Closed Thread
Page 11 of 11 First ... 891011
    MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jack7466 View Post
    Does anyone know when we will hear anything from the interviews? Or taking/retaking the CPAT? I found that most of my interview answers were roughly 60 seconds to 90 seconds and I finished pretty quick. Not sure if that's a good thing.

At what point do they add in preference points? was it with the original test score? or at the end with the test and interview?

Also clark918, Your AA doesn't count. You would to of had it done by application time, this past summer. According to the website information.

Thanks for any information! Be safe.
    Everything was extended though. Just like I thought that I was 1 of 350 to move on after the written. That ended up not being true. Then I was scheduled to interview last November. That changed as well. Now I'm 1 of 1750. haha I'll be pretty upset if it didn't count though.

I hope I don't have to take the CPAT again either. They told me that I wouldn't have to, but mine expires in May. Maybe I'll be fine since I already passed that part of the hiring process. If for some reason that I have to take it again in July, then I'll most likely be dropping out of the process. I have a conditional offer in DC and should hopefully know soon if I will make it into the next academy that starts next month. If I do, I won't be able to make any other tests. As much as I want to work for my hometown department, it isn't worth quitting a full-time job with a place like DCFD for the POSSIBILITY of a job which may not even happen. Especially with the way things are going in Milwaukee right now.

Good luck though. Hopefully things will run a little bit smoother this time.

Forum Member

Default Good news!

This is great news, we can put the rumors to rest now.

My last reply took 8 days to be posted, hopefully this is a bit sooner

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    I have a conditional offer in DC and should hopefully know soon if I will make it into the next academy that starts next month. If I do, I won't be able to make any other tests. As much as I want to work for my hometown department, it isn't worth quitting a full-time job with a place like DCFD for the POSSIBILITY of a job which may not even happen. Especially with the way things are going in Milwaukee right now.

Clark, nice job on getting hired, shoot me an e-mail and let me know how things go for you in DC.

Just remember, it's about getting this career and earning a living. This means that if you have a job, stick with it. Once you're sworn in, it's all on you. I wouldn't quit to come back for a portion of the testing process. You'll end up in whatever situation is best for you.

I also don't want to sound too negative about here, but you do deserve an honest take on things. We are in a bad way right now, at least as far as what is being passed along the info line.
    Nothing hard and fast, or in writing, but we appear to have some serious obstacles in the road ahead of us, as a department.
    A lot is going to depend on the state budget, which renews in July, and the amount of shared revenue back to the city is going to have a huge impact on our operating budget for not only the rest of this year, but next year.

It sounds as if DC is much more set from a financial point of view, than we are here. Again, I don't wish to discourage you, and you will land in the right position, you just need some patience which is very tough to have; I know from experience.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Clark, nice job on getting hired, shoot me an e-mail and let me know how things go for you in DC.

Just remember, it's about getting this career and earning a living. This means that if you have a job, stick with it. Once you're sworn in, it's all on you. I wouldn't quit to come back for a portion of the testing process. You'll end up in whatever situation is best for you.

I also don't want to sound too negative about here, but you do deserve an honest take on things. We are in a bad way right now, at least as far as what is being passed along the info line.
    Nothing hard and fast, or in writing, but we appear to have some serious obstacles in the road ahead of us, as a department.
    A lot is going to depend on the state budget, which renews in July, and the amount of shared revenue back to the city is going to have a huge impact on our operating budget for not only the rest of this year, but next year.

It sounds as if DC is much more set from a financial point of view, than we are here. Again, I don't wish to discourage you, and you will land in the right position, you just need some patience which is very tough to have; I know from experience.

Good luck.
    Thanks jasper. I appreciate your support and you've helped with a lot on here.

Unfortunately, there's a rumor about DCFD canceling classes now. Hopefully its just a rumor and I get my final offer soon. My medical/psych results should be here in the next week or so. DCFD is a great department that I would be proud to work for. I know some MFD guys that actually said that they share a lot of ideas back and forth with DCFD.

The big thing with MFD that interested me is all of the firefighters that I know. I'm a TA with MATC so I help out at the FF1 and FF2 classes. So I work with plenty of active MFD firefighters and some retired BCs. It would be really nice to work with those that have taught me all I know. I've looked up to those guys for years and some have almost been like family to me. It's nice actually hearing from the "bosses" that they would be honored to work with me. However, I'll take the first offer that I get and DCFD is definitely a dream department for me as well.

Thanks again jasper and I really hope that the city gets better. MFD is an amazing department. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about the city itself right now. Hopefully they get things together before a firefighter dies. Good luck with everything. I'll definitely keep in touch if I end up getting the final job offer and a start date with DC.

MembersZone Subscriber

They sent out results today. With the oral board and written my final score was a 103. I'm ranked number 10. Next step is the CPAT which I don't have to take so I guess they will be sending me a questionaire to start my background check.

If I can finish the process from DC, I will, but I start with the DCFD on Monday. So I'm definitely not quitting a great department to finish since I don't have a guaranteed job yet. If I did get it I would have a very difficult decision to make. Milwaukee has my family which is the big thing. However, I really like it out here.

I got my results today and even with no preference points I scored a 94 and i'm ranked 139. Wish I was a 10 though! But i'm on the list in Chicago Still and ranked 1480 and i'm curious as to how close that is in Chicago. I'm from CHicago and I would really like to work here but with this I think I really have a shot in Milwaukee. Does anyone know about what number interest cards they would be sending out for Chicago and how many firefighters Milwaukee is looking to hire? Don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good Luck

First off I would like to say good luck to everybody that made it the first time through, I wish I would have the extra points, but I knew that going into the process. I was sitting with a number lower than 100 going into the oral and after all the points I moved to the seven hundreds. This was my very first test and I have learned a lot . Good Luck Clark, who knows I may have ran into you at the CPAT,

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    They sent out results today. With the oral board and written my final score was a 103. I'm ranked number 10.
    And that is pretty much how it goes, you work your butt off to just get on a dept and when one finally takes a chance on you, everyone else starts calling. I wouldn't doubt you hear from LA and St Louis too.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

I ended up at ** on the list after all was said and done. I realize that no one knows when a recruit class is going to start and if/when that will be. My question is, however, about the 10 week EMT-training.

Has anyone been through this or know of someone who has? I'm looking for information such as: Number of days per week? How many hours per day? What hours of the day? Other than the training being free, are recruits paid for the time spent in class? Upon successful completion of the class, are recruits certified as Wisconsin EMT-B's or is the certification only good for the MFD? And anything else that you think I might want to know would be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by rjv128; 05-28-2009 at 12:28 AM.

Forum Member

Any word yet on those back ground packages? Or any updates or gossip in general?

I'm thinking it may be a bit slow for the next two months since a large group still has to do the CPAT.

Any idea what the hours of the academy are? I know cities all run things differently.

Thanks Jack

Forum Member

Smile Looking for an update!

Has anybody heard anything since the final results came out? Have your received a background packet to fill out yet? Any info is good info!

Thanx

Default Background investigation

Has anyone received their background investigation packet yet? I moved at the beginning of the month, and I made sure to update my address right away, but I'm still nervous that mine may have slipped through the cracks. On the other hand, the letter said it would arrive "in a few weeks", and it's only been about 4 weeks since then, so I don't want to go pestering the nice folks at 286-FIRE.

Any replies, either yes or no, would be appreciated. PM me if you prefer.

Thanks.

Forum Member

I haven't gotten anything yet either. Maybe you should call and post what they tell ya

Forum Member

I haven't received anything yet and I also have a friend that to the best of my knowledge has not.

I have not gotten my background investigation packet yet, either. I called about 2 weeks ago and they said they had not sent them out yet.

Forum Member

from the Milwaukee Fire and Police Commissioners Meeting 5/7/09:

"The top 325 applicants on the eligibility list were invited to begin the orientation process for the candidate physical abilities test that will take place in June. DER(Dept. of Employee Relations) presented a draft of its current Firefighter background investigation process which is being revamped to customize it to the Milwaukee Fire Department. The new process will contain four parts: the investigation process, the application of background standards, the background rating process, and the appeals process. The new process will also involve a panel of three representatives to evaluate the candidate’s suitability: one from DER, one from the Fire and Police Commission, and one from the Milwaukee Fire Department. The draft should be finalized and available soon".

Forum Member

Background investigations are due June 15th. If you're in the top 325 after the oral interviews and haven't heard anything about it you should call.

Forum Member

This seems to be a bit of good news for MFD for the time being:

Council orders furloughs, balks at snow fee increase

By Larry Sandler of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Jun. 16, 2009 1:30 p.m.

Milwaukee aldermen Tuesday ordered two-day unpaid furloughs for thousands of city employees, a move that would shut down most city offices on July 2 and Sept. 8.

But the workers' unions have threatened to fight the move, leaving the outcome uncertain.

The furloughs won't apply to front-line police officers and firefighters. But the police and fire chiefs can furlough non-essential personnel, and the Common Council turned back an attempt to exclude all police and fire department employees from furloughs.

Otherwise, the furloughs would involve most city workers, including Mayor Tom Barrett, aldermen and other elected officials. Employees who must work those days, such as 911 operators and sanitation workers, will be required to take two other unpaid days off.

Acting on a $14.1 million package of midyear budget changes from Barrett, the Common Council also fell one vote short of approving a $9.15 snow-and-ice fee increase. That fee increase is likely to be revived later this year, however, as officials seek to pay back money borrowed to cover last winter's higher-than-expected costs and to ensure enough cash is on hand to handle this December's snowstorms.

Aldermen rejected Barrett's proposal to cut crews from five firefighters to four on six of the last eight ladder trucks that still have five-member crews. That was the latest step in a long-running battle between the mayor and the firefighters union, and it is likely to resurface in 2010 budget debates.

And in a separate fiscal move, the council agreed to seek state Public Service Commission approval of a 3.8% water rate increase . That's what the commission considers a normal inflationary boost, but Water Works officials say they're likely to seek a second, larger increase soon.

Barrett has said his midyear package is aimed partly at building a 2009 surplus that will help cushion the impact of a 2010 budget shortfall projected at $90 million or more.

Any word on how large these classes in the summer will be?

Forum Member

I'm not sure how many people they're taking, but my number was in the 70's and I was selected.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone out there know the reason why the first 350 people out there were not good enough, that they had to find a new 325 people, Just wondering.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mikej1 View Post
    Anyone out there know the reason why the first 350 people out there were not good enough, that they had to find a new 325 people, Just wondering.
    I dropped out so that's one spot.
    Last edited by clark918; 07-17-2009 at 03:34 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 11 First ... 891011

Thread Information