View Poll Results: If you want to be a firefighter-emt should you go to medic school or a fire academy?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fire academy and fire science degree

14 53.85%
  • Medic school

12 46.15%
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default fire academy or medic school?

Hey yall,
    I live in Phoenix, AZ. I have been trying to get hired for a year or so. I want to be a ff-emt not an ff-P. But it seems much easier to get hired as a firefighter paramedic. I was a medic in the army but just want to fight fire and assist a medic now. But I also want to get hired asap. What is the best route and why. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get my job. Just help here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by djbaldwin2 View Post
    Hey yall,
    I live in Phoenix, AZ. I have been trying to get hired for a year or so. I want to be a ff-emt not an ff-P. But it seems much easier to get hired as a firefighter paramedic. I was a medic in the army but just want to fight fire and assist a medic now. But I also want to get hired asap. What is the best route and why. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get my job. Just help here.
    You are going to have a lot more options and a lot less competition if you get your medic. I used to say I was only going to do ff-emt but anymore most of the departments won't look at you twice if a ff-medic is against you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Whatever you do do not get your medic! Go to an academy, get your fire science degree, pursue avenues regarding fire only. (unfortunenately I voted before I read your post).

I see to many like you in this business, who get a medic card so they could get a job. No problem, as long as you would like to be a paramedic and have some intrest in EMS! Let me be clear though, there is nothing wrong with not wanting to be a paramedic, and simply wanting to be an FF/EMT. The problem lies with people who become medics, so they can become firemen. When this happens disaster looms in the distance. It comes in the form of disaapointment, heart ache, anger, and most of all regret. How you ask? Simple, most FF/PM spend a good amount of time on the box. In turn they may miss fire calls, in fact in some places you can even forget about being a ff for the first 3-5 years. My point is that you will end up disappointed and angry while the engine is responding to a fire and your stuck with a patient. These emotions most often become projected on the patient. Also think about in the way of how you would want to be treated, would you like to be treated by the guy who wanted to be a medic or the one who became a medic just so he got the title of firefighter? Think about it, and good luck.
    Doc Flip

Engine 33 West Side

Forum Member

I guess it just depends what department you're going after. Ask around and see what other FF's say or what your city's department is looking for.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you want to work for the Phoenix Fire Dept you don't need to be a medic. My academy had one medic out of 35. Even if you are a medic, you are used as a FF/EMT until you're off probation.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess that solves it. maybe I'll just go to an academy. I just want the job yaknow

Forum Member

got to go medic

being medic will allow you to get a job in the burbs and get experience to use to get on the bigger city departments. plus make some cash while you're waiting. Then again i'm up in Michigan, could be a whole lot different down south, the only strictly firefighter department around here is Detroit.
    Last edited by Macari; 07-28-2008 at 07:58 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Out west most small department look for paramedics so they do not have to pay for the training and overtime to fill the spot while you are in training. Mid sized Department and some larger Departments let you do a lateral transfer.
    I know Orange County, Sacramento and San Jose have in the past.
    Slop sink, Flags and pump 150
    Getting there is half the fun

MembersZone Subscriber

I would say get your medic. That is one thing that I am regretting right now. I waited so long to start my medic school that I know I missed some opportunites that were available to only medics. Personally I think that a fire science degree doesn't show anything. When you get hired you will be put through an academy so you will get all the training you need. The Medic will open doors up for you.

Forum Member

Default Wow

After over thirty years in the Fire Service and I'm told that a Fire Science Degree shows nothing???? If you go to an oral board and they see that you have applied yourself to get a degree in Fire Science ...How do you think you'll stack up against someone who walked in the door to take the exam. During drill school when they start talking about different fire related items...how much more ahead are you then the others ????? More education in the field you are working in......IS NOT A WASTE !! I think you need to re-think your feelings about getting your AS Degree in Fire Science. I know you said personnally you think that....but I think....." that's Stinkin Thinkin"
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

I think that a 4 year degree from any university in any subject shows more then a 2 year degree. Remember this is just my opinion. I have been told by many officers in many different departments that the fire science degree is not that impressive anymore.

Forum Member

A fire science degree isn't that impressive anymore, but neither is a bachelors degree to the rest of the work force. I got my bachelors for another career choice and have had to go freelance because the field is saturated with people who have BAs. It's hard to get a good job (non-fire) with one, but virtually impossible without.

Same with the AS. It's not impressive because everyone is getting them to stay competitive.

I voted academy. Where I live, only the big counties and several big cities will put you through their own academies. Most departments require you to already have gone through one before they will even read your application. You can get your medic and still only be able to apply to 1/4-1/3 of the departments around here.

Forum Member

Default Mines bigger

Now days....it IS!! better to have a BS in Fire Administration than an AS in Fire Science but it is in no way not impressive. Like i've said before...If you are going through an Oral Exam and the raters see that you have applied yourself and received your AS in Fire Science then you are steps ahead of the candidate who just walked in a took the exam. I do not know of any Chiefs that I have met or worked with who think that a AS in Fire Science is not impressive.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Thread Information