Thread: Ohio

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ohio

I grew up in Ohio and upon completion of my military service I would like to return if at all possible, however, in the state I only have the 36 hour basic as well as an 88 hour basic from PA along with varoius other academy classes from SC. I am in the process of change jobs within the Navy that will take me into the corpsman field and allow me to finish my degree in Fire Safety Engineering and Technology as well as my Medic ticket. All this said, what if any advantages or advice can you give a "Vet" with 6 years service and 6 years prior volunteer FD service when it comes to apply within the state.

Forum Member

Most places give preference for veterans and having your EMT-I or EMT-P (extra points on the written) but there's no bonus points for being a volly. Having your medic cert will basically be your "shoe in." You'll pretty much be guaranteed a job with that.

Forum Member

welcome back to OHIO! Evanbell is right. Dont listen to the fools that say you cant get hired in Ohio, we have jobs, cities are hiring, and yes it is a hard job to get, but it is worth the trouble trust me!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    Most places give preference for veterans and having your EMT-I or EMT-P (extra points on the written) but there's no bonus points for being a volly. Having your medic cert will basically be your "shoe in." You'll pretty much be guaranteed a job with that.
    I would not say shoe in at all. Most test anymore require you to be a medic or in school to even sit for the test. The only exceptions, for the most part, are the major cities that do not run their own EMS. Get you medic card and worry about the fire stuff later. They will pay for that. The next couple of years are the goledn time to be hired. The DROPlings will be going out in mass.
    Jason Brooks
    IAFF Local 2388
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Yep, with your vet extra credit, and your medic, you'll be in a good position. I think you need the FFII to get hired unless you want to work for a big city dept. that has its own academy. Some places also give extra credit for a degree, but how much and what kind of a degree varies.

The one thing I did that made a huge difference in my scores (besides extra credit) was to take as many tests as possible, even if I wasn't interested in the city. I quickly figured out my weaknesses (high school math 7 yrs out of HS anyone?) and then I paid for a few hours of tutoring to brush up on all that algebra and geometry that I had forgotten (or never learned!). After I would leave tests, I'd immediately write down the topics of questions that stumped me and read up on them later. I also took the practice tests in the different study guides you can buy, and that helped. So that is something you could do to prepare yourself. I don't know if they hire through testing in the area you are stationed in, but if not you could at least do the study guides.

Once you are back in state, I would also recommend the study sessions offered at www.fireprep.com for any city you are really interested in. Expensive, but so worth it. And as my disclaimer, I don't work for them and am not affliated in any way. I just feel like what they offer has been key to the exam scores I've been getting.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=scfirefighter12;970290]I am in the process of change jobs within the Navy that will take me into the corpsman field and allow me to finish my degree in Fire Safety Engineering and Technology as well as my Medic ticket. QUOTE]

Being a former Navy Corpsman, let me be the first to warn you. In no way does being a corpsman get you a "medic" ticket. I know first hand, when I got out and went to challenge the National Registry and State they laughed in my face. I know we do/did way more than any street medic can dream of, but thats the truth of it. Unfortunatley your experience as a corpsman will not count either, in terms of "years of experience as a medic". When I got out it was the same song and dance as it is now, the Navy will tell you they're working on legislation to get your Paramedic through state/national entities. While that may be true, they're a long ways off from that happening.

Dont take if from me though call the national registry. Im pretty sure the only thing that you may get out of being a corpsman these days is your EMT-B. Unless the Navy is now offering a C school that will actually let you get your Paramedic, I would double check so you dont make plans for something that might not work out. Good luck either way, and thanks for YOUR service.
    Doc Flip

Engine 33 West Side

MembersZone Subscriber

docflip,
    Thanks for the advice, i'm not trying to challenge the test at all but it will be nice to be on shore duty and able to finish my EMT and MEDIC while there. I'm looking forward to the times to come though.

Thread Information