Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber Japhro84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedalinmedic View Post
    5800 tested.
    Where'd u get that number (just out of curiosity)?

Did any one else find this test to be almost exactly the same as the practice test in the enhanced study guide? I even had a few questions that were exactly the same just with different numbers or different names. I feel pretty good about it. We'll see though! They say that the personality section can really make or break your total score, BIGTIME! I don't know how true that is. But, Good Luck guys!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Japhro84 View Post
    Where'd u get that number (just out of curiosity)?

Did any one else find this test to be almost exactly the same as the practice test in the enhanced study guide? I even had a few questions that were exactly the same just with different numbers or different names. I feel pretty good about it. We'll see though! They say that the personality section can really make or break your total score, BIGTIME! I don't know how true that is. But, Good Luck guys!
    i knew i should have taken the practice test. instead, i got a book from the library and studied a bunch of stuff that wasn't even on the test.

how do they score the personality section? are they looking for deception? it all seems subjective to me, and hard to really get a sense of someone's personality. some of the questions i would either agree or disagree with given the exact circumstances. like, do i usually pretend to be friendly with people when i don't want to be? what do they mean by usually? in a professional scenario or personal. i've worked retail and i was usually friendly when i didn't want to be, but on the street i'm usually going to tell you how i feel. the questions seemed vague to me.

Forum Member

The practice test was only about 15 questions long...not extremely helpful quite honestly. I bought a study guide...about 300 pages long and there were more questions directly from that book than I had expected. At least 15 questions from this written were pulled directly out of my study guide.
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber pedalinmedic's Avatar

I got that number (5800) from two different MFD employees. One was the Lt. with the bullhorn on day 2 of testing and another was a Lt. at 13 Engine.
    "Some people train till they get it right, we will train till we can't get it wrong"

Is gaire cabhair de na an doras

Virtete et Valare Luceo Non Uro

Forum Member

5800 people took the test....Ive also heard that only 300-500 people will be moving on to take the CPAT!!!...Remember guys...extra points dont mean anything until the very END of the process with everything combined, so as long as you do your best on everything else you could very well beat out the people who do have extra points!!!

Forum Member

I've also heard that they will only be moving 300 people past the written exam.

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    The practice test was only about 15 questions long...not extremely helpful quite honestly. I bought a study guide...about 300 pages long and there were more questions directly from that book than I had expected. At least 15 questions from this written were pulled directly out of my study guide.
    The one that came with the Enhanced study guide had 100 very similar questions on it. VERY HELPFUL!

Quote Originally Posted by jsin925 View Post
    i knew i should have taken the practice test. instead, i got a book from the library and studied a bunch of stuff that wasn't even on the test.

how do they score the personality section? are they looking for deception? it all seems subjective to me, and hard to really get a sense of someone's personality. some of the questions i would either agree or disagree with given the exact circumstances. like, do i usually pretend to be friendly with people when i don't want to be? what do they mean by usually? in a professional scenario or personal. i've worked retail and i was usually friendly when i didn't want to be, but on the street i'm usually going to tell you how i feel. the questions seemed vague to me.
    I am not too sure about how they exactly score it. I have heard that each department can "tweak" that section to there own liking. I just made sure that I was honest and that my answers to certain questions were the same as the ones that were "worded" differently.

I know what you mean. The wording on a lot of those is how they try and trick you! I have never taken this test for a department. I bought the Don McNea package with the psychological prep guide and I believe it helped to open my eyes a little more.

Forum Member

Default anyone know

When the CPAT is?

Forum Member

Japhro84:
    this is off topic, but what's up with that pic?

Forum Member

Do any of you who sat for the Milwaukee exam have an Associates or Bachelor's degree in Fire Science/Tech?

I have a Bachelors degree, but not in Fire.

PS-Expect a letter in the mail with your result by 9/5.

Japhro84:
    this is off topic, but what's up with that pic?
    It's a pic someone sent me a while ago as a joke.. I don't think I would be passing a CPAT at that size if that was me... HAHA!

Forum Member

Tango, I was wondering the same thing. I have a four year degree from a State University but not in Fire Science. I was wondering if they still give bonus points for that too...
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    Tango, I was wondering the same thing. I have a four year degree from a State University but not in Fire Science. I was wondering if they still give bonus points for that too...
    i believe the bonus points are only for a degree in fire science. i hope i'm wrong, because i have a degree too in something else, but i believe it only counts towards an associate or bachelors in fire science.

Forum Member

i believe the bonus points are only for a degree in fire science. i hope i'm wrong, because i have a degree too in something else, but i believe it only counts towards an associate or bachelors in fire science.
    The education pref points are given only to those with an AA or BS in Fire Science. I was just wondering if most of you guys had Fire degrees...doesn't sound like it! Glad I'm not the only one.

Forum Member

anybody have any idea when the letters will be sent out?

Forum Member

Letters will be sent on 9/5/08
    Waiting game...

Forum Member

I think I did pretty well. The sample exam I took online for $10 had identical questions (with different numbers and slightly different situations), so it was easy seeing the same types of questions. I also messed up a couple math questions, I'm sure. Who does actual math when you have a calculator handy?

The personality test was kind of tricky. You obviously had to answer similar questions similarly. I think they're trying to weed out people who are already stressed out or feel they don't handle stress well...and those who have high anxiety over dangerous situations and the general outlook of the world. I was really stumped on the "the world is a dangerous place" questions. Yes, in fact, I do believe that the world is basically a dangerous place, and you should always "be careful," but if I answer "Agree/Strongly Agree", does that somehow not make me a good candidate for EMS/FF career?

I heard some say this was a "Pass/Fail" exam. I heard some say this is not a Pass/Fail and you are placed on the eligibility list according to your numerical score on the written exam. So, say a guy with residency preference points scored an 86 on the written exam...and they give 10 pref points for residency...does that mean his score is increased to 96? How does that work?

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
    I heard some say this was a "Pass/Fail" exam. I heard some say this is not a Pass/Fail and you are placed on the eligibility list according to your numerical score on the written exam. So, say a guy with residency preference points scored an 86 on the written exam...and they give 10 pref points for residency...does that mean his score is increased to 96? How does that work?

No. The preference points, be they residency, veterans, or education are added on to the final score at the end of the process, following the physical agility, written and interview. So in the end, if your cumulative score is 94, and have residency points, your final score would be 99.
    Three points are added for an AAS, five points for a BS, five points for residency, and ten points for veterans. The most points you may accumulate are ten.

The written is not pass/fail. What a person scores on the written will be the sole decider on whether they advance in the process. The word is that the top 300 written scores will be moved on in the process.
    The CPAT will be pass/fail, however.

Hope that made some sense.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    No. The preference points, be they residency, veterans, or education are added on to the final score at the end of the process, following the physical agility, written and interview. So in the end, if your cumulative score is 94, and have residency points, your final score would be 99.
    Three points are added for an AAS, five points for a BS, five points for residency, and ten points for veterans. The most points you may accumulate are ten.

The written is not pass/fail. What a person scores on the written will be the sole decider on whether they advance in the process. The word is that the top 300 written scores will be moved on in the process.
    The CPAT will be pass/fail, however.

Hope that made some sense.
    It did make sense. Thanks for sharing the info re the pref points. They're only taking 5% of the people who tested. What a cut that is! I wish I would've MASTERED the written; I don't qualify for any preference points if I make it that far. Then again, I may have scored way better than someone with 10 pref points up their sleeve going in. Knowing I missed at least a few of the cognitive questions bothers me now. Oh well...we'll wait and see I suppose.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here's just a thought on the Milwaukee process; The last list was good for almost 5 years. Im not sure how many classes they took on in those five years but if they did one a year with about 30 or 35 people,that would be in the area of 150 new hires. If you get past the written and past the cpat and make it on the list, even if your not in the first class you'll probably be hired on a year or two later. With that said good luck everyone.

Thread Information