Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 411121314
    Forum Member

Smile Looking for an update!

Has anybody heard anything since the final results came out? Have your received a background packet to fill out yet? Any info is good info!

Thanx

Default Background investigation

Has anyone received their background investigation packet yet? I moved at the beginning of the month, and I made sure to update my address right away, but I'm still nervous that mine may have slipped through the cracks. On the other hand, the letter said it would arrive "in a few weeks", and it's only been about 4 weeks since then, so I don't want to go pestering the nice folks at 286-FIRE.

Any replies, either yes or no, would be appreciated. PM me if you prefer.

Thanks.

Forum Member

I haven't gotten anything yet either. Maybe you should call and post what they tell ya

Forum Member

I haven't received anything yet and I also have a friend that to the best of my knowledge has not.

I have not gotten my background investigation packet yet, either. I called about 2 weeks ago and they said they had not sent them out yet.

Forum Member

from the Milwaukee Fire and Police Commissioners Meeting 5/7/09:

"The top 325 applicants on the eligibility list were invited to begin the orientation process for the candidate physical abilities test that will take place in June. DER(Dept. of Employee Relations) presented a draft of its current Firefighter background investigation process which is being revamped to customize it to the Milwaukee Fire Department. The new process will contain four parts: the investigation process, the application of background standards, the background rating process, and the appeals process. The new process will also involve a panel of three representatives to evaluate the candidateís suitability: one from DER, one from the Fire and Police Commission, and one from the Milwaukee Fire Department. The draft should be finalized and available soon".

Forum Member

Background investigations are due June 15th. If you're in the top 325 after the oral interviews and haven't heard anything about it you should call.

Forum Member

This seems to be a bit of good news for MFD for the time being:

Council orders furloughs, balks at snow fee increase

By Larry Sandler of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Jun. 16, 2009 1:30 p.m.

Milwaukee aldermen Tuesday ordered two-day unpaid furloughs for thousands of city employees, a move that would shut down most city offices on July 2 and Sept. 8.

But the workers' unions have threatened to fight the move, leaving the outcome uncertain.

The furloughs won't apply to front-line police officers and firefighters. But the police and fire chiefs can furlough non-essential personnel, and the Common Council turned back an attempt to exclude all police and fire department employees from furloughs.

Otherwise, the furloughs would involve most city workers, including Mayor Tom Barrett, aldermen and other elected officials. Employees who must work those days, such as 911 operators and sanitation workers, will be required to take two other unpaid days off.

Acting on a $14.1 million package of midyear budget changes from Barrett, the Common Council also fell one vote short of approving a $9.15 snow-and-ice fee increase. That fee increase is likely to be revived later this year, however, as officials seek to pay back money borrowed to cover last winter's higher-than-expected costs and to ensure enough cash is on hand to handle this December's snowstorms.

Aldermen rejected Barrett's proposal to cut crews from five firefighters to four on six of the last eight ladder trucks that still have five-member crews. That was the latest step in a long-running battle between the mayor and the firefighters union, and it is likely to resurface in 2010 budget debates.

And in a separate fiscal move, the council agreed to seek state Public Service Commission approval of a 3.8% water rate increase . That's what the commission considers a normal inflationary boost, but Water Works officials say they're likely to seek a second, larger increase soon.

Barrett has said his midyear package is aimed partly at building a 2009 surplus that will help cushion the impact of a 2010 budget shortfall projected at $90 million or more.

Any word on how large these classes in the summer will be?

Forum Member

I'm not sure how many people they're taking, but my number was in the 70's and I was selected.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone out there know the reason why the first 350 people out there were not good enough, that they had to find a new 325 people, Just wondering.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mikej1 View Post
    Anyone out there know the reason why the first 350 people out there were not good enough, that they had to find a new 325 people, Just wondering.
    I dropped out so that's one spot.
    Last edited by clark918; 07-17-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Thread Information