Forum Member

Default Sewing Patches on Turnout Gear

All over this Forum I have seen threads discussing the Pros and Cons of sewing patches on your turnout gear. I understand every department has their own policies and many people have different views on this subject. I am looking for more than just someone saying yes you can or no you canít.

Recently in my Department, many of the Houses are getting their Logo made into patches. Those Patches are getting sewn on to turnout gear. Since this fad started, there is the usual Firehouse Bitching about it. There are concerns about the patch compromising the outer shell, the glue underneath the patch melting and causing injury, and finally the manufactures warranty may be voided. I am going to stay neutral about this. What I am looking for is any links or websites, articles or any real information that will assist with the real issue, can or cant you do it. Thank you in advance.

Forum Member

My department has our patch sewn on the sleeve of our turnout coat. It's not a real patch, but an image of our uniform patch printed on a square piece of the outer fabric. We use Morning Pride. Contact the manufacturer or your supplier.
    ...at this time.

Forum Member

I don't have a dog in this fight but you might want to consider this - the manufacturers do it. On both my personal Fire-Dex set and the dept issued Janesville, there are sewn on makers patches. They don't seem to think it's that big of a deal and I don't see that they took any extra precautions when they added them (no sealant, not part of any seam, etc).

Just a thought,
    Mike
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -- Edmund Burke

Keeping it together with prayer and the "Handyman's secret weapon" - duct tape!

Forum Member

We also use Morning Pride. The issue deals with Station Patches, not department patches. I do not think my department is going to foot the bill to have morning pride put different station logos on turnout coats. I am looking for sound research.The Research I am looking hopefully will provided the appropriate direction I am looking for. I have not been able to find any articles or reaserch on this issue. I have found 1 million forum post saying you cant do it. But nothing backs it up. If anyone has any links they can provide please send them my way.

the 4-1-4

The only real issue you might have is that you could end up having to replace the patch if your gear is cleaned by a specialty company. It's happened here to a few guys, but the company was nice enough to wash the patch and place it in a coat pocket.
    Not that it is really much of an issue, but a professional turnout cleaning company is supposed to not leave anything on the gear that isn't NFPA compliant, including repairs. Patches, embroidery, and thread must meet the language in 1971 in order to be compliant, i.e. Nomex, or kevlar. A company that cleans and repairs gear has to make sure that the gear is compliant as it leaves their facility, or they could be open to some liability, in the event of an injury, etc...

Is it a big deal? How much does your patch cost to replace?
    The issue is that the patch could retain moisture, which could be hotter than other areas touching the vapor barrier, and if you used nylon thread, the thread could melt.
    Remember too, your gear isn't supposed to be over exposed to UV rays either, they damage and reduce the effectiveness of your shell. Yet we still wear our gear into fires.
    It isn't a perfect world, so just use some common sense. We can't walk on egg shells.
    Last edited by jasper45; 07-27-2008 at 04:41 PM.

Thread Information