Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default "Probably won't blow up again for a long time."

I'll bet thats what the residents of Pompei and Herculean said too.

Alaska Volcano Eruption Surprises Residents. Volcano Erupts With Little Warning

POSTED: 10:16 am EDT July 14, 2008

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- A man who lives at the base of a volcano that erupted Saturday on Alaska's Umnak Island said he plans to go back as soon as it's safe.

Lonnie Kennedy said the eruption was scary, but he's working under the assumption that the volcano "probably won't blow up again for a long time."

He said when it blew, he "could see no daylight in any direction."-----

He and nine other people -- including three children -- on the island were rescued by a fishing vessel after the volcano sent smoke and ash streaming into the air.

Kennedy said that, at first, the eruption sounded like thunder. Then "it sounded like huge rocks rolling." Kennedy said he shuttled some of the people to a nearby island by helicopter, and a fishing boat was able to collect all 10 from both islands.

The 10 are staying at a hotel on Dutch Harbor, about 65 miles away.

The volcano erupted with little warning Saturday morning, just hours after seismologists at the Alaska Volcano Center began detecting a series of small tremors.

The volcano, known as the Okmok Caldera, spewed ash at least 50,000 feet into the air.

The 3,500-foot volcano last erupted in 1997 and has shown signs of increased activity during the last few months.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press.

GLOBAL WARMING! Hurry, tax the volcanoes. They are leaving a very substantial carbon footprint!

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

Long time == 9 years?
    In geologic terms that's instantaneous.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Don't forget voyager.........that the press only reports that the volcano is 3500 feet tall.......And exactly how deep is the sea floor?

I love how they refer to Mt. Everest as the tallest mountain too, since the Hawai'ian island of Hawai'i is a full mile+ taller than Everest when measured from its base.

The buffoons in the media baffle me with their shallowness and inability to think deeply about anything.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Thread Information