Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Do you wear your seatbelt?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

69 60.00%
  • Often, but not always

27 23.48%
  • Sometimes

6 5.22%
  • Rarely

8 6.96%
  • Never

5 4.35%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seatbelts?

Forum Member

Question Seatbelts?

Specifically on the firetruck while enroute to an emergency.

Just wondering how many of you guys wear seatbelts. Years ago, I rarely used it. Now that it's mandated by department policy, I wouldn't feel comfortable without it.

Forum Member

It is part of our SOPs to always wear seatbelts. I mean which department would have anything else in their SOGs/SOPs? Now the question whether we do or not is a different question.

It is ultimately the driver's responsibility to make sure everyone is wearing their seatbelts. I am often a driver but I hate to admit I don't check everyone before I roll the truck to make sure they have put their seatbelts on. I know it's out there to bite me in the rear.

The problem we have is people putting on airpacks and gear while the truck is rolling to a scene and only buckling up afterward. We all know the right way but it's hard to stop a truck from going until everyone is buckled up with all the adrenaline pumping...

Berkeley Township, New Jersey, United States

Sadly, I (along with a lot of my area's firefighters) rarely wear a seatbelt while riding in a fire truck.
    Pinewald Pioneer Vol. Fire Co. No. 1 Sta. 20
    "Piney Power"

Berkeley Emergency Response Team (B.E.R.T./Haz-Mat/WMD/CBRNE) Station 85
    Berkeley Township, New Jersey 08721

Why would you not wear your seatbelt?

"An analysis conducted by the NFPA of 30 years of data showed that 406 firefighters who died on the road, 76 percent were known not to be restained. In other words, in North America, 10 to 12 firefighters, die each year on the job."

The above quote was from FIREFighting in Canada magazine November 2007 addition

Changed 301 to 30
    Last edited by ShuswapFireF; 07-18-2008 at 11:34 AM.
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

When I started, you were considered a moron if you put one on and everyone rolled their eyes. We used to stand up in the crew cab and face forward, that was just the way it was. Now, the truck doesn't roll unless everyone is seated and belted.

It's been a while since I rode an engine but when I respond in my vehicle I always wear it. Always wear it anyway regardless if I am going to a call or not. If you are caught not wearing it you could be subject to discipline by department policy. So far, hasn't went past a good *** chewin.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Those that refuse to wear seatbelts should google Newton's Laws of Motion....

Yes, I wear mine.. in my private vehicle as well as the Car.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Our dept sop requires it. Our newer apparatus have an alarm that if there is weight on the seat but no seatbelt it goes off and the driver and officer get ****y (it's worse than the knox box key alarm)

MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShuswapFireF View Post
    Why would you not wear your seatbelt?

"An analysis conducted by the NFPA of 301 years of data showed that 406 firefighters who died on the road, 76 percent were known not to be restained. In other words, in North America, 10 to 12 firefighters, die each year on the job."

The above quote was from FIREFighting in Canada magazine November 2007 addition

I do hope that is a massive typo.

Unless you are counting being thrown from a horse, which ironically enough naturally lack seat belts, it is empirically impossible to do 301 years of research on seat belts.

Having said that, it is the NFPA and I wouldn't put it past them.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Yes it was a massive typo 30 not 301. Need to brush up on my typing skills, or the lack of.
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

Our trucks won't pull out of the station unless everyone has on their seat belt. That's one of the responsibilities of the driver is to check with everyone before we even roll the truck.

Forum Member

I wish we had a rig you could actually put a seatbelt on and respond with. I put mine on for the first time ever about 3 weeks ago, but I was not wearing gear, was returning from a water call.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    I wish we had a rig you could actually put a seatbelt on and respond with. I put mine on for the first time ever about 3 weeks ago, but I was not wearing gear, was returning from a water call.
    For anyone needing to either needing extensions or replacement including LARGE belts use www.gotbelts.com

Earlier this year I started refurburshing our reserve engine that we're purchasing and installed the belts to replace the old non-functioning belts. They worked great.

As for belts not only is it department policy, the vehicle will not move until the engineer and officer confirm that everyone is belted. We lost one of ours due to not wearing a belt.

There is absloutely NO EXCUSE for not wearing belts, ever.

Trust me, I used to not wear belts years ago and also got dressed while responding to calls, but that was when I was young and dumb.

I don't drive off the apron until everyone is belted. I don't drive off the scene until everyone is belted. I've had one FF talk back to me about it and he was given the option of staying at the station or putting it on.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Smile Getting Better

I try to remember to wear mine, and for the most part I do. I say I wearing my seat belt at or around 95% of the time now. As time goes on, I'm wearing it more and more. Our Chief has been harping on this for the past year and half and for the most part all of the guys have fell in line. No stupid Pledges to sign, just adults acting like adults. Go figure.

Stay Safe
    Bull
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default my 2 cent civilian input... to borrow from the Master

I try to remember to wear mine
    "Do or do not.There is no "try"
    Jedi Master Yoda

I believe the words we are looking for are "preventable deaths." I do not understand why you would not wear one.
    Last edited by superchef; 07-20-2008 at 12:24 AM.

Yes, I wear mine all the time.

I was called the "Seatbelt Nazi" the other day because I'm always making sure everyone is buckled up.....
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

The big question is; "why would anyone NOT wear their seatbelt?? Anyone who responds to MVA's on a regular basis can tell you the percentage of survivors vs. non-survivors and the correlation with seatbelt usage. Stay safe out there.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Cool

seatbelts! why would they put them there if ther didnt want you to use them. it takes two seconds to buckle up but alot of times for me its more of a peer pressure, and i know it shouldnt be that way. most of the time it depends on wose in the back of the truck or even whar the call is and where and even the apparatus we take. our '91 "squrt" is a true champion but the rear door on one side commonly opens up RANDOMLY! luckily we have seatbelts and that is the truck that i can say i always where my seatbelt in. seatbelts are starting to gradually make there way onto firefighters, its all just a matter of time.

MembersZone Subscriber

The new "Black Boxes" being built into the rigs will record what seats are occupied and not belted. The liability on the drivers and officers are going to increase even more than it is now.

I put my pants on.... hop in... and get dressed en-route. Mostly, response times are within 3 minutes. If longer, I buckle up once I'm ready.

If we were to wait to get bunked out, either A: Beat in our own district or B: house would burn down due to construction and size.

Granted, EMS calls, hell yes buckle up. But on fire calls.... I get buckled up once I'm bunked out.
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

Thread Information