Default Military Firefighting (Air Force)

Hello all,

I have searching through the fire forums for quite some time and just created a membership to have some of my questions answered. Thank you in advance for all the help.

I am 21 years old in pursuit of the badge. I currently work for a 911 ambulance response company in southern california as an EMT. I have past experience in Ocean lifeguarding and Fire Cadet. I am in the process of testing with several municipal fire depts.

My questions are this: I was recently introduced to the idea of joining the air force as a firefighter. My training would include basic training and then I would be trained at the DOD Fire Academy in Goodfellow, TX and then be a FF at an Air Force base where needed. This sounds ideal to me because of the training and experience that I would gain. From there, I would try and get on with a Federal Fire Department and build my career from there. What can I expect from joining the air force with an MOS in Firefighting? What would my MOS be; so that I could tell a recruiter that is all I want to do? I am very new to the whole idea of military firefighting and dont quite know how to go about talking to a recruiter to guarentee my MOS as a Firefighter and going through the necessary training to be a FF in the military.

If someone can point me in the right direction and give me the insight to a career as a military FF, I would really appreciate that. Again, sorry the "rookieness" but I hope to have a better understanding of it all and began my training.

Jonathan

I am in the same boat as you, I have been a volunteer and i Love it, before, when I was younger, I always wanted to be in the USAF, so I decided I wanted to combine the two, I have military access to the local AFB, Patricks AFB in Florida, I stopped and asked some of the base firefighters this question, basically you need to take your ASVAB test, a military "standards" test, depending on your scores will tell you what you can/can't do.. so if all goes well you need to get a good score, go see a recruiter and be prepared (they will try to enlist you in something else, something they need [my father started out as one] so be prepared...) if all goes well you will get your training, and have a 4 year contract with the USAF, the min years required to retire in the air force is 20 years, unless if that changed,

my question is, do you like it? [going for the people that has already done it, or is in it now, and what to expect in Texas..]

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by vcfd35 View Post
    My questions are this: I was recently introduced to the idea of joining the air force as a firefighter. My training would include basic training and then I would be trained at the DOD Fire Academy in Goodfellow, TX and then be a FF at an Air Force base where needed. This sounds ideal to me because of the training and experience that I would gain. From there, I would try and get on with a Federal Fire Department and build my career from there. What can I expect from joining the air force with an MOS in Firefighting? What would my MOS be; so that I could tell a recruiter that is all I want to do? I am very new to the whole idea of military firefighting and dont quite know how to go about talking to a recruiter to guarentee my MOS as a Firefighter and going through the necessary training to be a FF in the military.

Jonathan
    Hey man...I have been an Air National Guard FF for almost 2 years now. To answer some of your questions...

-Active Duty, I am not so sure they can GUARANTEE you a position. I know in the Air Guard when you enlist for a job, that IS the job you will be going to tech school for. Active duty im not totally sure about but i dont think you know your DEFINTIE AFSC until 4th week of Basic Training.

-The Fire Apprentice AFSC (its not called MOS in the AF) is 3e731.

-The opportunities for training are endless as a military firefighter. You are going to get a world class fire academy and great con-ed training.

-To be totally honest, you will seldom be putting all these skills to use. Thats the truth. Dont let ANY military firefighter or recruiter tell you that your going to get TONS of "real-life" experience. Yes. You will run calls, maybe even a few big ones. But you WILL not be running as if you are a city department, catching jobs twice a month. It just doesnt happen on military installations. With that said, you WILL be coming out of the military with high-class training and mentality that will be seeked by those Federal jobs your looking at.

-In my honest opinion, go AIR GUARD. You go to the same school as the active duty, even in the same classes as some. You'll do you Con-Ed courses at home and on drill weekends. But on top of that you can go out and still get a Fed or Municipal job without waiting the 4 years for ur active contract to be over. Its quite the deal if you ask me

-Stanton
    -Ron Stanton

Avondale Fire Company
    Chester County Station 23

visit our page @ http://www.avondalefirecompany.org

DCFD
    Engine Co. 11
    www.houseofflame.com

Forum Member

As a USMC firefighter in the reserves, I second AFFire24's recommendation.

Forum Member

Default Ad??

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceFire24 View Post
    Hey man...I have been an Air National Guard FF for almost 2 years now. To answer some of your questions...

-Active Duty, I am not so sure they can GUARANTEE you a position. I know in the Air Guard when you enlist for a job, that IS the job you will be going to tech school for. Active duty im not totally sure about but i dont think you know your DEFINTIE AFSC until 4th week of Basic Training.

-The Fire Apprentice AFSC (its not called MOS in the AF) is 3e731.

-The opportunities for training are endless as a military firefighter. You are going to get a world class fire academy and great con-ed training.

-To be totally honest, you will seldom be putting all these skills to use. Thats the truth. Dont let ANY military firefighter or recruiter tell you that your going to get TONS of "real-life" experience. Yes. You will run calls, maybe even a few big ones. But you WILL not be running as if you are a city department, catching jobs twice a month. It just doesnt happen on military installations. With that said, you WILL be coming out of the military with high-class training and mentality that will be seeked by those Federal jobs your looking at.

-In my honest opinion, go AIR GUARD. You go to the same school as the active duty, even in the same classes as some. You'll do you Con-Ed courses at home and on drill weekends. But on top of that you can go out and still get a Fed or Municipal job without waiting the 4 years for ur active contract to be over. Its quite the deal if you ask me

-Stanton
    - There has been QUITE a debate on this forum whether or not a recruiter can guarantee you a FF job in the AD Air Force. I got in AD with a guaranteed job in firefighting so I know I could be done, but that was before they booted 40,000 out. Anyways, Reserve/Guard is a good way of getting guaranteed.

- AFSC is 3E7X1

- Training IS endless. I just got Ice Rescue last yeart and I just completed Rescue Technician II at Goodfellow which is FEMA's USAR certification/Trench Rescue. Any training you could get from a municipal dept could also be acquired from a military dept depending on your location. Vandenberg, CA has a smoke jumper team. Anderson, Guam has a dive team. Elmendorf has numerous rescue teams (wildland rescue, ice rescue, swift water rescue, etc etc etc.)

- On a military installation... no, you will probably put your skills to use maybe 3 or 4 times a year, if your an EMT-B or I, maybe twice a month. I know that Luke AFB, AZ has Phoenix Fire Dept bunker gear and runs with the city daily. Some bases have good mutual aid agreements. It depends on where you will be stationed at. If (and when) you deploy, you will probably see 1 or 2 good fires a rotation (4 months).

- Choice is yours if you do GUARD/Reserve/Active Duty. Stanton mentioned the benefits of the GUARD but from the Active side, you will recieve very good benefits for the job you hold. I don't know anybody that would disagree that military benefits are possibly the best in the nation. If you want more detailed information you can PM me. I've been in 6 years and been to quite a few different places in my time including Spain for 2 weeks for shuttle launches.

Good luck with you decision.

Forum Member

for the record, andersen does not have a dive team. they have a high surf/surface rescue unit equipped with wave runners and rescue boards.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dukduk View Post
    for the record, andersen does not have a dive team. they have a high surf/surface rescue unit equipped with wave runners and rescue boards.
    noted, thank you for the correction. however, it still supports my point.

Forum Member

I came in to the Air Force at the beginning of this year with a guarenteed job in Fire Protection and am now stationed at Hickam AFB HI. The AFSC is 3E7X1 and it is entirley possible to get a guarenteed job. Thats the only way i was coming in many recriuters will tell you that they can no longer give guarenteed jobs other than Security Forces (Cops) and Special Forces. This is not true! Recruiters are on a point system and the way it work they get less points for bringing in an Airman guarenteed over open general. Most recriuters will work more with you if you have prior Cerifications especially if they are IFSAC because that is what the DOD gives you. I had 4 years of volunteer time before i came in and that helped me considerabely but it all depends on how well the recruiter will work with you. As everyone has said "We are the best trained, least experianced firefighters in the world" be perpared for false alarms all the time. My base shares the flightline with Honolulu International Airport and we still do not run very many calls out there. I hope this information is helpful

Forum Member

Default A decision you have to make.

Quote Originally Posted by vcfd35 View Post
    My questions are this: I was recently introduced to the idea of joining the air force as a firefighter. My training would include basic training and then I would be trained at the DOD Fire Academy in Goodfellow, TX and then be a FF at an Air Force base where needed. This sounds ideal to me because of the training and experience that I would gain. From there, I would try and get on with a Federal Fire Department and build my career from there. What can I expect from joining the air force with an MOS in Firefighting? What would my MOS be; so that I could tell a recruiter that is all I want to do? I am very new to the whole idea of military firefighting and don’t quite know how to go about talking to a recruiter to guarantee my MOS as a Firefighter and going through the necessary training to be a FF in the military.
    Well brother good luck to you if you decide you want to get into the DoD system to get good pay good benefits and a great retirement.

But with all things nice comes the bad. Get used to sitting around the station on a daily basis doing "busy work” and by busy work I mean walking around with a rag all day long cleaning things that you cleaned an hour ago. Get used to crawling on your knee's dragging "Randys" just so your boss can get off on watching you quit. Get used to backstabbing trash talking co-workers and shady and questionable personnel decisions. Get used to being treated like a probe for your first year and a punching bag for the rest of it. Get used to 12 year service members being passed over for promotion by guys who went threw a bs 4 week training course 4 years ago and "OWN" (meaning they bought there certs and those prestige fire schools, instead of earning them. Yes Texas A&M I mean you) enough certs to cover their "me walls", kissing up to the closest captain to promote.

Don't get me wrong every place has the good and the bad. I am not pretending like my house is the only house in the service like this. So flame on if you wish, But if you want to catch fires, be a hero, put pictures on your wall, and news paper clippings on your fridge. Put the DoD out of your mind, Move to the ghetto and put in for a job in a "area that is predominantly a race other then yours” And let affirmative action quotas get you in the door.

Thread Information