Good thing's happening

Default Why do they have interviews ?

I have been thinking about this for a little while. Why do some departments have Interviews during the hiring process and others do not ? What is the purpose of having an interview? Does a nervous interviewer show you something ?

Forum Member

Default Interviews

We're from a small town and everyone knows everyone. There is no sense for us to hold an interview...we already have met and talked to those who apply.
    Now from the Department I retired from there were many who took the test ..upwards of 6,000 and we needed to interview to see who the face was to the scores they had. There is nothing wrong with that process as we (the interviewers) know they are nervous and take that into account when scoring.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

To not have interviews where information is clarified and the person's affect and demeanor can be evaluated by the evaluators, would probably be looked on as a failure to complete "due diligence".

I wouldn't even dream of putting a guy on w/o a full vetting through an interview-regardless of whether they knew the kid or not.

True story. PD interviews. Kid of a Sgt. from a neighboring agency is interviewing. His father is friends with most of the interview board. They both play softball with most of the interview board. The job is this kid's to have. All he has to do is pass the interview.

Somebody asks the kid "Do you drink"? Kid says "No". Since most of the interview board spent a considerable amount of time the previous evening having beers with this kid, they thought he was joking. They ask him again, qualifying it with the "social drinker" caviat. Kid continues to say no and won't come off it. Kid does not get the job.

That is why you should interview EVERYBODY.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

Good thing's happening

George ,

I both agree and disagree at the same time. While I do agree you should know who your dealing with I also feel at the same time what does the interview show ? does it show you can do the job properly ? That your whole career opportunity with this department rides on this one interview ?

also without any bull***** from people who want to sell their sites or books or help on THIS forum what's the best way to prepare ? the books or dvd's out there ? make up questions and have a person ask you them in a mock interview ? Should you wing it ?

Forum Member

Default Test Drive the Candidates!

I'm with Geroge and Jay on this.

In our profession we never know whatís going to happen in the next moment. We could be part of someoneís worst day.

What is needed to qualify a candidate for a firefighter position? Yes, a written test is necessary to set a standard for an evaluation for the position. But there is much more needed to make sure the candidate is qualified represent the agency to the citizens to protect life and property.

Ask yourself would you buy a car with taking a test drive it? Of course not. Then, why would you hire an individual only on the basis of their written score and agility, etc? Wouldnít you want to evaluate how qualified an individual is and how theyíre going to fit into your culture before you invest big dollars putting them in an academy, then on the floor of a company representing the department and on an emergency that is protecting your loved ones and the citizens?

Wouldnít you want the most qualified candidate available so when the emergency takes place, the bells go off in the firehouse, the doors open and there is nothing they can throw at them they canít handle?

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    I have no interest in being lumped in with you. I am not with you, like you or aligned with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by eaglesrule1024 View Post
    George ,

I both agree and disagree at the same time. While I do agree you should know who your dealing with I also feel at the same time what does the interview show ? does it show you can do the job properly ? That your whole career opportunity with this department rides on this one interview ?

also without any bull***** from people who want to sell their sites or books or help on THIS forum what's the best way to prepare ? the books or dvd's out there ? make up questions and have a person ask you them in a mock interview ? Should you wing it ?
    It will not show that you can do the job properly. Remember, that the interview is only one part of the process. You cannot look at the interview as seperate and apart from the whole hiring process.

What the interview will show (if it is conducted by trained and experienced interviewers) is this: Is this candidate going to be a good fit into this FD after we spend alot of time and money training him and orienting him?

So, with that in mind, treat the interview as a research project or an in-depth investigation. First, research and investigate yourself. Know your strengths and weaknesses and be prepared to talk about all of them. You are not going to impress the interview board with stuff like certifications ans war stories. You are going to impress them with your professional appearance, firm handshake, eye contact, humility, intelligence and sincerity.

The second thing to research is the FD. Research the crap out of it. Learn its history, its culture, its philosophy. Learn the little things like the unique events that all FD's have, learn the names of their members who have been killed in the line of duty, learn their mission statement, learn every little thing you can. You may not use any of it. But you will have an insight into the corporate culture of the FD that the others probably will not have spent the time to acquire.

I cannot stress enough to answer the interviewers' questions honestly and completely. Look them in the eye. Don't try to give them the answer you think they are looking for. Give them the honest and sincere answer.

cap'n bobby and his son will tell you to conceal information, learn how to beat the polygraph and do anything to get the job. They will use their stupid slogans and their made up stories of their "satisfied customers" to try to get you to buy their crap (and it is crap). But remember one thing; lying is a surefire way to lose any chance at all for the job you have been dreaming about. ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH. ALWAYS.

I hope you get the job and enjoy a long career.

Forum Member

Wouldnít you want the most qualified candidate available so when the emergency takes place, the bells go off in the firehouse, the doors open and there is nothing they can throw at them they canít handle?

"Captain Bob" www.eatstress.com
    If this was the case for most departments, "hiring the most qualified candidate" then more localities would give bonus points/preference for having fire and ems certifications or volunteering instead of simply, for instance, getting bonus points for living in the city/town you are applying for.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    If this was the case for most departments, "hiring the most qualified candidate" then more localities would give bonus points/preference for having fire and ems certifications or volunteering instead of simply, for instance, getting bonus points for living in the city/town you are applying for.

This is the answer to some departments that can not give extra points for the things that count. The City can not give you points for being a Volunteer for 10 years but if this comes out in the interview you can get points there. Some (and I say SOME) Chiefs really do like to pick the BEST person they can.

The interview is a good place to sell yourself.

If a department is told to hire two people and they are given the top 10 scorers from the test to pick the needed two people they will then interwiew and pick who they want. Not all Cities work this way but the City that I work for does.

In this case you must then sell yourself at the interview.

You must figure out what it is that you want the interviewers to know about you and then...make sure that they know it by the time you leave the interview.
    Last edited by FIRECAPT62; 07-17-2008 at 03:39 PM.

Forum Member

Default Best People

George it doesn't hurt to have Captain Bob agree with you. As for the best for the job.....I've had to interview the "Kids" of some of our firefighters when I did Orals for my Department. They had all "The Stamps" (experience) for the job...however they either froze at the questions or completly blew them. So just because you know the interviewers or people on the job you STILL need to get through the process.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is another quick tip. Sometimes, an initial "telephone interview" will be setup to weed out some of the applicants prior to the face-to-face.

TREAT THE TELEPHONE INTERVIEW IN EXACTLY THE SAME MANNER AS WOULD THE FACE-TO-FACE INTERVIEW! You could close the door on your job hunt before you even got to meet the interviewers if you treat it in a cavalier manner.

MembersZone Subscriber

STATUS REPORT

I'm still not selling any books, CD's, DVD's, magazines, tapes or anything else.

Forum Member

Default Me to??

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I have no interest in being lumped in with you. I am not with you, like you or aligned with you.
    George...I hope you do not mean me????

Jay
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Default Phoner

Because of time and distance, phone interviews are becoming more common. It could be to whittle down the numbers for a final in person interview. Here's come tips:

Deactivate your call waiting beep. Remove pets and any other distractions.

Donít use a cel or speaker phone. If you can, use a hands free head-set. Take the call standing up in front of a mirror to project your smiling, confident image over the phone line to convince the chief or other interviews that youíre the right fit for the badge.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    George...I hope you do not mean me????

Jay
    There is nothing in that post that could be construed to have the slightest thing to do with you.

You keep trying to pick a fight with me, and I already told you that I am not going to do that out of respect for our mutual acquaintance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Because of time and distance, phone interviews are becoming more common. It could be to whittle down the numbers for a final in person interview. Here's come tips:

Deactivate your call waiting beep. Remove pets and any other distractions.

Donít use a cel or speaker phone. If you can, use a hands free head-set. Take the call standing up in front of a mirror to project your smiling, confident image over the phone line to convince the chief or other interviews that youíre the right fit for the badge.
    Way to jump on the bandwagon there, bobby.

Forum Member

Default ???

George...I'm not picking fights...I respect what you bring to the table. There was a difference of opinion and I thought we've worked that out. I agree WITH YOU!! and have come to the conclusion that certain individuals teach one way.....and then there's the rest of us. I hope that in no way you think that I was trying to pick a fight...far from it.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    .....I've had to interview the "Kids" of some of our firefighters when I did Orals for my Department. They had all "The Stamps" (experience) for the job...however they either froze at the questions or completly blew them. So just because you know the interviewers or people on the job you STILL need to get through the process.
    Game Day---Are you Ready

As Jay points out, it wouldn't take you long sitting on an oral board panel or working with candidates to discover even with all their qualifications how many candidates are not prepared to take a firefighter interview.

There are only so many questions they can ask you. But those questions can be disguised in 100ís of different ways. Once youíre prepared you can learn how to take off the disguises and probably have an answer for what the question is really about.

I talked to a candidate recently who only started preparing for interviews just before a big city test. He said he was stumped by 3 questions. He had the answers but was confused by the disguise. Once he dissected the question down to itís simplest term or word, he had an answer.

Some candidates Iíve talked to have not really prepared in advance for their interviews. Few have practiced and heard their answers with a hand held recorder that should go everywhere their car keys go.

I believe in taking every test you can get to. If you prepared in advance as those above have mentioned then the more tests you take, the better you can get at taking tests. Then when the department comes along that you really want to nail you wonít be stumped by a question you havenít heard before.

Youíre looking for a seamless no surprises interview to satisfy the oral board, get the top possible score on a question, and cause the panel to go onto the next questions. You accomplish this by being prepared and personalizing you answers.

ďLuck is where preparation meets opportunityĒ

How much time have you wasted by not being ready on game day and you didnít know it? How much money could you have saved in your pursuit of being a firefighter if you hadnít wasted opportunities by not scoring high enough and didnít know it?

As BC Steve Prziborowski, so eloquently wrote:

ďDo what you have to do be more marketable so you can take more tests and have something more to offer a department, but remember that it all comes down to that 15 to 30 minute oral interview. Iíve seen some awesome candidates with resumes packed full of accomplishments that couldnít sell them self in an interview to even make the top 50%.Ē

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Talking

I think this is why they have interviews...to attempt to filter guys like this out of the service. This is pretty sad all around!

http://www.ems1.com/fire-ems/article...ding-EMS-calls

Thread Information