Default Advice on the latest extrication equipment

Hello from Iowa everyone. We are looking to purchase a 2nd set of extrication tools and i'm looking to get input from what you all are using and the pros and cons of all systems out there. Thanks for your input.

Chris Poulson
    Deputy Chief
    Bondurant Emergency Services.

Forum Member

Enable the p.m. option in your profile, and I will give you my opinion..

Forum Member

I absolutley love our new TNT stuff. It has cut everything we have thrown at it.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

Angry

Oh good... another post of "what should I buy", which turns into yet another mine is better than yours... do a search for cryin out loud. This topic has been beaten to death, resurected and beaten again....

Forum Member

Yea, it is just you....Dont like it? Dont read it stupid. We had holmatro tools before the TNT and had good luck with them also Chris.
    Buck
    Assistant Chief/EMT-B

Forum Member

We are very satisfied with our Phoenix Rescue Tool equipment. I also get to work with Champion Rescue Tools at a race course I help at. I have seen nothing negative with them.

But since you are purchasing a second set, I would suggest you seriously consider staying with what you have for your first set (especially if you intend to keep the first set in service). Dealing with one company for service and training makes a lot of sense to me.
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 08-02-2008 at 11:40 AM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

The best way to determine what will work for you is to evaluate the diffrent makes of tools at you station. Take notes on likes dislikes and what works for way you run. I've used allot of the major tool brands and they all do what they should do, some have better controls, some are easier to hook up, etc. But no really bad ones, it all comes down to having to do the homework to find what fits your department best.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would like to know what your second set is for and on what vehicle (as far when will the rig roll out, is it to address a certain problem). Keep same company but see if there is a role for them or are they just back up. that would help onm giving advice.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMedic View Post
    We are very satisfied with out Phoenix Rescue Tool equipment. I also get to work with Champion Rescue Tools at a race course I help at. I have seen nothing negative with them.

But since you are purchasing a second set, I would suggest you seriously consider staying with what you have for your first set (especially if you intend to keep the first set in service). Dealing with one company for service and training makes a lot of sense to me.
    Considering that I sell Hurst I'd love to tell you to buy Hurst, but the above post is right on the money. Unless you are planning on replacing all of your tools I would strongly consider staying with the same manufacturer as you currently use. Good luck!

Forum Member

Thumbs up Just Pro's Say That Flamewalker

Can't agrre more with you guys. All of them will do what the specs says they were built for. I teach with Holmatro, Hurst, Lukas and Amkus at this moment. I've used other brands they have had pros and cons. First, check out your budget, then what you need your HRT's for (meaning all aplications you plan) Then check for confort. If you like CORE system on hoses then go fore Holmatro no other has it. If its gripping and handling check around I use to dislike Hurst on this but loved other characteristics but since Hurst adopted Lukas control systems nice although some don't like the star control. Anyway, As allways make a list of needs and geneal ideas and then check what is on the market. If your actual equipment is edoing the job stay with it. Would like to know which brand you are using right now. By the way flamewalker I need some spare parts for an Xtractor and my dealer is ****ty. Could you contact me. ulloa930@yahoo.es or julloa@datacr.com please.

KEEP SAFE!

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BUITRE View Post
    Can't agrre more with you guys. All of them will do what the specs says they were built for. I teach with Holmatro, Hurst, Lukas and Amkus at this moment. I've used other brands they have had pros and cons. First, check out your budget, then what you need your HRT's for (meaning all aplications you plan) Then check for confort. If you like CORE system on hoses then go fore Holmatro no other has it. If its gripping and handling check around I use to dislike Hurst on this but loved other characteristics but since Hurst adopted Lukas control systems nice although some don't like the star control. Anyway, As allways make a list of needs and geneal ideas and then check what is on the market. If your actual equipment is edoing the job stay with it. Would like to know which brand you are using right now. By the way flamewalker I need some spare parts for an Xtractor and my dealer is ****ty. Could you contact me. ulloa930@yahoo.es or julloa@datacr.com please.

KEEP SAFE!
    An email is heading your way!!

If I was in the market, I'd go with TNT. We currently have AMKUS and their service after the sale STINKS. Nice tools, but repair and maintainance is almost impossible. We thought it was the dealer, but AMKUS is just as bad.

TNT's service in incredible and their products are great too!

Check warranties and read all the fine print. If it sounds too good to be true, well, it probably is. A lot falls on the dealer. Have him provide references in your area that can vouch for his service. Some dealers can even certify you to work on your own tools.

Forum Member

Hurst all the way. The new connects are awesome, no more having to dump the pressure to change the tool. One twist and your changed. If you are considering Core ask the dealer what happened during the FDNY test and why they now have a special tool. Hint vapor lock. Also the Hurst crash computer program is top of the line. We have it in all three chiefs trucks computers and when we get our new heavy rescue truck it will be in that two. No more guessing where to cut.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I come in peace

I'm not saying they are great or advocating them, but has anyone seen that Genisis has a new cutter that got all 9's on the NFPA test.

Forum Member

Stay with what you have as long as your tools are NFPA compliant and able to conquer new car construction. Adding on is sometimes easier financially than a department-wide conversion, unless of course, your dealer is offer a phenominal trade in allowance.

MembersZone Subscriber

What part of Iowa are you from. I am from NW part of the state. We currently use TNT tools. If you would like a demo on them contact Sandry Fire, Bob Sandry is very knowledgeable when it comes to extrication work and tools.

Forum Member

does anyone have any information regarding a TNT tools that blew up recently where a FF was injured? would like to know more details..

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptDan66 View Post
    does anyone have any information regarding a TNT tools that blew up recently where a FF was injured? would like to know more details..
    I actually had heard something about a TNT tool "blowing up," but I thought that was somewhere in California? Something about the body of the cutter blowing open...not 100% sure on where/extent of injuries/cause, etc. I'll poke around.

Forum Member

Exclamation TNT Blowup!?!?

I can tell you first hand about a TNT Spreader Blowup... In Wisconsin!! Just this past August 25th, 2008. I was operating the pump about two feet from the guy that was twisting the handle!!! Pump was idled, and the tool was on the ground! Think its the same story Beastfighter is talking about!

CaptDan66 - Send your email to djgfyrman@hotmail.com and I can give info and more!

The guy is fine now, but had a blast to face and eyes of mineral oil. Many Dr and Eye appointments. Work Comp Nightmare!

I will NEVER buy TNT again as long as I am Station Chief!!!! The rest is history!!!

Buy Genesis!!

DG

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Buy Genesis... god knows they never have any problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by djgfyrman1 View Post
    I can tell you first hand about a TNT Spreader Blowup... In Wisconsin!! Just this past August 25th, 2008. I was operating the pump about two feet from the guy that was twisting the handle!!! Pump was idled, and the tool was on the ground! Think its the same story Beastfighter is talking about!

CaptDan66 - Send your email to djgfyrman@hotmail.com and I can give info and more!

The guy is fine now, but had a blast to face and eyes of mineral oil. Many Dr and Eye appointments. Work Comp Nightmare!

I will NEVER buy TNT again as long as I am Station Chief!!!! The rest is history!!!

Buy Genesis!!

DG
    This is the first that I have heard of this incident occuring.

Incidents like this should be shared with fellow rescuers as a learning experience to prevent further occurances. As you where directly involved in this incident could you share some of the actual details with us. Was an investigation completed and what where the findings ? Was this on a call or a training incident ? What model of spreader failed ? Was it the body of the spreader or a hose that failed ? How old was the spreader and was it serviced and maintained as per manufacturers guidelines ? Was the spreader utilized in another evolution prior to this occuring ? Had the spreader ever been dropped or damaged in any way ? Was the operator wearing full PPE including eye protection ?

Default UL has a test

I looked at a lot of tools and found out that UL as a rescue tool standard that is tougher then NFPA, but only Holmatra meets it. why don't the others?

Angry This is not good

I've tried to find there NFPA number a/b/c/d/e/ with no results and now there tools are blowing up. this is not good.

MembersZone Subscriber

DFG post the info here rather than emailing you, get it in the open if it actually happened, I called the plant the plant and they don't have a record of it.
    The evidence of God's presence far outweighs the
    proof of His absence.

Thread Information