Forum Member

Default How to increase chances of getting hired?

I know this is a hard job to get into, so I really want to give at all my best to increase my chances of getting hired and for them to want me over the others.

So on what are you evaluated during the interviews that makes them decide whether they hire you or not?

I assume your firefighting test results are evaluated? If I was in better shape at the time of the physical test, will that give me a better score and in turn increase my chances? Do they judge at all on your apparent physical state, for example would they lean more towards hiring a more muscular guy over a skinny guy? What about tips for interviews even though that's like 2 years away?

I just want to know what points to work on in the mean time to put my chances on my side so they want me over the other guys.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

*insert message by the bob&rob brothers here*

You need a balance of mental and physical strengths. You need to ace the written tests as well as get a low time on a CPAT. Hit the gym and the books.

Though, you still have to pass the psychological portion. :P

Forum Member

How is your mental strenght evaluated? What sort of test is it?

I read the CPAT is a pass/fail test and must be done in 10:20, does this mean that if I managed to do it in say 9:00 instead of 10:00 it would not give me any advantage?

And what sort of test is the psychological portion? I heard is was one of the hardest.

Thanks

Forum Member

a psych test is a pass/fail test. my dad had to do it to get into the police academy so i imagine the 2 tests are similar. one part is a list of something like 75 questions that you answer by filling in answers like "strongly disagree, somewhat disagree, neutral, somewhat agree, strongly agree"

another part is a polygraph(better known as a lie detector test) where they ask you a bunch of questions about who you are and the best you can do is answer it honestly. this test is neither pass or fail, its just something that the phych evaluator considers in determining whether or not your a little squirly in the head.

like i said this is what iv come to understand from the police department. theres not much you can do to prepare for these tests, just answer them to the best of your abilities and BE HONEST

Forum Member

What sort of questions are in the psych test?

Also, are there any tests that if you fail on the first attempt you don't get a second chance and it's over for being a firefighter? Or do you get to do them until you pass?

I of course will do my best to pass them all on the first attempt, but you never know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by poster View Post
    What sort of questions are in the psych test?
    Have you ever posted to Firehouse.com Forums [y/n]:
    Also, are there any tests that if you fail on the first attempt you don't get a second chance and it's over for being a firefighter?
    Yes, a breathalizer
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Since we are on the topic of tests, and I am taking my first test in a week. I am wondering if when asked if I have ever stolen anything, should I just say yes and clarify that it was when I was 8 or 10? I have a feeling I should mainly to be as honest about everything as I can. Your guys and gals opinion?

And for you poster. There are different CPAT's. An example of this would be that Tacoma (WA) has a different test then Seattle (WA).
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbuttery t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

I know this is a hard job to get into, so I really want to give at all my best to increase my chances of getting hired and for them to want me over the others.

I just want to know what points to work on in the mean time to put my chances on my side so they want me over the other guys.

Thanks
    You could go to Paramedic school. Depending on where you're trying to get hired, that can be a big advantage.

Forum Member

apply to a lot of departments. Don't limit yourself to just one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sfd1992 View Post
    You could go to Paramedic school. Depending on where you're trying to get hired, that can be a big advantage.
    How long is the paramedic course? Is this something I could do while being a part time firefighter?

By the way, is it easier to get hired part time? I know it can take years to get hired full time, but could I expect to get hired part time fairly quickly? Speaking of part time, what are the part time schedules like?

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

what are the part time schedules like?Thanks
    part time schedules are kinda like walking around with a pager on. the best advice i can give you for getting hired is, STOP F!#$%a^& TALKING

Forum Member

Mark hispanic on your application.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought that you said that you wouldn't have any problems taking the test(s)?
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Ladder8 View Post
    I thought that you said that you wouldn't have any problems taking the test(s)?
    You are right he did say that.

What he is having problems with is locating the Hiring & Employment section of the boards where 99% of his questions have been answered.

Seems it would have required him to reprogram his computer while bench pressing 800lbs in the "No Red Meat Allowed" bunker, OR it was just too much work to scroll down half a page
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Poster why are you in this site where brave members of the fire service come? You need to stay in school and get an education first.

MembersZone Subscriber

So on what are you evaluated during the interviews that makes them decide whether they hire you or not?

I assume your firefighting test results are evaluated? If I was in better shape at the time of the physical test, will that give me a better score and in turn increase my chances? Do they judge at all on your apparent physical state, for example would they lean more towards hiring a more muscular guy over a skinny guy? What about tips for interviews even though that's like 2 years away?

Thanks
    Do the following to increase your chances. These are fail proof:

-Cite all of your experience with posting questions on FH.com forums
    -Tell them about your breaktrough diet and that you are certain you can help convert their department to a healthy and super-strong bunch of guys, much like yourself
    -Tell them about your near-death weight lifting experience, that will hold them on the edge of their seat and they will be SOOOO amazed you didn't get scared. I mean, you did almost fall
    -Tell them you would wright a newsletter for their department so all the guys could experience your deep knowledge, especially since you are a computer genius
    -Make sure they know you have decided to bless them with your presence by joining OUR Brotherhood. They should be so happy to finally get you.

I'll stop there for now. Just rehearse them and practice real hard.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

NEW SUBWAY JOB GOES STALE >> ANGER MANAGEMENT: OCCASIONAL RANTS AND RAVES BY ADDISON HERRON-WHEELER
    July 17, 2008 12:15 am

IT NEVER FAILS: Murphy's Law. When applying for jobs, the one place you do not want to call you back inevitably will. I encountered this annoying fact applying for jobs in Richmond, when I landed one at the local Subway.

Of all the interesting, vibrant-looking places in my area that I could have worked, this was definitely my last choice. But the only other places I had wanted to work told me it would be a few weeks or months, and I had to have something ASAP so that I could pay the rent.

At first glance, the job didn't seem as horrible as it could have been. I have plenty of experience making sandwiches and working in food service, so it wasn't hard at all. The man who hired me seemed nice enough, and I liked a few of my co-workers. I even got all subs at an employee discount, which made the delicious veggie sub I love cost mere chump change. I failed to take into account, however, my inability to function in this kind of a situation for very long and my disdain for the restrictions that come with employment at any fast-food restaurant.

First of all, some of my co-workers whom I met later are not exactly savory. They are much older than me and don't seem to respect me at all, even though I am doing my best to comply with their every wish and to be the best employee I can be. The management also demands that I remove my lip rings while working--which is ridiculous considering how many people with piercings I serve every day. This makes things a bit difficult due to the fact that I don't have the extra money right now to go out and buy spacers to put in the holes while I'm at work.

The one fellow employee that I really liked has crumpled under the awful pressure and quit, and I am being paid minimum wage--a fact I did not learn until the first paycheck came out.

But what makes the situation really unbearable is not the employees at Subway or even the stupid rules and pay, but the fact that I am barely getting any hours at this terrible job. At places like this, a worker is just a commodity, serving the functions of the business--not a person with needs that should be met. Six hours a week is not exactly going to cut it for someone who asked for more than 40 hours and has rent and bills to pay. I worked more hours than that a week as an intern at The Free Lance-Star, a job that was supposed to be educational and never a means to earn a living.

To top it all off, the fast-food industry is wasteful and goes against even the most basic environmentalist practices. Mishandled food or food that can't be served is thrown away, not saved to be taken home by the workers. Each sub is wrapped in paper and then placed into a small plastic bag--basically the equivalent of a grocery store giving customers one bag for each grocery. Even the apples we sell come sliced and packaged in plastic, although they would be perfectly sellable without any of that. In short, it is all about the profit and not about the overall good of society.

So what can I do about all of this? Well, apart from complaining in my column and trying to get another job as soon as possible, not much. I just have to keep going to work and hoping for the best. And maybe, some day, I will start my own restaurant, just to combat all the evil that I see in the fast-food industry. But until then, I will have to try to content myself with the fact that at least I am getting paid.

Addison Herron-Wheeler is a rising freshman at Virginia Commonwealth University.
    http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...inter_friendly

You wouldn't happen to be named "Addison", would you?
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Thread Information