Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by philfirerescue View Post
    If you are going down for the money, look somewhere else. McMurdo isn't for people who want to make money. Most were retired or people wanting to go full time back home and were just using this as a stepping stone.

The ice isn't for everyone. I know the pay increased, but if you want more money go to the sandbox.
    I just want to go and say, hey, I have fought fires in Antartica. I have always wanted to go to Antartica for some time now and this seems like the perfect way to do it. Getting paid to fight fires in Antartica, a place almost nobody gets to go, sign me up.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=USCGFF;1429303] I'm not familiar with what Driver Operator Pumper/Mobile Water Supply is, could someone fill me in. It is just the normal pump operator course with EVOC?
    QUOTE]

Driver/Operator Pumper and Driver/Operator Mobile Water Supply are two different certifications from the DOD. We had to do a different course for each. The pumper course involved your typical engine operations (pumping, drafting, driving...) and the mobile water supply course involved our water tender and more resupply operations, but still involved pumping, drafting and driving.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by USCGFF View Post
    Ok, now that PAE is the contractor, does anyone (who has gone through the hiring process with PAE) know how strict they are when it comes to what certifications you need? I have been watching what the requirements are for some time now and they have seemed to have changed this year. Before 2015 all you needed was FF I, FF II, Haz-Mat Ops, Aircraft Firefighter and EMT-B. Now as of 2015 you also need Driver Operator Pumper/Mobile Water Supply. Does anyone know why Driver Operator Pumper/Mobile Water Supply was added. I'm not familiar with what Driver Operator Pumper/Mobile Water Supply is, could someone fill me in. It is just the normal pump operator course with EVOC?
    I was going to apply for the position, just had to wait another six month to fill the 6 year requirement for volunteers and now they add this to the list of requirements.

Also does anyone know how competitive it is to actually get a firefighting position?
    Mobile Water Supply is Tanker Ops.

It's simply the tanker component of the DO/Pumper class.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Mobile Water Supply is Tanker Ops.

It's simply the tanker component of the DO/Pumper class.
    Thanks for the information!

Thread Information