Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default It Took 3 Years But I Finally Figured It Out

Since shortly after arriving in the DC area, my general opinion of the local drivers and driving practices has been that everyone here still thinks they drive horse and buggy.

Today that opinion changed. I had just joined the traffic entering the city, at Constitution and Rte66 (23rd St intersection) when two black Suburbans enter the far curb lane from the Lincoln Memorial. No big worry there, they stayed in that lane for two intersections. Except that the rear veh keeps crowding the lane marker; are ya gonna change lanes or not?

At 19th St, the police strobes go up on the rear vehicle (which just happens to be on my front right bumper). Not being awake yet, I figure he's a cop and just got a call. So I ease up to let him in. Funny thing, no sirens...??? The two of them take up my lane, then at 15th they literally cut two cars off to take the far left lane. Eventually they turn up 9th St.

No turn signals were used, or any other warning devices, except the one time with the police lights.

NOW I know why everyone drives like they do around here:

THEY ALL THINK THEY DRIVE FOR THE SECRET SERVICE!

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post

No turn signals were used, or any other warning devices, except the one time with the police lights.
    Due to Government cutbacks and budgets being squeezed tighter and tighter, the Secret Service was issued a choice.. Police lights, or turn signals... So, because they are more fun, the police lights became standard equipment and the turn signals were omitted..
    I fish for a living, but I have to work for money...

MembersZone Subscriber

Three years is nothing, I know of a guy who has been in DC almost 8 years and still doesn't have a clue.........................

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by egon911 View Post
    Three years is nothing, I know of a guy who has been in DC almost 8 years and still doesn't have a clue.........................
    Your congresscritter,of course.

Here in Memphis,those signs with the numbers on them and words that read"Speed Limit"?
    Those are just the suggested speeds for the roads.Anytime you are actually doing the speed limit,people just blow their horns at you and their kids flip gang signs at you as they pass.
    The police?They see the other cars going 5+ over the limit and keep going to their next Code 1 call or to the donut shop.Doesn't even faze them.
    Does anyone here REALLY believe that if the 55 MPH speed limit is reinstated,that people will obey it?I've got an old bridge to sell if you do.It's slightly used so I can give a discount.

Is it made of wood or stone, and does it have appropriate warning flashers on it?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

It Took 3 Years But I Finally Figured It Out
    I saw that title and immediately thought: I didnt know he was a chief...

Quote Originally Posted by DFW333 View Post
    I saw that title and immediately thought: I didnt know he was a chief...

You're right, I'm not a Chief, that's why it only took me THREE years and not the "proscribed FIVE years" LOL
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Is it made of wood or stone, and does it have appropriate warning flashers on it?
    Nope.Made of metal and only used by little old ladies out for their Sunday drives.
    The flasher bit confused me.Around here people are tested at the inspection stations to see if their vehicle's lights and turn signals work but no one uses them:"It works,now it's out,it works,now it's out......."
    You don't use them to signal a lane change or turn because you'll only upset those that don't use theirs because they don't know what it means.
    And that doesn't even begin my irritation at those running around with their high beams on.Are their eyes THAT bad or do they just not scan the dashboard at all when driving?
    (You opened the bottle,yanked my chain etc.)

AHAHAHAAAA Doug, I meant "warning flashers" as in "CAUTION. Bridge ahead" kind of flashers eheheheheeheee.

People don't use their signals because they are afraid that somebody might be following them. (They don't want anyone to know where they are going..) About the only time I've seen somebody around Memphis use their turn signals on I-240 is when they have missed their exit, and are cutting across the safety stripes painted on the road while merging in front of you dangerously close. I think they are saying "I meant to turn here.." They usually are crossing three lanes while sipping coffee and talking on their cell phone. Then, they give you that half-hearted wave, like saying "yeah, your're mad, but whatever.."

half-hearted wave, like saying "yeah, your're mad, but whatever.."
    Is that what its called? No. "Mad" is when they look in the rearview mirror and they can only read "RO" in the word Chevrolet........ or "HT" in Freightliner. Or maybe two squares high, by five squares wide. (the slats in the grill work).

Talking

I was thinking more along the lines of being in a personal vehicle, or 4-wheeler, as I would call it. When in the Freightliner, I would usually get the ONE Fingered wave... I was told that it meant I was the #1 truck driver.. I just wish they would have used something other than their middle finger..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhvfd1214 View Post
    Then, they give you that half-hearted wave, like saying "yeah, your're mad, but whatever.."
    You get waved at??!!
    I usually get gang signs flashed at me,especially on the North 1-40 loop.I don't know if they are real members of whatever bunch they're flashing or just wannabes.

How about the other day when I was out on Sam Cooper(I-40 was supposed to cut Memphis that way years ago)followed by an MPD unit.I'd been doing 60 in a 55 zone and figured he had me dead to rights.
    I move out to the right to pull over,he just flashes by with no less than 7 cars behind and around him.
    It's bad when the cops don't want to enforce speeding laws.
    Last edited by doughesson; 07-23-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Since shortly after arriving in the DC area, my general opinion of the local drivers and driving practices has been that everyone here still thinks they drive horse and buggy.

Today that opinion changed. I had just joined the traffic entering the city, at Constitution and Rte66 (23rd St intersection) when two black Suburbans enter the far curb lane from the Lincoln Memorial. No big worry there, they stayed in that lane for two intersections. Except that the rear veh keeps crowding the lane marker; are ya gonna change lanes or not?

At 19th St, the police strobes go up on the rear vehicle (which just happens to be on my front right bumper). Not being awake yet, I figure he's a cop and just got a call. So I ease up to let him in. Funny thing, no sirens...??? The two of them take up my lane, then at 15th they literally cut two cars off to take the far left lane. Eventually they turn up 9th St.

NOW I know why everyone drives like they do around here:

THEY ALL THINK THEY DRIVE FOR THE SECRET SERVICE!
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showpost...&postcount=231
    It is all you out of towners bringing your strange habits and driving customs to the area and expecting others to predict what you will be doing that really causes trouble.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information