Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 291011121314 LastLast
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    I work with one that failed and I think she said that they do not get to interview. Not 100% sure, but I think that's what she told me. So if the rumor was true about only 47 passing, then there are only 47 of the top 350 moving on. I'm also not sure if those of us that passed will have to take the CPAT again depending on how the interview goes.

One good thing happened for me though. It would have been nice to have my interview in Nov like planned, but with it pushed back, I'm eligible for preference points. I graduated in December so I will get 3 points for that.

Thank you for that information... glad to hear something of value in this confusing process... Congrats on the preference pts... wish I could gain some... however I am out of state and won't receive anything haha. Good luck to you I'm sure you'll be in that first class man. I'm anticipating that interview though! Wondering what it will hold...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thanojon View Post
    Thank you for that information... glad to hear something of value in this confusing process... Congrats on the preference pts... wish I could gain some... however I am out of state and won't receive anything haha. Good luck to you I'm sure you'll be in that first class man. I'm anticipating that interview though! Wondering what it will hold...
    I feel ya with the preference points. I feel like it's going to be a HUGE waste of my time to come up there since I don't get a single preference point but I'll still be there...I'm just not holding out any hope for a job here.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

To verify what Clark mentioned earlier: Those candidates that FAILED the CPAT do NOT get an interview. I verified this with several people who failed, and they are not continuing in the process.

Clark, congrat's on earning your Associates degree!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by APiernot View Post
    To verify what Clark mentioned earlier: Those candidates that FAILED the CPAT do NOT get an interview. I verified this with several people who failed, and they are not continuing in the process.

Clark, congrat's on earning your Associates degree!
    Well, this may sound a bit stubborn, but I'm glad to hear that information. At least that eliminates some 300 people right there... considering they want to interview 1800 or whatever the number is.

Forum Member

Iím confused, I got my interview e-mail and letter but I never took the CPAT.
    Will I have to take it after it I pass?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrashock View Post
    Iím confused, I got my interview e-mail and letter but I never took the CPAT.
    Will I have to take it after it I pass?
    Only about 47 of the 350 invited to the CPAT. So the 47 of us who had interviews scheduled for November had them canceled. Now the top 1750 from the written test get interviews. Then preference will be added on followed by the CPAT.

Forum Member

Only about 47 of the 350 invited to the CPAT. So the 47 of us who had interviews scheduled for November had them canceled. Now the top 1750 from the written test get interviews. Then preference will be added on followed by the CPAT.
    City politics at their finest...
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

haha grateful for an interview but whyyyyyy so high on the list. Stop in the 500's haha

I'm just throwing this out there, but I think more than 47 people out of the 350 passed. I took the CPAT in Nov and only 5 didn't pass out of my group of 24 individuals. This "47" that I keep seeing may be the number that originally had scheduled interviews in Nov and NOT the number of people that passed the physical from the original 350.

From what I have heard, about 40% didn't pass the CPAT. Thats approximately 200 or so that did. That's my information.

A far as the oral, I have no idea what to expect. I know that it will not be the BPAD as it was used in the past. Any ideas out there?

Forum Member

any advice on how to pass the oral? should i wear a tie or not? any examples of the questions that will be asked? i've been told that i will have to talk to a video, so what should i expect? thanks for any advice that is given.

Forum Member

Default B-Pad?

Quote Originally Posted by jsin925 View Post
    any advice on how to pass the oral? any examples of the questions that will be asked? i've been told that i will have to talk to a video, so what should i expect? thanks for any advice that is given.
    Will they be using B-pad or FireTeam Testing? Received this from a candidate:

I have an oral interview coming up with Milwaukee that will be video taped and sent off to be graded. Just wondering if you have anything else that will help me get this job. Test on Feb. 25th Thanks, Brett

Reply: This sounds like a b-pad type of test?

In B-pad, you will be presented with a video that shows many situations. You will be recorded by another video to view how you respond. At the end of each situation, you will be given an opportunity to pick one of several answers or tell what you would do.

B-pad is designed to see how you would react in situations if you were a firefighter. If you already had your answers in place, you would get high scores for an oral board, members of a city council hiring committee, B-pad or any other interview. The problem is most candidates don't have their script down to audition for the job of a firefighter.

We encourage candidates to prepare for b-pad like an actor does for a part in a play. Once they are in that part you only see their personal script on becoming a firefighter. This works especially well in the B-pad where you would want to act as if you were already a firefighter. Nothing short of this will do. It's show time. The bright lights of Broadway. It's time to grab your top hat, cane and step it out.

Key in B-pad is to listen and identify the issue, catching more than one issue, deciding the correct thing to do and using to total time you are given to answer each segment.

Here are four sample scenerios used in B-Pad:

Comforting a trapped child
    Aiding an elderly and ill citizen
    Responding to conflicting orders
    Confronting a coworker's substance abuse

Previous posting:
    I took a B-Pad about 4 months ago for a firefighter job. Luckily, I did get the job.

My advice to you would be to remain calm and relaxed through the process. They will give you 45 seconds-1 minute to answer. If you feel that you answered to the best of your ability and you have extra time, sit or stand there and DO NOT FIDGET and move around.

Sit still and wait for that scenario to end. Part of the evaluation is watching how you react after you answer. I think I had 8 scenario's that I had to provide answers for. To be honest, they are all common sense. Don't make more out of it than it is. Above all....remain CALM and COLLECTED. After all, if you can't do that in front of the camera, how are you going to do it on real calls. Good Luck!!

From Another Candidate:
    I know a few people on the fire dept. of the b-pad. I was talking to one of the rookies about the b-pad. He was telling me my responses short and to the point and that people were screwing themselves over by making their answers too long. Is this accurate??

Reply: You should use the allotted time to give a complete answer. Not to the point of rambling. When you're done with your answer, stop.

Too many candidates end up rambling towards the end of their answers. I refer to this as trailing off. Keep it simple. Your mind will tell you when you need to stop. It you donít, you will keep adding unnecessary stuff, mumbling, trailing off and the answer will be pronounced dead way out there somewhere ending with, ďBlab, blab, blab. And, thatís about all . . .Ē
    Last edited by CaptBob; 02-13-2009 at 07:55 AM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default What Do I wear to a firefighter Interview?

should i wear a tie or not?
    You're going to be video taped for review later right? How would you like to be one of the few who doesn't wear a suit? How do you think this make your best first impression? Perception is everything! Dress for success!!!!

I had a candidate tell me he went to an interview wearing a tie, suspenders and no jacket. I asked him, "Who did you think you are Larry King?" His mother would have never let him out of the house like that. I asked him if they called him back for a chief's interview? No. The defense rests. McFly?

Even though this might be b-pad the strongest non-verbal statement you can make in any oral board is what you wear. It is time to step up and make the investment.

Men: Do wear a wool suit in dark blue or gray. Pinstripes are fine, but avoid brown, black, or high fashion brightly colored suits. Sport coats or blazers are out, so is polyester. Tie should be in a solid color such as navy, red, maroon, or yellow stripe, or paisley print. Wear a white or off white, or pale blue long sleeved shirt in cotton or a cotton blend. Starch it no matter what the instructions say. No patterned shirts!

Black is a little too formal, more for dances, funerals and being a star in the movie Men in Black. If black is all you have, wear it.

Don't: wear casual or novelty watches, too much jewelry, monograms, religious, political, or fraternity affiliation accessories. Beards are out; mustaches are a gray area. When in doubt, shave it off.

When my Son Rob was going for his interviews, he had a new suit, shoes, tie, belt socks and, yes, new underwear. He said it made him feel like the candidate he wanted to be.

Question: Is simply slacks and a collared shirt ok?

Reply: NO! Be professional and look professional. If you want to be taken seriously it's time to step up and make the investment in the career you say you're looking for.

But I don't have $500.00 to spend.

Reply:It won't cost you $500.00. Go to the Mens Warehouse or a department store that has a sale.

Ask for the personal shopper (this service is free). They will get you fixed up in your price range. It will make a big difference.

Absolutely nothing counts 'til you have the badge. Nothing!
    Last edited by CaptBob; 02-13-2009 at 07:52 AM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default A tie is a good thing

any advice on how to pass the oral? should i wear a tie or not? any examples of the questions that will be asked? i've been told that i will have to talk to a video, so what should i expect? thanks for any advice that is given.
    I'm not going to try to sell you anything but you should wear a tie to the oral. Have you checked Capt Bob's page yet to see if they sell ties!!!!

Good Luck

Forum Member

Does anybody have any new information on what the interview is going to entail?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fallenaxe308 View Post
    I'm just throwing this out there, but I think more than 47 people out of the 350 passed. I took the CPAT in Nov and only 5 didn't pass out of my group of 24 individuals. This "47" that I keep seeing may be the number that originally had scheduled interviews in Nov and NOT the number of people that passed the physical from the original 350.

From what I have heard, about 40% didn't pass the CPAT. Thats approximately 200 or so that did. That's my information.

A far as the oral, I have no idea what to expect. I know that it will not be the BPAD as it was used in the past. Any ideas out there?
    I would have to agree. I am not sure if we were in the same group but I remember about 5 or so people didnt pass when I took the CPAT. You will have one less person because I am taking myself out of the process to start with Chicago in the March 3rd class.

Forum Member

any new info on the interviews?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ritogixxer View Post
    I would have to agree. I am not sure if we were in the same group but I remember about 5 or so people didnt pass when I took the CPAT. You will have one less person because I am taking myself out of the process to start with Chicago in the March 3rd class.
    Make that 2 less people I pulled myself out as well. I didnít go to my interview on Monday the 23rd. I will also be in the March 3rd recruit class for Chicago. See you 6am in a week Ritogixxer

MembersZone Subscriber

Just curious- the two guys that are starting Chicago what was you rank for the Milwaukee test?

Forum Member

So does anybody want to talk about what they thought about the interview, or more importantly, how they are going to select how many people move on, that type of deal?

Forum Member

i was ranked in the 1100's

Thread Information