Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

I've got my interview Friday. Hopefully it goes well. I'm ranked 48 right now(maybe a little higher after the top 350 took the CPAT) and should hopefully be getting 3 extra points now that I'm done with my Associate Degree. Little nervous about the interview, but I think I'm prepared.

At least when I finish I get to go home and pack for my flight to LA later that night. I have a written with Orange County, but I think I'm more excited about getting out of this weather than I am about the test. haha I don't know about the rest of you but I can't take this WI weather anymore. I guess it's good though that my biggest complaint about the Milwaukee Fire Department if I get hired would be the fact that the weather sucks.(which really has nothing to the dept itself) haha

Good luck everyone!

Forum Member

Clark, any idea on how the next selection will go? I.E. how many they will move on (another 350, another 500 etc?). Just curious if you, or anybody for that matter knows what will happen after the interviews are conducted.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by thanojon View Post
    Clark, any idea on how the next selection will go? I.E. how many they will move on (another 350, another 500 etc?). Just curious if you, or anybody for that matter knows what will happen after the interviews are conducted.
    No idea. I haven't talked to any MFD guys lately. Even if I do, I don't think they would know. This process has changed so much lately that it seems like most of the MFD guys are out of the loop right now. Hopefully it moves fast. However, I'm not too sure that it will since they have to review 1750 interviews. I'm not sure what is going to happen to those of us that already took the CPAT either.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pradermacher View Post
    Just curious- the two guys that are starting Chicago what was you rank for the Milwaukee test?
    My number is 164 before the CPAT, not that it sounds like these numbers mean anything. To everyone looking for a full time job I would recommend testing EVERYWHERE even if it is a department you dont want to work for. The experiance you get from an actuall interview for this type of job is better than any advice someone can give you. They can tell you what to expect, but they cant tell you what to do when you get nervious you have to figure that out on your own. Good luck to you guys. See you in the March 3rd academy manonfire08.
    Last edited by ritogixxer; 02-26-2009 at 12:54 PM.

Forum Member

Does anyone know when we will hear anything from the interviews? Or taking/retaking the CPAT? I found that most of my interview answers were roughly 60 seconds to 90 seconds and I finished pretty quick. Not sure if that's a good thing.

At what point do they add in preference points? was it with the original test score? or at the end with the test and interview?

Also clark918, Your AA doesn't count. You would to of had it done by application time, this past summer. According to the website information.

Thanks for any information! Be safe.

The hotline says the results from the oral interviews should be mailed out by May 9. As for preference points, my understanding was that they're added on at the very end of the process, when determining the final eligibility list. I may well be wrong about that, though.

Forum Member

Default question

Where does Milwaukee hold the academy? What part of town?

Any news on what part of the process they add the extra points? (resident, degree, vet)

Be safe!

Fire/Police academy is at 6680 N. Teutonia Ave.

And, from http://www.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrar...ighter_FAQ.pdf I see:

"Applicants who obtain a final passing score on the examination process may be eligible for additional points for military service, for being a bona fide resident of the City of Milwaukee at time of application, and/or for having an Associateís degree in fire technology or a Bachelorís degree in fire science."

That seems to imply, like I said before, that the preference points get added on at the very end, after you've obtained "a final passing score".

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Actual Info!

Hey, just took some time to read the minutes from the Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission and guess what...there was actually some info pertaining to the process here. This should put most of the rumors surrounding Milwaukee to rest (i.e. that only 47 of 350 passed the CPAT):

The written test was given in August, and 3,897 candidates
    participated out of the 5,712 who were invited to the test. The CPAT was given at Waukesha County Technical College in early November to the top 350 candidates (294 took the test, 243 passed).

The Commission decided to include the top half of those who passed the written test (approximately 3,500) in the testing process. Therefore, over 1,700 candidates will be invited to the oral examination and have the
    potential of being included on the eligible list based on a composite of written and oral test scores. The oral examination is planned for late February, 2009, and the participation rate is estimated to be 80-90%. The oral examination question and rating criteria development is almost finished. A videotape process will be used to administer the examination. Approximately 15 rating panels will be trained and rate the candidates by videotape over a 2-3 week period in March, 2009. The eligible list will be compiled in April, 2009, based
    on the written test (35%) and the oral examination (65%). Veteranís preference, residency, and education points will be added at this point. There are currently about 90 vacancies to be filled.

Groups of candidates who have not already taken the CPAT will then be notified and scheduled for CPAT orientation and practice sessions based on need and placement on the eligible list. The next CPAT may be scheduled around early July, 2009. The background investigation process will most likely overlap with the CPAT process, and those candidates who pass both will begin the 10-week EMT training provided by the Fire Department in August, 2009. Those who successfully pass the EMT training will be given a pass/fail
    medical examination, drug screen, and psychological evaluation.

This info is verbatim from the minutes but if you would like to read it yourself here is the link for the actual minutes
    http://www.city.milwaukee.gov/ImageL...tes_081218.pdf
    Last edited by APiernot; 03-23-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by APiernot View Post
    Hey, just took some time to read the minutes from the Milwaukee Fire and Police Commission and guess what...there was actually some info pertaining to the process here. This should put most of the rumors surrounding Milwaukee to rest (i.e. that only 47 of 350 passed the CPAT):

The written test was given in August, and 3,897 candidates
    participated out of the 5,712 who were invited to the test. The CPAT was given at Waukesha County Technical College in early November to the top 350 candidates (294 took the test, 243 passed).

The Commission decided to include the top half of those who passed the written test (approximately 3,500) in the testing process. Therefore, over 1,700 candidates will be invited to the oral examination and have the
    potential of being included on the eligible list based on a composite of written and oral test scores. The oral examination is planned for late February, 2009, and the participation rate is estimated to be 80-90%. The oral examination question and rating criteria development is almost finished. A videotape process will be used to administer the examination. Approximately 15 rating panels will be trained and rate the candidates by videotape over a 2-3 week period in March, 2009. The eligible list will be compiled in April, 2009, based
    on the written test (35%) and the oral examination (65%). Veteranís preference, residency, and education points will be added at this point. There are currently about 90 vacancies to be filled.

Groups of candidates who have not already taken the CPAT will then be notified and scheduled for CPAT orientation and practice sessions based on need and placement on the eligible list. The next CPAT may be scheduled around early July, 2009. The background investigation process will most likely overlap with the CPAT process, and those candidates who pass both will begin the 10-week EMT training provided by the Fire Department in August, 2009. Those who successfully pass the EMT training will be given a pass/fail
    medical examination, drug screen, and psychological evaluation.

This info is verbatim from the minutes but if you would like to read it yourself here is the link for the actual minutes
    http://www.city.milwaukee.gov/ImageL...tes_081218.pdf
    Great find! Some useful stats in there. I found it odd that only 294/350 took the CPAT.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Jack7466 View Post
    Does anyone know when we will hear anything from the interviews? Or taking/retaking the CPAT? I found that most of my interview answers were roughly 60 seconds to 90 seconds and I finished pretty quick. Not sure if that's a good thing.

At what point do they add in preference points? was it with the original test score? or at the end with the test and interview?

Also clark918, Your AA doesn't count. You would to of had it done by application time, this past summer. According to the website information.

Thanks for any information! Be safe.
    Everything was extended though. Just like I thought that I was 1 of 350 to move on after the written. That ended up not being true. Then I was scheduled to interview last November. That changed as well. Now I'm 1 of 1750. haha I'll be pretty upset if it didn't count though.

I hope I don't have to take the CPAT again either. They told me that I wouldn't have to, but mine expires in May. Maybe I'll be fine since I already passed that part of the hiring process. If for some reason that I have to take it again in July, then I'll most likely be dropping out of the process. I have a conditional offer in DC and should hopefully know soon if I will make it into the next academy that starts next month. If I do, I won't be able to make any other tests. As much as I want to work for my hometown department, it isn't worth quitting a full-time job with a place like DCFD for the POSSIBILITY of a job which may not even happen. Especially with the way things are going in Milwaukee right now.

Good luck though. Hopefully things will run a little bit smoother this time.

Forum Member

Default Good news!

This is great news, we can put the rumors to rest now.

My last reply took 8 days to be posted, hopefully this is a bit sooner

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    I have a conditional offer in DC and should hopefully know soon if I will make it into the next academy that starts next month. If I do, I won't be able to make any other tests. As much as I want to work for my hometown department, it isn't worth quitting a full-time job with a place like DCFD for the POSSIBILITY of a job which may not even happen. Especially with the way things are going in Milwaukee right now.

Clark, nice job on getting hired, shoot me an e-mail and let me know how things go for you in DC.

Just remember, it's about getting this career and earning a living. This means that if you have a job, stick with it. Once you're sworn in, it's all on you. I wouldn't quit to come back for a portion of the testing process. You'll end up in whatever situation is best for you.

I also don't want to sound too negative about here, but you do deserve an honest take on things. We are in a bad way right now, at least as far as what is being passed along the info line.
    Nothing hard and fast, or in writing, but we appear to have some serious obstacles in the road ahead of us, as a department.
    A lot is going to depend on the state budget, which renews in July, and the amount of shared revenue back to the city is going to have a huge impact on our operating budget for not only the rest of this year, but next year.

It sounds as if DC is much more set from a financial point of view, than we are here. Again, I don't wish to discourage you, and you will land in the right position, you just need some patience which is very tough to have; I know from experience.

Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    Clark, nice job on getting hired, shoot me an e-mail and let me know how things go for you in DC.

Just remember, it's about getting this career and earning a living. This means that if you have a job, stick with it. Once you're sworn in, it's all on you. I wouldn't quit to come back for a portion of the testing process. You'll end up in whatever situation is best for you.

I also don't want to sound too negative about here, but you do deserve an honest take on things. We are in a bad way right now, at least as far as what is being passed along the info line.
    Nothing hard and fast, or in writing, but we appear to have some serious obstacles in the road ahead of us, as a department.
    A lot is going to depend on the state budget, which renews in July, and the amount of shared revenue back to the city is going to have a huge impact on our operating budget for not only the rest of this year, but next year.

It sounds as if DC is much more set from a financial point of view, than we are here. Again, I don't wish to discourage you, and you will land in the right position, you just need some patience which is very tough to have; I know from experience.

Good luck.
    Thanks jasper. I appreciate your support and you've helped with a lot on here.

Unfortunately, there's a rumor about DCFD canceling classes now. Hopefully its just a rumor and I get my final offer soon. My medical/psych results should be here in the next week or so. DCFD is a great department that I would be proud to work for. I know some MFD guys that actually said that they share a lot of ideas back and forth with DCFD.

The big thing with MFD that interested me is all of the firefighters that I know. I'm a TA with MATC so I help out at the FF1 and FF2 classes. So I work with plenty of active MFD firefighters and some retired BCs. It would be really nice to work with those that have taught me all I know. I've looked up to those guys for years and some have almost been like family to me. It's nice actually hearing from the "bosses" that they would be honored to work with me. However, I'll take the first offer that I get and DCFD is definitely a dream department for me as well.

Thanks again jasper and I really hope that the city gets better. MFD is an amazing department. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about the city itself right now. Hopefully they get things together before a firefighter dies. Good luck with everything. I'll definitely keep in touch if I end up getting the final job offer and a start date with DC.

MembersZone Subscriber

They sent out results today. With the oral board and written my final score was a 103. I'm ranked number 10. Next step is the CPAT which I don't have to take so I guess they will be sending me a questionaire to start my background check.

If I can finish the process from DC, I will, but I start with the DCFD on Monday. So I'm definitely not quitting a great department to finish since I don't have a guaranteed job yet. If I did get it I would have a very difficult decision to make. Milwaukee has my family which is the big thing. However, I really like it out here.

I got my results today and even with no preference points I scored a 94 and i'm ranked 139. Wish I was a 10 though! But i'm on the list in Chicago Still and ranked 1480 and i'm curious as to how close that is in Chicago. I'm from CHicago and I would really like to work here but with this I think I really have a shot in Milwaukee. Does anyone know about what number interest cards they would be sending out for Chicago and how many firefighters Milwaukee is looking to hire? Don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Good Luck

First off I would like to say good luck to everybody that made it the first time through, I wish I would have the extra points, but I knew that going into the process. I was sitting with a number lower than 100 going into the oral and after all the points I moved to the seven hundreds. This was my very first test and I have learned a lot . Good Luck Clark, who knows I may have ran into you at the CPAT,

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    They sent out results today. With the oral board and written my final score was a 103. I'm ranked number 10.
    And that is pretty much how it goes, you work your butt off to just get on a dept and when one finally takes a chance on you, everyone else starts calling. I wouldn't doubt you hear from LA and St Louis too.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

I ended up at ** on the list after all was said and done. I realize that no one knows when a recruit class is going to start and if/when that will be. My question is, however, about the 10 week EMT-training.

Has anyone been through this or know of someone who has? I'm looking for information such as: Number of days per week? How many hours per day? What hours of the day? Other than the training being free, are recruits paid for the time spent in class? Upon successful completion of the class, are recruits certified as Wisconsin EMT-B's or is the certification only good for the MFD? And anything else that you think I might want to know would be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by rjv128; 05-27-2009 at 11:28 PM.

Forum Member

Any word yet on those back ground packages? Or any updates or gossip in general?

I'm thinking it may be a bit slow for the next two months since a large group still has to do the CPAT.

Any idea what the hours of the academy are? I know cities all run things differently.

Thanks Jack

Thread Information