Forum Member

Default Books and Sources

Hello,

I believe I will be starting my academy in the next 3-4 months, and I am wanting to get a good grasp on the basics of fire suppression and science. I have seen lots of books and resources but I am curious as to which books are the most recommended?

I am also interested in some basic EMS books as EMT is a required cert. in my local department.

Thanks in advance!

Forum Member

First off you should start with what ever book you will be using in the academy. This may be IFSTA essentials or the delmar book. These will be the only books I would recommend until you are done the academy. The reason behind this is so that you do not get concepts confused and possibly make improper choices during your tests. I would also reccomend the same for your EMS course. After you are done with your basic classes there are a ton of books out there. I have so many that I have liked that I could not possibly list them all, but starters would be Building Collapse by Vincent Dunn (I don't know any firefighters that have not found this book helpful), Fireground Stratigies by Anthony Avillo, I can not remember the name of the book that Mike Terpak put out on size-up that was pretty good (google search it) The Fire Officers Handbook, if you look at the penwell Publications website you will find a ton of good books. Just try not to get too far ahead of yourself.

Sorry, had to change the website that I had put, got confused again, too much vaction is making my brain spongy.
    Last edited by MEck51; 07-17-2008 at 09:23 AM.

Forum Member

Thanks for the pointers!

Thread Information