Forum Member

Default Finally getting on the job

So I heard from the chief of North Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue this past thursday and I start on August 4th. Anyone else get the job? If so you need a roomate. CANT WAIT to start the job where im gonna love going to work.

Forum Member

Congrats on the job now just remember that you were given two eyes, and two ears, but only 1 mouth. That means eyes and ears open and mouth shut.

MembersZone Subscriber

North Myrtle Beach...what an awesome town! Congrats!

MembersZone Subscriber

Congtatulations on your success. Here are some tips to help you throughout your career.

The First Day

The following article is being reprinted with the permission of the author, Captain David Shetland of the Long Beach Fire Department.

The fire service is going through unprecedented turnover due to the Baby Boom generation retiring. Hiring is at an all-time high.
    The downside is, we are losing an entire generation of experienced firefighters. Most had military experience; as a result, their work ethic, motivation, and esprit d’corps served as an excellent example for rookies.
    With these personnel gone, firefighters with only three or four years experience may be thrust into the unfamiliar position of being the most experienced person on the job – the “Bull Firefighter.” As such, he or she must serve as a role model to new hires.
    This information is based on years of instruction that was given to me several years ago by my senior firefighter. I have shared it dozens of times with other firefighters, and it has served them well. Now I will pass it on to you.
    I’ll always remember what the drill instructor told me on the last day of academy: “You only have one chance to make a first impression.” Since then, I’ve done a lot of thinking about ways to make a positive first impression – hopefully, one that will last your entire career.
    After receiving your initial assignment, you should probably visit the fire station before your first shift. This offers several advantages over showing up the morning of your first day of work. Among them:
    • Locating the fire station ahead of time ensures you won’t get there late on your first day because you got lost.
    • It’s advantageous to become familiar with the firehouse in advance. Where do you park? Is there a gate and, if so, will you need a key? Will you be issued a station key? Where should you put your turnouts, and what time should you arrive?
    • You can talk with the other rookie(s) to learn the morning routine and find out what duties need to be completed before line-up. For example, what time is the flag raised? When is the paper brought in and coffee started? Find out any other special information that may pertain to that particular station, and ask for a tour.
    • Don’t forget the importance of becoming familiar with the apparatus on which you will be riding. You are going to be a vital part of that apparatus and its crew. Know it; live it; learn it.
    When you show up on this reconnaissance mission, be sure to bring ice cream or another treat with you. This will go a long way with the crew.
    When your actual first day of work arrives, it is a good idea to show up in uniform (and carrying donuts). Be nice and early.
    The absolute first priority is to find out which apparatus you will be riding on and where. Once you have learned this information, relieve the person in that seat and check over the apparatus thoroughly.
    My suggestion is, once you have put your turnouts on the rig, immediately check your breathing apparatus and all its functions. If someone should ask you the pressure in the bottle, you should know it!
    Now go through the rest of the rig with the same resolve. Your life, as well as the other members of your crew and the citizens you are sworn to protect, depends on this equipment.
    Here is something else to consider: If your fire station has multiple rigs, you should know them all. At a moment’s notice, you just might be temporarily assigned to another piece of apparatus.
    Once you have completed these tasks, make sure to get right to your daily duties. Finish them expeditiously.
    When the captain calls line-up, be the first one in the kitchen. While you’re waiting for the other members to arrive, straighten up the kitchen and start serving coffee. Be the last one seated, and provide service throughout the line-up.
    It just doesn’t look good for you to stand around while a senior member of the crew serves coffee. We’ve all had our “day in the sun,” and now it’s your turn.
    Once line-up is done, start working on the weekly duty. Don’t wait for someone to tell you what to do.
    If at any time a run comes in, make sure you are the first one on the rig. Write down the address and the nature of the call.
    It’s not uncommon for other crewmembers to say, “Where are we going, and what is it for?” This is especially true if the department doesn’t have MDT’s. The point is, if they ask and you have the information, it’s Brownie Points for you.
    When you have completed your daily and weekly duties, what is next? This is a good time to ask other crewmembers if they need assistance with anything. If they don’t, it’s time to go through the rigs again and again.
    What kind of impression will you make if a piece of equipment is requested and you don’t know where it is? You know the answer to that! I can’t stress enough the importance of not only knowing where everything is, but what it is and how to use it.
    As a rookie, you’re under the microscope. In other words, you’re going to be scrutinized throughout your probation.
    The following are some general guidelines for not only making a good first impression, but also creating a reputation you can be proud of your entire career:
    • Introduce yourself to everyone. Don’t wait to be asked who you are.
    • Don’t be afraid of mistakes! If you’re not making mistakes, you’re not learning.
    • Never give up your tools. If someone asks to borrow them, inform the person that as soon as you have completed your initial task you will be happy to assist him or her.
    • Always answer the phone.
    • Show initiative – do things without being told.
    • Do one extra task per day for your station or apparatus.
    • Be seen but not heard.
    • If you’re not sure if you should be in full PPE, err on the side of caution and fully suit up.
    • Be the last one to bed and the first to rise.
    • Prepare completely for drills. Remember, the rest of the crew has heard the drill numerous times. Do everything possible to give them some new information they may not have heard before.
    • Always give 110%. You want others to tell you to slow down, not speed up.
    • Remember, if they want your opinion, they will give it to you!
    A career in the fire service is a privilege - so no complaining about being interrupted during dinner or after you go to sleep. When you are given what you feel is a tough or crummy assignment, remember that you don’t “have” to do it, you “get” to do it. Never forget that!
    Being a rookie is not an easy task. The fire service is filled with old traditions and quirky nuances, but if you start with these simple guidelines, you’re sure to create outstanding habits and make a terrific first impression. Believe it or not, you’ll probably look back on your probation as the greatest time of your life!
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com
    Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

congrats...

Default Nmb Fd

I just got the call the other day for my start date of Oct. 6th. How do you like it there so far? I've heard a lot of good things about the department.

Thread Information