Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    jasper... any word on if they are using the BPAD again? Also, anything on the new academy date since March obviously isn't going to happen?

No clue. I know it's tough, but patience is the key. All we know is that there are recruit classes in the budget.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    No clue. I know it's tough, but patience is the key. All we know is that there are recruit classes in the budget.
    Thanks jasper. You're right, it is very tough. I was almost positive that I was going to have this job after being 1 of 47 to pass the CPAT. I'm going through my background check in DC, but Milwaukee is where I grew up. Many of the best firefighters I know are either MFD, or retired MFD. So this place really means a lot too me. Hopefully it all works out.

Forum Member

So uh this is off topic but jasper, just curious. How come you guys dont have anything on the back of your turnout coat. No big deal just wonderin haha.. Like kinda plain.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thanojon View Post
    So uh this is off topic but jasper, just curious. How come you guys dont have anything on the back of your turnout coat. No big deal just wonderin haha.. Like kinda plain.

Does it matter? What do you want a Superman "S" ?
    The guys in bunker gear jumping off a MFD rig with MFD on the rig, what more do you need?

Point is, having names and what not on the gear costs more money, of which I don't see a lot of money going towards. The gear needs to protect you, not show the public and the media cameras who you are.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    Does it matter? What do you want a Superman "S" ?
    The guys in bunker gear jumping off a MFD rig with MFD on the rig, what more do you need?

Point is, having names and what not on the gear costs more money, of which I don't see a lot of money going towards. The gear needs to protect you, not show the public and the media cameras who you are.
    Or to solve both problems, they could have a giant advertisement on back. Nothing like an MFD firefighter fighting a fire with a giant "Silk Exotic Gentleman's Club" logo on the back of their coat!

MembersZone Subscriber

I got an email today with my interview date. Looks like it will be the BPAD interview this time.

Forum Member

Yeah i know i was just curious as to why they were like that. And no, it doesn't matter. I've just never seen a turnout coat with nothing on the back of it. But no, i don't give a **** and its a question that just had curiosity to it.

Forum Member

Default Interview

Got my letter today

Once the test instructions have begun, late candidates will not be allowed into the testing room. Therefore, you must be on time. You should plan to spend approximately 1-1/2 to 2 hours at the test.

FORMAT: Candidates' interviews will be videotaped and evaluated at a later date by a trained rating panel. An Oral Examination Candidate Preparation Guide, explaining the format of this exam will be available on our website at www.milwaukee.gov/jobs/firefighter or from our office at City Hall (see above address)on or before February 6, 2009. Please be sure to review this Preparation Guide prior to attending your oral interview.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by manonfire08 View Post
    Got my letter today

Once the test instructions have begun, late candidates will not be allowed into the testing room. Therefore, you must be on time. You should plan to spend approximately 1-1/2 to 2 hours at the test.

FORMAT: Candidates' interviews will be videotaped and evaluated at a later date by a trained rating panel. An Oral Examination Candidate Preparation Guide, explaining the format of this exam will be available on our website at www.milwaukee.gov/jobs/firefighter or from our office at City Hall (see above address)on or before February 6, 2009. Please be sure to review this Preparation Guide prior to attending your oral interview.
    I noticed that the preparation guide wont be posted for a while. Question: Are we going to be in a group or will it be a personal interview. And this BPAD thing is a bit different it seems like.

Forum Member

I noticed that the preparation guide wont be posted for a while. Question: Are we going to be in a group or will it be a personal interview. And this BPAD thing is a bit different it seems like.
    It sounds more like a personal interview. From what I've heard, this interview type sucks...we'll see!
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

How would they administer the BPAD in a group setting?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
    How would they administer the BPAD in a group setting?
    Idk. The only reason i thought that because i believe i read somewhere on the letter to bring two pencils.. so i was like eh wtf? Wouldn't really need that for an interview? But yeah i know stupid comment. Not sure at all though how this BPAD will be.

Forum Member

I also was wondering what the "bring two pencils was also about"....also not quite sure of the exact, but I thought my letter said later on that "once candidates are notified of passing the written they will be asked invited to participate in a video based written." I may be wrong, i dont have my letter with me at this time...but doesnt that sound that they will be giving another written test??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EgressOne View Post
    I also was wondering what the "bring two pencils was also about"....also not quite sure of the exact, but I thought my letter said later on that "once candidates are notified of passing the written they will be asked invited to participate in a video based written." I may be wrong, i dont have my letter with me at this time...but doesnt that sound that they will be giving another written test??
    We'll probably need to fill out some kind of Scantron form before the BPAD starts just for the sake of documentation. Either that or someone got lazy and cut/paste from the written test notice.

Has anyone taken a BPAD before? I had a look at the sample video/scenario (the car accident) and I'm not sure if I'd be able to fill a whole 45 second slot (which will likely seem like an eternity) with my response. I guess you don't really NEED to fill the entire response time with words, but really, how long does it take to respond to 1 statement or question? 15 seconds max...

The best way I ever found to get information from a specific dept. without sounding generic as if you found the information on the city website, is to actually meet firefighters from the department. When I was testing, anytime I got an offer for an oral board I would call the Dept. and found out if it was okay to come by to do a station visit. I would call the specific station beforehand to make sure it was okay to stop by, get a couple of quarts of ice cream and head down to the station to introduce myself and pick their brains. I cannot tell you how helpful it was for me. Literally in my last hiring process, (the one that got me the job) I met a LT. who was actually going to be an instructor at the academy they were sending recruits through, needless to say he has been a good friend of mine ever since and that station visit definitely helped me get hired. I know some depts. will not allow station visits but if they do its a huge advantage come interview time.
    CL

Forum Member

Question. Are the people that FAILED the CPAT getting an interview too? Just wondering. Trying to get a rough estimate of how many are going to be at it

Forum Member

After reviewing the oral interview preparation online, it really doesn't seem like it will be that BPAD interview. Correct me if I'm wrong. Any thoughts on this? Also, does anybody (Clark I'm sure you would know), the answer to my previous question. thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

After reviewing the oral interview preparation online, it really doesn't seem like it will be that BPAD interview. Correct me if I'm wrong. Any thoughts on this? Also, does anybody (Clark I'm sure you would know), the answer to my previous question. thanks
    Yea that's not the BPAD. I think BPAD is a company. This, I think, is the same company that administered the written test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Yea that's not the BPAD. I think BPAD is a company. This, I think, is the same company that administered the written test.
    Got ya. Also, Clark, do you know if the candidates that failed the CPAT are going to be interviewing too?

MembersZone Subscriber

Got ya. Also, Clark, do you know if the candidates that failed the CPAT are going to be interviewing too?
    I work with one that failed and I think she said that they do not get to interview. Not 100% sure, but I think that's what she told me. So if the rumor was true about only 47 passing, then there are only 47 of the top 350 moving on. I'm also not sure if those of us that passed will have to take the CPAT again depending on how the interview goes.

One good thing happened for me though. It would have been nice to have my interview in Nov like planned, but with it pushed back, I'm eligible for preference points. I graduated in December so I will get 3 points for that.

Thread Information