Forum Member

Default Paramedic Classes-Northern Virginia

Anyone have any good ideas on where I can enroll in EMT-P classes? I'd prefer to make it an accelerated program to keep costs down. I looked at NOVA but it's a 2+ years program and costs roughly $11,000. Seeing as how I already have 10k in debt from undergrad I'm looking for something that could take about 1 1/2 years and cost maybe about 7-8k. Any ideas?? I'm hoping my volunteer company will pick up the costs but that's unlikely since our station doesn't have an ALS unit.

Rabble rouser

Well, to my knowledge, one must go through an accredited school of higher education (college or university) to get a P cert.

With that said, there is a good 'I' program at Washington Hospital Center in DC. Call Jeff Scheulen at 202-877-5421. I haven't talked to Jeff in a while, so if that number doesn't work, just call Washington Hospital Center and ask for Jeff Scheulen or EMS education.

I went through his P program in the early 90's and had no issues with the Registry and felt very prepared for the field.

Good luck!
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

How much better will my chances be of getting a paid job with an NREMT-I? Is this something that will significantly increase my chances or do most places only look for the EMT-P? I'm 100% going to do this just to further my education and knowledge but also want to know how this will further help my chances.

Forum Member

Most places in OH will look for the P card. You can always bridge from I to P. I know you've been looking for jobs in OH. Have you considered moving to OH for a Paramedic Program? My program in Canton, OH was 8 months long and ran $2100.00. That was in '02 so I'm not sure what it's like now.

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    How much better will my chances be of getting a paid job with an NREMT-I? Is this something that will significantly increase my chances or do most places only look for the EMT-P? I'm 100% going to do this just to further my education and knowledge but also want to know how this will further help my chances.
    Well, speaking for Fairfax County only...

Our department treats I's and P's exactly the same. With that, there is preferential hiring.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

yeah I've thought about it FireMedic, but with the number of places that hire around here it seems silly to move back to Ohio and then have the possibility of moving right back here. I'd love to score a job in Ohio and I'm testing places, it's just that there's so few spots available besides akron and columbus and i didn't get the chance to test there. Kobersteen thanks for the help...I know I can always count on you for some good advice! Hopefully this will get me the job I want and am striving for and if something comes along before i finish my EMT-I class then that's even better!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    Anyone have any good ideas on where I can enroll in EMT-P classes? I'd prefer to make it an accelerated program to keep costs down. I looked at NOVA but it's a 2+ years program and costs roughly $11,000. Seeing as how I already have 10k in debt from undergrad I'm looking for something that could take about 1 1/2 years and cost maybe about 7-8k. Any ideas?? I'm hoping my volunteer company will pick up the costs but that's unlikely since our station doesn't have an ALS unit.
    does the NoVA program let you test for I99 part way through the program, or is it purely B-P?

Forum Member

not a clue...i hadn't looked that much into it. you'd have to talk to the university

Thread Information