Thread: paging problems

Forum Member

Yes you can fall back to TAP. By next Tuesday, the message will be delivered. My experience is that all of the carrier's e-mail systems suck. They make it pretty useless. I can go on with a lot of my experiences with this but it is way more than needs to be in this thread.

I think we can all agree that is is not an acceptable means of primary notification regardless of what improvements and redundancies you have with it. The carriers never built or intended it to be used for that and therefore we shouldn't be trying to use it for that.

As a secondary means of notification, it is great. I love having the incident location and cross-streets at my finger tips. As an officer/FF/EMT, while en-route and i forget where I'm going again, I have it right there. As a dispatcher, I can send information that would be difficult to speak and copy on the radio. Example, GPS data for a S&R or where a hidden key is located.

Bottom line (again), it is an excellent TOOL when it works.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I Agree ....

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    Bottom line (again), it is an excellent TOOL when it works.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just was thinking about the Obama campaign fiasco with SMS and emails messaging. But yes, when it works it is great. Even our little department is using it.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

**UPDATE**

got the go ahead last night, we are putting in a voice pager system. we have the tower already lined up. dispatch said said they would install everything they need on their end. we have to purchase/install/maintain everything that is outside of the dispatch center.

could anyone direct me to the best places for voice paging systems? also some info, including how high needs to be on tower, range, etc.

thanks in advance

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by asstchief700 View Post

could anyone direct me to the best places for voice paging systems? also some info, including how high needs to be on tower, range, etc.
    Where are you located? I just ordered our radio-pagers today (to replace the alphas), but I'm in Oklahoma.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Forum Member

I don't know why anybody would use a system they don't have complete control over and backup. Remember when

Forum Member

I don't know why anybody would use a system they don't have complete control over and backup. Remember when the power goes out or major emergency, public systems crash, (ie: New Orlens) stay with your own system. I have found working with Motorola pager programing and quality to be great. I still like Kenwood radios better than Motorola.
    Just my thoughts, have a peacefull nights sleep.

MembersZone Subscriber

**UPDATE**

got the go ahead last night, we are putting in a voice pager system. we have the tower already lined up. dispatch said said they would install everything they need on their end. we have to purchase/install/maintain everything that is outside of the dispatch center.

thanks in advance
    I just sent you a PM. How high up depends on what coverage you need, obstacles, power, etc. I can tell you, that for the most part, the higher the better, but the higher you go, the cost increases. More hardline for the antenna, if you go too high you need to go to a larger hardline, etc.

You really need to get with someone that can help you. If you don't getmy PM let me know

Forum Member

- What frequency or at least what band?
    - What kind of access do you have with this tower? Usually the owner tells you where you can go and how high.
    - Can you tell us where you are and where this tower is so i can look at the terrain on a topo map?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

another update..

turns out that the county is putting in a voice paging system county wide. all we have to purchase are our pagers. the county chose to go with apollo brand pagers (the apollo vp200). so now all i really need is opinions on the apollos and best place to purchase them from.

i appreciate all the help, and sorry it was for nothing, but the county has decided that everyone throughout the county should be voice, so they are taking the burden of putting everything in, like i said except for the pagers.

Post Apollo

another update..

turns out that the county is putting in a voice paging system county wide. all we have to purchase are our pagers. the county chose to go with apollo brand pagers (the apollo vp200). so now all i really need is opinions on the apollos and best place to purchase them from.

i appreciate all the help, and sorry it was for nothing, but the county has decided that everyone throughout the county should be voice, so they are taking the burden of putting everything in, like i said except for the pagers.

I would stay far away from Apollo. They have a lot of problems. There is also a rumor going around that Motorola is suing them for copyright infringements.I would be scared there will not be any support in the future. We have had a lot of luck with Swissphone. We were tired of sending in are Motorola Minitors for repairs.

talktwoway.net

Do me a favor and contact Zetron at 1-425-820-6363. They will direct you to a dealer in your area. You could use either a Model 640 or 2000 series paging terminal.

If you need any help with this, You can PM me. I've put in about 40 of the Model 640's very familiar with them and the 2000 series.

Thread Information