So, I'm down in San Diego, and within the direct area (northern S.D., specifically), there are only a few volunteer FD's (all being in neighboring cities that already have full-time, paid FD's, as well).

I noticed the thread regarding emergency lights and sirens on POVs, and someone stated that they're a no-go in California. My question here is - is that entirely true?

I've never noticed them before, except once (a few days ago). I saw a truck (POV, not official) with two red grille lights and what looked like a rotating one in the dash. It was parked, and there were people in the parking lot, so I didn't want to stare at it - I just thought that seemed funny (as we don't have too many VFD's around here). Another interesting thing I noticed was that the truck had one of the California FF license plates on it.

I checked the CVC site in regards to lights & sirens, and this is what I thought (though, I don't know if that truck had a siren, I would assume it did):

"27002. No vehicle, except an authorized emergency vehicle, shall be equipped with, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle any siren except that an authorized emergency vehicle shall be equipped with a siren meeting requirements established by the department."

"25252. Every authorized emergency vehicle shall be equipped with at least one steady burning red warning lamp visible from at least 1000 feet to the front of the vehicle to be used as provided in this code.

In addition, authorized emergency vehicles may display revolving, flashing, or steady red warning lights to the front, sides or rear of the vehicles."

"25269. No person shall display a flashing or steady burning red warning light on a vehicle except as permitted by Section 21055 or when an extreme hazard exists."

"25252.5. (a) Every authorized emergency vehicle may be equipped with a system which flashes the upper-beam headlamps of the vehicle with the flashes occurring alternately from the front headlamp on one side of the vehicle to the front headlamp on the other side of the vehicle. The flashing of the headlamps shall consist only of upper-beam flashing, and not the flashing of any other light beam.

(b) "Upper-beam headlamp," as used in this section, means a headlamp or that part of a headlamp which projects a distribution of light, or composite beam, so aimed and of such intensity as to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 350 feet ahead for all conditions of loading.

(c) The system provided for in subdivision (a) shall only be used when an authorized emergency vehicle is being operated pursuant to Section 21055."

By 'department', I'm assuming they're referring to the CA DMV, and not an individual Fire/EMS department.

So, what say you? This legit? Is that allowed in CA?