Forum Member
    A waaayyy down South in Dixie (aka, Alabama)

Default So there is an Emu terrorizing my town..

Yeah....the title is right, this is a rather bizzare story even for me. There is a Emu on the loose, for those of you who don't know what a Emu is just picture an Ostrich. Now you may be wonder why a bird that looks like that is terrorizing my town? it's not nessaceraly the bird itself but more the trail of destruction the bird is leaving behind. So far by my count the bird has

-knocked down one guys fence
    -crushed several shrubs
    -scared at least one elderly lady
    -has nearly been the cause of several wrecks

He has been sighted by about dozen or so folks in 3-4 different places around our community. So far he has stayed away from my familys little pondorossa until today.

To give you a little background on why a bird like that is even running around let's turn the clock back about a year...somewhere around last june-july a storm came through and blew the birds owner barn/shed down and he escaped...people reported seeing him in the county seat, which as the crow flies is about 22 or so miles from my community. People reported seeing him for over the new few weeks then he dissapered and alot of people thought something got him or that he was so doscile and dependent on humans he couldn't survive on his own. Well, they were wrong.

He has resurfaced, a year later and 22 or so miles from home and he apparently has became ferral again because whenever he has been flushed out of hiding by people he has been described as attempting to fly and running like some kind of bat out of hell. Over the past 3-4 days more people have seen him and he has by most accounts been headed this way. At some point this week the bird in question was running from a dog and jumped over a fence into a pasture, the horse that was in the pasture didn't appreciate the visitor and jumped over the fence and out of the pasture. Now there is a horse on the loose along with the Emu, Its about 2-3 miles to my house from where the horse in question escaped from and this morning I was helping my grandparent's pick/shuck/blanch (aka boil) and lastly freeze the corn. We were outside when my dog buddy started to bark we looked to see there was an unfamiliar horse streaking past the house at mach speed in the pasture. He was booking it like he was running away from something, we still have no idea where that horse is..

I believe the Emu is nearby. This afternoon my mother was going to church to prepare for bible study (my mom leads the music) and as she drove to the church (which is maybe 2 miles from my house) she drove past one of our pastures and saw a strange truck parked out in the field with a strange looking, shaggy haired man running bare foot chasing something. I don't know if it was the birds owner, or if it was some kind of bounty hunter in search of a reward...or if it was just some drunk crazo running around. She stopped at a neighbors house to use the phone to call my aunt because this guy was running in the pasture in front of her house, while she was there she heard how the bird was also seen running up a driveway across from the church early that morning, which its from here he is thought to have jumped into the pasture.

I want to see what all the fuss is about and try to see if I can find this long necked hell raiser so at some point tomorrow I'm going to pack up my camera, load up my .22 and go for a walk and see if I can find this bird, don't worry. I don't plan on shooting it but I sure don't want to be out there without some kind of protection if the bird tries to attack me.

The story may seem rather tame, it even seem as though it's not even terrorizing anything other than the few shrubs the bird has crushed or the animals it's scared, but whats funny is to hear folks talk about it. Bigfoot may as well be running around the way folks talk about it, I get more laughs on the older folks commentary on how its trouble and needs to be found. I will make sure to keep my ear to the ground on how this ends.

I'll update this if the story has anymore developments haha

Does anyone else have any stories similar to this? funny little quirks that happen in y'alls towns?

Forum Member

I am surprised that it would live through Turkey Season..(or deer season for that matter..)

"Hey Earl, You ain't gonna believe the size of them turkeys this year!!"

A lot of people got into the Emu breeding and selling market a few years ago. When the birds weren't making a profit, several were turned loose to fend for themselves because the owners couldn't afford to keep buying feed. I guess the market for emu feathers, meat, and eggs never really took off.
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

Forum Member

Do you have something bigger than a .22? That would be fine for a head shot, but thats a pretty small target. With the size of the bird, I would look at something more along the lines of a .38 pistol or a 20 gauge shotgun.

If you can get close enough, or you want to rig up some kind of trap, get a loop over the bird's neck and have the other end tied off to something secure. Then call animal control to shoot/tranquilize/remove the bird.

MembersZone Subscriber

Unless you're confident in your ability to make a head shot, I wouldn't rely too much on a .22's ability to stop an emu. They're big birds.

If cornered, they can also be quite aggressive and dangerous. Watch out for the kick.

We had a guy around the area that used to farm them. Like any livestock, they would sometimes escape. The roundup was usually a combined effort of the PD, FD, the owner and other area residents. I know about the kick after seeing a border collie attempt to achieve orbital velocity courtesy of an emu.

They did not like water. High pressure streams from the brush truck would move them right along. If you don't have some type of animal control in your area, good luck.

Where are you located in 'bama?

Forum Member

They're right.I'd try at least a 20 gauge,Magnums with #4 buck and put in the Full choke tube before I'd use a .22. You hit it with that LR and it finds out,it might get mad at you.
    If you do get it,they taste just like beef and work in either bird or beef recipes.Yum!
    Actually,I am not too sure about Tennessee's rules about non native game animals and don't know 'Bama's at all but in Kentucky,if it wasn't a native critter,it was open season year round on them.Just don't shoot over a roadway,from a vehicle unless handicapped and for dang sure don't be within 100 ft of an occupied building when you shoot.
    So,what are the rules for non native critters down there?
    Last edited by doughesson; 07-18-2008 at 04:09 PM.

Forum Member
    A waaayyy down South in Dixie (aka, Alabama)

Quote Originally Posted by EFD840 View Post
    Unless you're confident in your ability to make a head shot, I wouldn't rely too much on a .22's ability to stop an emu. They're big birds.

If cornered, they can also be quite aggressive and dangerous. Watch out for the kick.

We had a guy around the area that used to farm them. Like any livestock, they would sometimes escape. The roundup was usually a combined effort of the PD, FD, the owner and other area residents. I know about the kick after seeing a border collie attempt to achieve orbital velocity courtesy of an emu.

They did not like water. High pressure streams from the brush truck would move them right along. If you don't have some type of animal control in your area, good luck.

Where are you located in 'bama?
    Haha I hear ya on that, my sharpshootin' ain't to grand. I carry that .22 more for snakes than anything. I never saw the bird on my little nature hike, but if I had, and that bird wanted a piece of me I planned on firing at him/in the air then running screaming like a woman. That's funny though, I just picture a brush truck chasing a Emu...

I'm from Clay County, up around Sylacaua. There ain't much to it but it's home haha

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    So,what are the rules for non native critters down there?

Well done - with lots of BBQ sauce....
    Be safe y'all!
    IACOJ Animal Control
    Ladder 8
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"

Forum Member

Head shooting an emu with a .22? Waste of time, don't bother trying. And a .22 for protection against an emu? Again a waste of time. I know of one chest shot with a 30-30, and it had to have its head cut off before it stopped kicking!

A couple of rules. As said above, don't get within kicking range! Don't hit them with your car - an emu through the windscreen will not be a pleasant experience!

Best thing to do is leave it to the those who get paid to catch animals on the loose!

And farming the oversized chickens is pretty much a dead loss here too. Most of the things are loose right out in the country, where they're a protected species, so don't shoot them...
    "Professional" means your attitude to the job...

Nullus Anxietas ..... (T Pratchett)

Forum Member

This sounds like a job for bert gummer.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information