Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

the form i got in the mail yesterday says the test is on august 12, registration from 8-845am

MembersZone Subscriber pedalinmedic's Avatar

i know some guys that are testing on the 11th. but mine is also on the 12th.

by the looks of the building its not that big. So i would imagine that there will be multiple days of testing
    "Some people train till they get it right, we will train till we can't get it wrong"

Is gaire cabhair de na an doras

Virtete et Valare Luceo Non Uro

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pedalinmedic View Post
    FACT: you cant get the job unless you test.... TAKE THE FREAKING TEST, whats 400 bucks for the career of a lifetime.
    While this is true, I can understand where evanbell is coming from. When testing, the cost factors do add up. Think about this a bit, $400 to fly in to take the written test, then if pass, you fly in again to do the physical agility, then you have to fly in again for the BPAD. Factor in meals, hotel, ground transportation and so forth and testing can truly add up...much more than what it takes to make it for the original written test. Sure can be a lot of money to spend where you may or may not get hired.

He asked about his chances, and I don't see that as out of line and Jasper's post hints at possible move ups for those who score high on the written test, which IMO is an incentive to test. However, residents do get points and it is not out of line to gauge one's chances.

I have tested for numerous places before getting hired and applied to countless more that I never tested for because I could not afford to do so. This is the reality of the world we live in today. In a sense I could spend say $2000 to go through the entire hiring process for say Phoenix Fire, only to get placed on the list and not get hired. However, I could save that money and test for several departments close to me and improve my odds of getting hired.

Career of a lifetime or not, these decisions and choices have to be made. The question is, is it worth it financially to take the risk on a lone dept, vs several others closer to one's home?
    Last edited by jccrabby3084; 07-31-2008 at 07:24 PM.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Forum Member

At least somebody sees where I'm coming from...especially during these times of increased gas cost and air fare! It does add up...quickly, but i'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    At least somebody sees where I'm coming from...especially during these times of increased gas cost and air fare! It does add up...quickly, but i'll be there.
    I do see where you are coming from. Before I decided to chase a girl to the outside and get married and I lived in Alaska. So, I do understand the cost associated with traveling/testing. I just drank a few less beers and ate ALOT more cup-o-noodles.

My point was this. Sure your chances may be slim for MFD...but you have zero chance without testing. I "Could have", "should have" or "would have", dont have near the effect as "I did".

Ill see you there and should you desire I will buy you a drink! (after the test that is).
    "Some people train till they get it right, we will train till we can't get it wrong"

Forum Member

If anyone is from northwest Indiana (or near Fort Wayne, South Bend, Elkhart) and would be interested in car pooling or something to that affect let me know.

Forum Member

If I havn't received anything in the mail regarding testing should I call them or wait a bit? Is there anyone else yet who hasn't received a notice yet? I did apply too.

Forum Member

Does anyone have any information on the format of the test? I/O, CWH? If not, any ideas on what they test on?

Does anyone have any information on the format of the test? I/O, CWH? If not, any ideas on what they test on?
    I think it is the I/O Solutions.

Default any new news??

Any new news regarding MFD budget for 2009?

Jasper, can you contact me via email: broark@southbendin.gov
    Last edited by pedalinmedic; 08-10-2008 at 02:41 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Car Pool

I am Leaving Detroit tonight at midnight and driving to Milwaukee anyone on the way that wants to car pool Call me ASAP 313 7327377 JERRY

Quote Originally Posted by pedalinmedic View Post
    i know some guys that are testing on the 11th. but mine is also on the 12th.

by the looks of the building its not that big. So i would imagine that there will be multiple days of testing
    I called the recruit information hotline and it says there are 6 different testing sessions. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at 8:45am and 1:00pm.

Forum Member

Wow...I've never heard of that many.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

How's everyone think they did on the test so far? From my count I don't see how there is any way more than 5000 people are testing. Unless there was more than one room testing at a time.

There were 10 tables per row, 18 people per table=180 people per row, 3 rows=540 per test (MAX, the 8:45am test was only 2/3s full). There's two tests per day 1080 people test per day and there's only three test dates. Even if they crammed more people into the tests on some times that doesn't even equal 4000...
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

Default Miss-post

I miss-posted this...
    Last edited by MTGillinois; 08-13-2008 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Miss-post

Forum Member

How's everyone think they did on the test so far?
    some of the math threw me for a loop (it's been a long time since i've done math, other than adding up prices at a store), but i think i did pretty well on the rest. the psych questions at the the end were a bit confusing. maybe i missed it, but did it define stress? what one person considers stress might not be what the next person thinks is stressful. either way, i just answered honestly. oh well, i did the best i could. at least i get the extra resident points, but i'm not holding my breath. there's always next time (if i'm not too old).

Forum Member

It wasn't that bad, I've taken harder ones.
    Had about 45 mins left so I spent 10 more mins going over the math questions.
    Iíll be at the CPAT. Good luck to you guys.

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by jsin925 View Post
    some of the math threw me for a loop (it's been a long time since i've done math, other than adding up prices at a store), but i think i did pretty well on the rest. the psych questions at the the end were a bit confusing. maybe i missed it, but did it define stress? what one person considers stress might not be what the next person thinks is stressful. either way, i just answered honestly. oh well, i did the best i could. at least i get the extra resident points, but i'm not holding my breath. there's always next time (if i'm not too old).
    I think I did pretty well. The sample exam I took online for $10 had identical questions (with different numbers and slightly different situations), so it was easy seeing the same types of questions. I also messed up a couple math questions, I'm sure. Who does actual math when you have a calculator handy?

The personality test was kind of tricky. You obviously had to answer similar questions similarly. I think they're trying to weed out people who are already stressed out or feel they don't handle stress well...and those who have high anxiety over dangerous situations and the general outlook of the world. I was really stumped on the "the world is a dangerous place" questions. Yes, in fact, I do believe that the world is basically a dangerous place, and you should always "be careful," but if I answer "Agree/Strongly Agree", does that somehow not make me a good candidate for EMS/FF career?

I heard some say this was a "Pass/Fail" exam. I heard some say this is not a Pass/Fail and you are placed on the eligibility list according to your numerical score on the written exam. So, say a guy with residency preference points scored an 86 on the written exam...and they give 10 pref points for residency...does that mean his score is increased to 96? How does that work?

Any ideas?

Forum Member

I was told that out of over 10,000 people that applied, they only invited 6,000. And out of those 6,000, only 4,000 people even showed up. I guess odds keep getting better.

5800 tested.

Thread Information