Thread: Foams

Forum Member

Default Foams

What foams are your departments carrying on their pumpers? We currently have class A in an on-board tank and have 5 gal pails of afff available for induction. We are now thinking of replacing our afff with ar-afff foam because of our rising exposure to ethanol/alcohol fires. I know hear that there is a new product available called f500, the video on their web site looks like the cats meow but it's about double the cost. They say this foam does A-B-C-D and alcohol. Does anyone have any experiences with this new foam?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Foam?

My old department was so poor that we mainly carried Dawn to put in the water tanks.

Forum Member

As strange as that may seem it does work on class A fires but thats about it. It also makes a mess when putting it directly into the tank versus inducting it or having the system right on the pumper. We do what we need to do.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by XRaysJL View Post
    My old department was so poor that we mainly carried Dawn to put in the water tanks.

Here! Here!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by XRaysJL View Post
    We keep 3 12oz bottles on the truck and use them 12 oz./1000 gallons. They work great to break down surface tension for Class A fires, but as mentioned above, pretty useless for anything else. Each truck carries around 20-25 gallons of 3% AFFF as well.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Foam = Dawn

Yeah, we are very familiar with Dawn and it's capabilities/limitations. Because of it's abilities and low cost.............I love it for class A fires. I've used it in the past and will continue using it in the future.

Forum Member

I just completed an Ethanol and Foam Fire Firefighting Application class through the Illinois Fire Service Institute.

The host department carried f-500 in both their A and B foam tanks on their new quint. It didnt do ANYTHING against Ethanol (E85 and E95) and it didnt fare very well against regular gasoline with 10% ethanol. I too was looking at F500 for a best of both worlds multipurpose foam, but it is NOT effective against ethanol. They demonstrated it using live fire and several different foams. The only thing that passes the UL 162 is AR-AFFF. We are looking at the newer 1%/3% foams over the 3%/6% because it would extend the capabilities of our on board foam tanks that much more.

We have foampro 2002 automatic direct injection systems on our first out pumpers with 30gal A and 30gal B tanks. We have (2) 1.75in. and (1) 2.5in. foam capable discharges. Our shift uses class A for every structure fire and most car fires.

To prepare for the ethanol threat I recommended that we purchase National Foam Universal Low Viscosity 1/3 and a self educting foam nozzle to attach to our crossfire deck gun so we can educt right out of the on board foam tank if we need higher flows than the foampro is capable of.

Forum Member

Post Foam for ethanol fire

The Indy Racing League uses COLD FIRE mixed with water to fight its E95 fires. If you were watching this years race from Indianapolis, you saw it in action when there was a fuel fire in the pits.
    The Delphi Safety Team tells us that they mix 1 quart of COLD FIRE to 9 quarts of water in a 2.5 gallon water extinguisher and it will not only put out a Class B fire, but aluminium, titanium and magensium fires.
    You can change the mixture to 1% for Class A fires, 3% for most Class B fires and 6% for your aromatic hydrocarbons (xylene, benzene, toululene) fires.
    I've seen it in action and it hasn't failed us.
    "Your spill is our thrill."

MembersZone Subscriber

We carry pails of AR-AFFF and a couple of bottles of dish soap on the rigs.

We do the AR-AFFF (3%/6%) because I personnally feel it's more versatile. While you can't use it for class A fires, I don't know of much of anything you can't use it on class B fires. I'd like to try the 1%/3%, but I can't justify spending almost twice as much for the very few ethanol/polar solvent fires we might run.

The dish soap we just mix in an empty 5 gallon bucket we carry on the rig and educt it like we would foam. If we need some more foam, we just put in some more soap and water.

Piney Power
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

I know our tender/pumper has an on-board foam tank, but I'm unsure of exactly what we have in it. I do know, though, that we also carry 5-gallon buckets of AFFF.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by loosegoose View Post
    I know hear that there is a new product available called f500, the video on their web site looks like the cats meow but it's about double the cost. They say this foam does A-B-C-D and alcohol. Does anyone have any experiences with this new foam?
    I sell F-500 and also Angus foam. I sell a TON of Angus all the time. The F-500 though, I'm still not sure of it. I have MAYBE 1 or 2 fd's that use it and like it, but most others don't really care for it. F-500 is supposed to do all sorts of great things, but my jury's still out on this one!!

Forum Member

our department uses 5 gal. of FireAde 2000 in every tank. Great stuff...only problem is its $120 per 5 gal.

Forum Member

Wink

wev use f-500 and hazard control thunder foam 1/3% ar-afff foam and like it all

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a TON of F-500 in our station. The literature says it works on A and B fires. A fires are straight forward. As for B fires, it says this stuff encapsulates the hydrocarbon molecules, so if it washes down the drain no big deal. I don't know about that. We don't really use it for anything, it just sits there. We have close to 30 pails of it. A local tire recycler bought it years ago for us. Aparently it works AWESOME on tire fires. Haven't tried it on those yet. We carry class A and AR-AFFF foam on our trucks.

Mike

Forum Member

My plant, large coal fired power plant has 400 - 500 Gallons of F-500. It enables water to penetrate coal fires deeper. We have also used it on deisel fuel spills. It has worked great.
    It is alot like Dawn "it cuts grease out of your way"

I do not lnow how it will work on new gas / ethanol blends.

My vol dept used about 2000 gals of F-500 on a tire recycleing plant fire in 2007. It worked very well then.

Hope this info helps. The staff of Hazard Control Technologies the manufactor of F-500 is very helpful. Call them and talk with them. They have a web site as well.

Forum Member

Our pumper has onboard tanks for both Class A and Class B. The B is Angus Tridol ATF - we've just moved to that from AFFF. I've used Class A on wildfires and never used Class B.
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Thread Information