Member

It is typical of the media and the left of this nation. They can say and do whatever they want, but you better not criticise them for their own actions.

Obama and his campaign can't take a little humor - because he cannot fathom satire and someone thinking other than that he is the greatest potential political leader in the world.

Never say anything bad about a Democrat or liberal.....lest you feel the wrath of them. But stand by for their thoughts of you.

I have found that many liberals (I dare say most that I have met) will say freedom of speech is great - but cannot tolerate it when you disagree with them. When you do, very shortly after insults are resorted to. And don't ever introduce facts to many of them...........
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Obama who????
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Forum Member

I see it for what it is, political satire and freedom of press.
    Except it wasn't satire. Satire finds humor in the shortcomings or problems of others. No part of the illustration in question shows any such thing about Obama. Every reference the cartoon makes is patently false. This cartoon was a feebleminded attempt to show the ignorance and stupidity of the those on the right who hold and spread such nonsense and misinformation, such as Fox News' "terrorist fist jab" and the angry black woman who hates her country.
    But seriously, if he can't take a small political jab on a magazine, he can't run one of the most criticized countries in the world..
    Has anyone here even watched Obama's response on Larry King Live? He could care less about this tripe.
    How ironic that the idiots on the right are laughing so much about a cartoon in which its only intent is to show how stupid they are.

Forum Member

Noz, I agree that this cartoon was not specifically about Obama, but about those that have incorrect feelings about him.

But why are teh Dems/Libs so defensive about it?

As for Obama's statements about it not bothering him, of course he can say that - the rest of his PR staff and supporters are saying the opposite.

He is just another politician, no different than anyone else. Despite what he says.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    But why are teh Dems/Libs so defensive about it?
    Because, regardless of what they say, they want to control your speech.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Back In Black

Default Obama and Jesse Jackson

Unbelievable... can we now start ignoring Jesse Jackson, please?

===================
    Jackson Also Used N-Word in Taped Conversation Critical of Obama
    by FOXNews.com
    Thursday, July 17, 2008

Facebook Stumble Upon del.icio.us Digg Email
    A FOX News camera captured the Rev. Jesse Jackson uttering the N-word while he was preparing to tape an interview earlier this month, a word he has denounced publicly as degrading to African Americans.

FOX News’ host Bill O’Reilly revealed the details on Wednesday, saying that he wanted to lay to rest reports based on news leaks.

Appearing on “Studio B With Shepard Smith,” Smith asked O’Reilly if Jackson’s remarks included the N-word, as some news reports had indicated.

“Yeah. And it’s trash talking,” O’Reilly said.

One media news Web site, TVNewser, reported that Jackson’s comment came when he was discussing Obama, saying the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee is “talking down to black people,” and, TVNewser reported, “telling n—–s how to behave.”

FOX News aired a portion of the tape last week where Jackson was criticizing Obama because they were deemed newsworthy. O’Reilly said the N-word was not deemed so, because it “did not advance the story in one way shape or form.”

In the portion that aired, Jackson said he would cut Obama’s “n-ts off,” referring to his dispute with Obama over faith-based initiatives.

“I’m not in the business of hurting Jesse Jackson — because it does hurt Jesse Jackson — and I’m not in the business of creating some kind of controversy that’s not relevant to the general subject: one civil rights leader disparaging another over policy. So we held it back. Some weasel leaked it to the Internet,” O’Reilly said.

O’Reilly told Smith there was nothing more of value to the interview tape.

“That’s all I have. … .You’ve got everything now.”

Jackson has been vocal about the use of the N-word, saying it is hurtful to the black community.

For instance, after a November 2006 rant by “Seinfeld” star Michael Richards during a stand-up routine laden with the N-word, Jackson joined other black leaders to challenge the entertainment industry to stop using the slur. He also called for a boycott of the “Seinfeld” DVD series that was coming out because of Richards’ use of the slur.

“We want to give our ancestors a present,” Jackson said at a news conference at the time. “Dignity over degradation.”

Jackson — who is traveling in Spain — apologized in a statement Wednesday for “hurtful words” but didn’t offer specifics.

“I am deeply saddened and distressed by the pain and sorrow that I have caused as a result of my hurtful words. I apologize again to Senator Barack Obama, Michelle Obama, their children as well as to the American public,” Jackson said in a written statement. “There really is no justification for my comments and I hope that the Obama family and the American public will forgive me. I also pray that we, as a nation, can move on to address the real issues that affect the American people.”

A spokeswoman for Jackson’s civil rights organization, Rainbow/PUSH Coalition, said she could not confirm that Jackson used the slur.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/07...ical-of-obama/
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

MembersZone Subscriber

Satire finds humor in the shortcomings or problems of others

Noz, we all know that like beauty, humour is in the eye of the beholder. Not saying it was right or wrong - only that it "Is".

Forum Member

It's a liberal scandal sheet cutting him down.I'm not sure how this works but they can dish it out but can't take it.
    This issue is kind of like a snake eating itself.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    It is typical of the media and the left of this nation. They can say and do whatever they want, but you better not criticise them for their own actions.

Obama and his campaign can't take a little humor - because he cannot fathom satire and someone thinking other than that he is the greatest potential political leader in the world.

Never say anything bad about a Democrat or liberal.....lest you feel the wrath of them. But stand by for their thoughts of you.

I have found that many liberals (I dare say most that I have met) will say freedom of speech is great - but cannot tolerate it when you disagree with them. When you do, very shortly after insults are resorted to. And don't ever introduce facts to many of them...........

Forum Member

Noz, we all know that like beauty, humour is in the eye of the beholder. Not saying it was right or wrong - only that it "Is".
    Right or wrong is not my issue; my point is that the cartoon is not meant to satire the Obamas, but rather the ignorance and arrogance of the right who apparently are too stupid to figure it out on their own.

Forum Member

I'm not sure how this works but they can dish it out but can't take it.
    Oh, yeah...unlike the wailing that commences from the right when someone dare question how getting shot down and being held prisoner for several years automatically makes one a better president. The right loves to rant and rave about Michelle Obama and all her alleged anger and nation-hating, but let someone bring up Cindy McCain's stealing from a charity to support her drug habit and suddenly that's off limits. The difference? What the right says about the Obamas is a flat out lie. Cindy McCain has indeed stolen from charity to support her drug addiction.
    You guys just kill me. Nobody, and I mean nobody whines and cries more than the right. A quick search of these forums bears that out quick enough.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Nobody, and I mean nobody whines and cries more than the right. A quick search of these forums bears that out quick enough.

Obama was crying because the big bad mean Fox Network(one whole channel) was calling his wife to task on her statements that she made on his behalf.It would be a legitimate gripe if she'd been talking about her favorite cookie recipe and Sean Hannity said he preferred pecans and not walnuts.(That hateful basstid,huh?)
    However,she's been out talking about her husband's intentions after his election and that makes her fair game.If you don't want your wife and kids scruntinized by the media,then don't put them out in public saying"My husband will be the best President this country's ever had because...." or "My Daddy will make the best President this country's ever had because....".If you don't,they retain their "civilian" status as Obama claims but if you do send them out to campaign for you,it is only reasonable that they be looked at as to the veracity of their statements.
    As to Mrs.McCain's drug use,I've never heard of that before.I watch as many different channels to avoid getting one side but missed that one.Maybe it got covered two months ago when I was in a hospital recovering from anesthesia a lot.
    Last edited by doughesson; 07-18-2008 at 03:33 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Truth be told, I didnt hear anything about Ms McCain either. And we all know how much news surfing I do, and that I dont much care about which source supports who or what.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information