MembersZone Subscriber

Default Lexington, KY FD

Can anyone give me any information on the city of Lexington's fire department. All help would be greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Try this link out.

http://www.lfucg.com/lexfire/
    The evidence of God's presence far outweighs the
    proof of His absence.

MembersZone Subscriber

Lexington FD provides fire and EMS and is comprised of around 500 paid supression personnel. There are 23 stations, 22 engine companies, 7 ladder companies, a specialty rescue company, and 9 ambulance (or EC-emergency care) companies and other specialized companies. They work 24/48 shifts and cover all of the Lexington City/Fayette County metro area divided into 5 divisions or districts. I went through their last recruit process and was assigned #5 on their hiring list, unfortunately the mayor put a freeze on hiring and I'm still waiting for them to start drill school. Here is another useful link http://unofficiallexfire.com/index.html that you may find more up to date than the "official" website.

Forum Member

what in particular are you needing to know? so far, previous posts have been pretty accurate, except sworn strength is 550, or 531 depending on who you ask. Current hiring list was put on "hold" but rumors are flying that there will be a hire of some "soon".....no one seems to know how many or when.
    Companies have 4 assigned, minimum of 3 riding. Buggies (ALS trucks) also ride with 3, a minimum of 2 medics and 1 EMT. All members are EMTs. 7 companies are Haz Mat companies and a "Haz Mat guy" per shift. 4 companies are Rescue companies, who do technical stuff and get dispatched as designed RIT to structure fires.
    Currently negotiating the 2nd collective bargaining contract. Current contract pretty good as far as pay, health insurance is expensive for family coverage though. Lexington PO-lice and Firefighters are in a stand alone pension plan. FF contribution rate currently at 11%. 20 years gets you 50% of your highest averaged 3 years with another 2.5% per year over 20. After serving 5years, you can buy 4 years of service time.
    IF they ever get around to hiring from this list, it will be a while before another hiring process is held. Last class was hired in 2006 and currently short 30 or 31 members. (11 or 12 if you consider that the city seems to think that being 19 under the stated strength (by ordinance) is OK)
    City revenues come mostly from a net profits and payroll tax. So when the economy is down, the bean counters run around with their hair on fire screaming about not being able to fund anything (new people, trucks, toilet paper, stations, etc) But for the most part, apparatus is 10 years old or less, and in decent shape. A mixture of (9)Smeal pumpers and (3)75' ladders, (9)Pierce pumpers and (2)105' sticks and (2)100' platforms, (3) Sutphen pumpers, and a lone E-1 pumper. Buggies are a mixture of Horton on International chassis, and Braun on Freightliner extended cabs. Got a couple of Excellance buggies on order now, as well as another Pierce 105' stick.
    anything else you want to know?

MembersZone Subscriber

LFD,
    I guess more speciffically I am trying to see if me having a degree in Fire Safety Engineering and Technology as well as my military service will play any role in the possibilities of getting hired on by LFD.

MembersZone Subscriber

SC, if I remember correctly from the hiring process I went through, you get a few extra points for EMT and/or paramedic, and college degrees. I also have a bachelors degree, but, you still have to go through the process just the same as everyone else and ultimately how you score or rank depends on your performances with the written, PAT, interview, polygraph, etc.

Forum Member

LFD2203,

Don't forget those Tempur-Pedic mattresses we are getting! (Maybe not us though, since they still aren't sure what they are going to do with the station...two days and still a hole in the bathroom wall...)

ftp://ftp.lfucg.com/Council/Dockets/080708web.pdf page 14

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by scfirefighter12 View Post
    LFD,
    I guess more speciffically I am trying to see if me having a degree in Fire Safety Engineering and Technology as well as my military service will play any role in the possibilities of getting hired on by LFD.
    Currently, being a paramedic carries more weight in getting hired than being a firefighter. Not sure what the military service gets you, at one time, vets of a combat action (Vietnam, Panama, Gulf War type events) got a little bump. I'm not sure what is going on now. However, most vets that make it to the interview seem to get a benefit from their military experience. Same for your degree. But the almighty medic license gets you a substantial preference point award from the beginning.

Forum Member

LFD-

Are any of the suppression companies ALS, or are medics stuck on the ambos all the time?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerMedic View Post
    LFD-

Are any of the suppression companies ALS, or are medics stuck on the ambos all the time?
    Currently, we have 11 companies that are considered ALS companies. It seems to work out that as new medics are licensed and begin serving their sentence, older medics have the opportunity to come off to wherever openings exist. They may go to an ALS company or not, depending on the need at the time. Some are lucky enough to come off after riding only a few years, and some elect to stay on to continue to receive the stipend for being assigned to the ambulance. It's a crapshoot sometimes, because where some medics get off after only riding a couple or three years , some may find themselves riding six or eight years because of timing or hiring/medic classes. The assigned medics are in a rotation and get a day off (ride the last call truck) based on the rotation.

Forum Member

Question

Any word from within the dept. on when the next academy may begin??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LSFDFFEMT View Post
    Any word from within the dept. on when the next academy may begin??
    RUMOR, and I stress RUMOR, has it that maybe 20 hires starting in early
    September. City Council has been on their summer break during July. They should be back in action in August and maybe they'll approve the hires. I wouldn't quit my day job until I saw my name in the Legals section of the Lex. Hearld-Leader though......
    Last edited by LFD2203; 08-06-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Forum Member

Yea I hear ya!! There was another post that said kind of the same thing on another thread about info from a "reliable" source... I'll believe it when I get the letter in the mailbox. Thanks for the update though, its been a long 6 to 7 months of waiting!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LSFDFFEMT View Post
    Yea I hear ya!! There was another post that said kind of the same thing on another thread about info from a "reliable" source... I'll believe it when I get the letter in the mailbox. Thanks for the update though, its been a long 6 to 7 months of waiting!
    Watch your mailbox. 21 new hires start 9.2.08

Forum Member

Smile

Got my letter today!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Got one too!

See LSFDFFEMT, I told you I had a "reliable" source. Got my letter yesterday, so I'll see you on the 2nd!

Forum Member

Congrats and good luck in "The Academy."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

Thanks a lot! I'm ready to be a "sub".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMedicWoody View Post
    Thanks a lot! I'm ready to be a "sub".
    That would be "Recruit Firefighter..."

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by lexfd5 View Post
    That would be "Recruit Firefighter..."
    The PC PO-lice have gone too far. Next we'll lose the water bird and blue dye.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am glad I am already married! Heard about that blue dye...

Forum Member

Not sure what you are talking about there...

I just thought we had a lot of leaky pipes in our stations.

Thread Information