Forum Member

What kind of salaries are they paying for the different positions?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default down under

Nickles and dimes the pay is not like iraq
    Bestdes you can not clame tax free status so it is really not a huge pay package.

Forum Member

Default Hiring for Antarctic FD begins 1 March 2010

I just finished my first season on the "ICE". It is certainly not for everyone!! McMurdo is a rugged town, limited activity and if our fire prevention and public education maintain their health, a very low fire rate. Not a lot of exciting fire calls for the more junior firefighters. Airfield ARFF services are a major component of the department services. We have upgraded the PD's to better match industry standards. Previously we only had PD's which were essentially apprentice F/F/ level. Now add are journeymen level PD's. The kick-off for hiring happens on 1 March, 2010 when Rayjobs web-site will open and allow a job search. For more details visit the DoDFire website and open the jobs button on the left. The information sheet is not posted there yet but should be up sometime next week.

Vr,

Mark S. Lawler, Fire Chief, AFD

Fire Captain-I TSC116357 Firefighter-II TSC116673
    Fire Captain-II TSC116676 Dispatcher TSC116206
    Fire Lieutenant I TSC116252 Dispatch Supervisor TSC116250
    Fire Lieutenant II TSC116675Fire Equipment Repair Technician TSC116286
    Firefighter I TSC116248

Forum Member

Default Antarctic job open now!!

Antarctic Fire Department,
    Raytheon Polar Services
    Recruitment for:
    Firefighters - Req # 3200BR
    Lieutenants - Req # 3202BR Go to: http//www.rayjobs.com/ to apply
    Captains - Req # 3109BR

- Personnel needed now for the upcoming season.
    -- Departure from USA on or about 8 October 2010
    -- Return from McMurdo on or about 20 February 2011

Minimum requirements: Experience + Certifications (IFSAC, Pro Board or State Certified)

Firefighter: 3 years pervious full time firefighting experience, two years volunteer or paid-on call experience equals one year full time experience.

- Firefighter-II
    - HazMat Operations
    - Airport Firefighter
    - EMT-B
    - NIMS ICS 100 & 200

Lieutenant: 4 years pervious full time firefighting experience, two years volunteer or paid-on call experience equals one year full time experience. At least one year of experience as a supervisor is required.

- Fire Officer-I
    - HazMat Operations
    - Airport Firefighter
    - EMT-B
    - NIMS ICS 100 & 200

Captain: 4 years of diversified full time firefighting experience, including incident command and fire administration, two years volunteer or paid-on call experience equals one year full time experience. At least one year of experience as a supervisor is required.

- Fire Officer-II
    - HazMat IC
    - Airport Firefighter
    - EMT-B
    - NIMS ICS 100 & 200

Contact: Audra Ader for specific details at 720-568- 2163, or 800-688-8606, extension 32163

Forum Member

Pay info please

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    Pay info please
    Like cochief said... "Contact: Audra Ader for specific details at 720-568- 2163, or 800-688-8606, extension 32163"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nwfire17 View Post
    Like cochief said... "Contact: Audra Ader for specific details at 720-568- 2163, or 800-688-8606, extension 32163"
    The pay must not be that good considering he didn't bother to list that ONE small detail...
    "FBHF"

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

"What do Cops and Firefighters have in common? They BOTH WANT To be FIREFIGHTERS!"

"I love the Police Officers have firefighters to look up to..."

Back In Black

How good does it have to be?

You can only buy so many snowcones and italian ices while you are there....
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Snow cones and and Italian ices in the Antarctic aren't really what i care about.
    And I'm sure it's not that good. But i'd like to know the number.
    Every other contract headhunter/Chief posts that information on here. Why not this one?

Forum Member

I would imagine that the pay is nothing compared to the 'warzone' contracts. As well as you do not get a tax break either.

But I'm sure there is some kind of pay info that is a little dated in the forums somewhere if you were to do a search on other Antartica threads.

Forum Member

yep, found that.. didn't know if the pay had changed though.

Forum Member

Does a bachelor's degree in fire science count for anyting? Also I noticed all the ff positions require EMT-B, would being an EMT-P provide any advantage in the hiring process?

MembersZone Subscriber

A BA in fire science would help you if you wanted to go down as a LT or Capt. Providing you have all the other required certs... There's usually not very many medics, so I'm sure that will help also, and you'll make a bit more as well. I think it was about $75 extra per week (back in '05 anyway).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmeltz View Post
    I'm straight out of the academy. Is it possible to get a contract job without having any experience?
    Absolutely, most of the guys who are Air Force FF's fall under this category.

MembersZone Subscriber

It isn't that bad. There is a new chief down there now as well. The one who posted in this thread moved on, but its fun for a couple times. I went in 2009, and 2010.

Forum Member

As of March 2012 Raytheon Polar Services is no longer doing the hiring for firefighters. Check out http://www.paegroup.com/career-search There are several listings for firefighters at both the South Pole Station and McMurdo.

Required: IFSCA , Pro-Board/DoD, or State Certified Firefighter II; Airport Fire Fighter; Hazardous Materials First Responder: Operations; and EMT-B required. National Incident Management System (NIMS): ICS 100 and 200 are required. Valid state driver’s license is required

Three years previous full time firefighting experience is required; two years volunteer experience or paid on-call time equals one year full time experience.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkohner View Post
    As of March 2012 Raytheon Polar Services is no longer doing the hiring for firefighters. Check out http://www.paegroup.com/career-search There are several listings for firefighters at both the South Pole Station and McMurdo.

Required: IFSCA , Pro-Board/DoD, or State Certified Firefighter II; Airport Fire Fighter; Hazardous Materials First Responder: Operations; and EMT-B required. National Incident Management System (NIMS): ICS 100 and 200 are required. Valid state driver’s license is required

Three years previous full time firefighting experience is required; two years volunteer experience or paid on-call time equals one year full time experience.
    Did the pay change when PAE took over?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jalli1978 View Post
    Did the pay change when PAE took over?

You would have to contact PAE and ask them that, I'm not sure.

Forum Member

Hello All,

I just got an email from PAE requesting my resume to be updated. So since I have not applied for Antarctica since Oct 2011 I am figuring that they are hiring. I would have taken it, the Winter-Over 2012 contract, but I found out that I was having a kid so that took priority.

Cherry-O
    -Corey "Mr O-we-some!" Walsh
    Moron AB Fire Dept USAFE
    Moron, Spain

"I think it takes a particular coward to criticize procedures that you don't understand particularly when they apply to places that you don't have the bravery to go." FDNY Battalion Chief John Sullivan at the Black Sunday Fire trial

MembersZone Subscriber

I just returned from McM on a PAE contract. I was making 1200 a week.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ROGO43 View Post
    I just returned from McM on a PAE contract. I was making 1200 a week.
    Was that after taxes?

MembersZone Subscriber

They must have increased the pay cause when I was there last year I only brought home about 3,500.00 a month after taxs. And I claimed zero deductions.

Forum Member

I was considering applying but I don't see 3,500 a month as worth it really. Not too much more than I make now...

MembersZone Subscriber

If you are going down for the money, look somewhere else. McMurdo isn't for people who want to make money. Most were retired or people wanting to go full time back home and were just using this as a stepping stone.

The ice isn't for everyone. I know the pay increased, but if you want more money go to the sandbox.

Thread Information