makes good girls go bad

Default Career NJ Firefighters, assistance needed...

Being home in Ocean City the past coupla days reminded me how much I miss it here.
    Without going to deep into it, I am seriously considering coming back. With the current way Florida is going, churning out FireMedics every month, and many of them poor quality, and hardly any jobs for them, it seems that getting hired there is next to impossible.
    The local MICU project is looking for lots of Medics, so I can get a stable job, with pretty decent pay to start me off, and I love EMS anyway, so I'm sure not going to complain about it.
    Now, OC has a 100% career Fire staff, and I want to get on. I plain on living here, so I get residency credit, but how, and where do I register to take the civil service exam?
    Second, I know that Volunteer FFs get credit for their service. I was a VFF for aprox 8 months here, between 2 depts (moved while up here), but can I use out of state VFF experience towards the Civil Service points?

Any advice you guys can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    AJ
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

As far as I know, and I could be wrong, but I always thought that though the NJ test is a state-administrated test, you have live in the city where you want to test. Kinda stupid if you ask me, but then again, most things that the People's Republic of New Jersey does, doesnt make a lot of sense. (Thats why you pay the toll LEAVING- because it's a priviledge to go to Pennsylvania) You want to test for the Newark FD? Gotta have an address. Wanna test for Camden? Gotta have an address there. Dumb. If things have changed in recent years I am sure someone in the know will pipe up. And the credit for volunteer service? Never heard that one.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not sure how the volunteer status plays out, but I think volunteers who belong to a combination department get credit for that department when taking the test. I may be wrong though. Go to www.state.nj.us/personnel and look under public safety announcements. They will have the answers you are looking for. As far as the local MICU program, they are always looking for medics.
    And I agree with FWDbuff, the residency thing sucks.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you live in the city your applying for you get a residency credit for the jurisdiction only. As far as the VFD credit you have to be on a department for 1 or 2 years I think to get credits cause heres a quote from the NJDOP ......"Volunteer Firefighters who pass all parts of the test may get up to 10 points service credit. Volunteers with two years of continuous service will get three service credit points. Another point will be added for each additional full year of continuous service, up to the maximum of 10 points." The next test is gonna be coming up in January 09 when they have there announcment, so just keep an eye out. =)

makes good girls go bad

And how long do you have to live there to get credit for being a resident?
    I was looking at moving end of Sept/beginning of Oct so I can take the test in Jan.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Volunteer points only count if you are a vollie in the town that you are applying for. So with OC being fully paid, you can not get vollie points.

You must be a resident at the time of application, meaning if you apply to take the test on Jan.1, you better be a resident on Jan. 1.

You realy should be a resident if you are trying for OC, they will check.

OC is a long shot for most right now. They just layed off 2 or 3 guys. The last list had in the nieghborhood of 18 vets on it. Even if you do well on the test you have the vets in front and the fact that they probably will not be hiring in the next few years other than retirements.

Forum Member

Come on down to the Diamond State {Delaware} and apply. Here there is no testing, No Residency Requirement {Unless you apply for the City of Wilmington....Yeah good luck with that}

New Castle County Delaware has numerous Volunteer Companies that have supplimented Career Staffing of either 12 Hour Shifts, 10 Hour Shifts, and some vary 24/72 or 24/48 {Depends on the department} Full and Part Time Positions open regulary and some pay decent and some not so decent....again it depends on the company. The average hourly salary for starting pay is between $14.00 - $ 16.00 an hour and the benefit packages vary.

I worked the County as a Fulltime Career Member from 2002 to 2006 before moving on to the Refinery Business {More $$$$ and better Pension} but I remained a Part Time Career Member and work pretty regulary at a rate of $14.00 an hour.

The He** with Jersey' and it's lists, testing, and buracratic pollitics. If you live in OC traveling to Delaware would maybe take you 1 to 1 1/4 hour but to do a job you love it's worth it.

Hiring process is Application and Interview just like any other job. If you have the certs {NFPA FF 1, FF2, NREMT, Haz-mat....for starters} and you interview well......You'll land the job

Forum Member

Do you know which department's are hiring? I'm looking for a 24/48 or 24/72 job since I live in central jersey (currently by Exit 9 of the NJTP) but willing to relocate for the right job), but don't know what departments are even hiring. Any way you can point me in the right direction?
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

makes good girls go bad

I know Cherry Hill just was looking for EMTs/MICPs for the EMS side. Try their website.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF

Thread Information