Forum Member

Default Ability to transfer

I was just wondering how hard it is to transfer once you are hired as a 0081? Are you required to work a certain number of years. I heard the requirement is 3 years, but after that going to a different base is not that difficult, if there are openings.

Thanks,

Kev

Forum Member

It takes (traditionally) 3 years to become a full permanent career FF. Most places who are advertising for higher pay grades (6 or better) wont touch you. Once you become full career, you can pretty much go wherever, as long as you meet the quals, and no one with better credentials gets the spot.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    It takes (traditionally) 3 years to become a full permanent career FF. Most places who are advertising for higher pay grades (6 or better) wont touch you. Once you become full career, you can pretty much go wherever, as long as you meet the quals, and no one with better credentials gets the spot.
    Most places who are advertising for higher pay grades wont touch you. What does that mean?

Thanks,

Kev

Forum Member

Until/unless you have all your certs (typically takes a few years), then you don't qualify as a GS6 or GS7, therefore a base advertising for that won't touch you. After all your basics, i.e. EMT, CLass B DL, EVOC, HazMat AW, HazMat Ops, FFI, FFII...then you need whatever driver/operator certs your base requires. THEN if your base provides BLS or organized HazMat response, you go to a GS7.

You can be at one base and be the highest FF GS6, another base might have 7's. At 10,000K a year, thats a big difference...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by devildog4 View Post
    You can be at one base and be the highest FF GS6, another base might have 7's. At 10,000K a year, thats a big difference...

Example: APGFD backstep firefighters, fully qualified with minimum one year expierence go to GS-7. Why? EMS, Explosives, Haz-Mat (including chemical weapons) bulk fuel storage, and ARFF. Also, everyone rotates driving.

I started there as a high 5. Went to 6 after one year. Bumped to 7 with the new pay bill back in 2003 (I think?)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by devildog4 View Post
    Until/unless you have all your certs (typically takes a few years), then you don't qualify as a GS6 or GS7, therefore a base advertising for that won't touch you. After all your basics, i.e. EMT, CLass B DL, EVOC, HazMat AW, HazMat Ops, FFI, FFII...then you need whatever driver/operator certs your base requires. THEN if your base provides BLS or organized HazMat response, you go to a GS7.

Thanks. There is a gs 7 position in my area and the Fire Chief there called and said he wants to hire me. We go back several years and he is a great guy to work for. I have all the certs required and will most likely apply for it.

Eventually I want to end up in the San Diego area because my wife works with marine systems type stuff.

Thanks again,

Kev

Forum Member

Example: APGFD backstep firefighters, fully qualified with minimum one year expierence go to GS-7. Why? EMS, Explosives, Haz-Mat (including chemical weapons) bulk fuel storage, and ARFF. Also, everyone rotates driving.

I started there as a high 5. Went to 6 after one year. Bumped to 7 with the new pay bill back in 2003 (I think?)
    I applied for APG for the gs 5/6. So we shall see what happens.

Kev

Forum Member

If you get hired, give me a holler, and I will help you out with housing, etc. You have to be **very** careful about where you live around APG. Pick the right area, and it can be a good thing, one hour to Baltimore, one hour to Philly, 2.5 hours to New York City.....Not a bad place to live.

Forum Member

If you get hired, give me a holler, and I will help you out with housing, etc. You have to be **very** careful about where you live around APG. Pick the right area, and it can be a good thing, one hour to Baltimore, one hour to Philly, 2.5 hours to New York City.....Not a bad place to live.

We would most likely move to Laurel or Columbia, MD, as my wife has a job waiting at Johns Hopkins APL.

If I am hired with APG, sounds like the commute would be about 1.5 hours. That is what I do now, so it would be easy.

Thread Information