Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 First 1234567 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Tango... 1 guy got an email. The other I didn't talk to. I just heard from another firefighter while we were at a fire yesterday about it.

Evan... I agree about DC. I hope we get those this week.

Forum Member

don't get me wrong...i'd love a job in dc but if i were in the running for both milwaukee and dc and offered a job both places i'd take milwaukee in a heartbeat. cost of living on average is 75% less in milwaukee than what it is here in dc...
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

Default Fpc

To be honest, I mailed the FPC and they mailed me back. I didn't get my hard mailer yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    don't get me wrong...i'd love a job in dc but if i were in the running for both milwaukee and dc and offered a job both places i'd take milwaukee in a heartbeat. cost of living on average is 75% less in milwaukee than what it is here in dc...
    Yea I agree that's a huge factor. A very nice one bedroom in downtown Milwaukee is well under 1k/month. DC it seems to be well over 1k just for a studio in maybe a not so good place. However, you do get paid more in DC and you don't have to live in the city like you do with Milwaukee.

I also like the higher call volume in DC, as well as the more exciting city. However, as I get older, I may not that higher call volume. Also, if you get stationed in certain areas of Milwaukee, you can be just as busy. I also have most of my family in the Milwaukee area, and I would never have to ride the ambulance.

In my opinion, they are both outstanding fire departments. They both have their pros and cons. I'd just have to find out what's right for me. However, that's only if I was offered both jobs. I'm still a long way from that.

the 4-1-4

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    jasper... do you know when the deadline would be to get extra points? I'll have my AS in Fire Protection Technician after this semester ends in December. Not sure if I would be able to use that. Also, do you know how long you have to be a resident of Milwaukee for?
    Clarke, I don't know any dates or other factual information. Call the fire and police commission and ask them when the cut off will be for your points.
    When I went thru the process, they established a cutoff date to be eligible.
    Typically they will allow a date that is close to the semester end, so students who are soon to graduate may use their points.

They should have a date for you, or they will establish one soon. They may not have an exact date set as of yet.

I don't believe that there is any length of time required for residency, as I think the same rule will be used to define residency as is used for us. Having your drivers license with a city address, bills with an address, or information consistent with "an established residence". Basically, it's up to the powers that be to determine if you qualify, but those are some of the items they use.

Again, give them a call and ask specifically. The last thing you want is to be fraudulent.

Also, I was talking to a teacher of mine who is an retired Battalion Chief for MFD. He stated that MFD might move to oral interviews instead of the BPAD. Any word on this lately? Thanks.
    That is a rumor that is out there, and it's a rumor I think carries some weight.

the 4-1-4

I also like the higher call volume in DC, as well as the more exciting city. However, as I get older, I may not that higher call volume. Also, if you get stationed in certain areas of Milwaukee, you can be just as busy. I also have most of my family in the Milwaukee area, and I would never have to ride the ambulance.

Clark,

We had several members of DCFD stay in my engine house for the Harly 100th five years ago, and then again over this past weekend for the 105th.
    We talked a lot and compared stories, as all firemen do. We also both bitched about our jobs, and listened to each other.

The biggest difference between here and there, is that we toss close to 50,000 calls a year to the private ambulances, and the guys from DC wished that's what they did.
    Where they use fire department ambulances and their fire companies for all 911 originated calls, we hand over a good number of them to the privates, based on our triage system.
    I'm not slamming them or saying one place is better than the other, but don't use the run volume as a sole decider.

There are advantages to DC. The nations capital is a huge draw, that environment is very cool. They are a part of FEMA's USAR program, something that we never will be here. DC will always be a major player in business, commerce, and just about everything else, Milwaukee never will.

If you choose to start a family, it will be a burden on you to raise your family in the city. The cost of living is lower here, but the tax rate is much higher. You will not be able to send your kids to public schools, unless you hate your kids, and you will be stuck living with crime.
    Crime is a significant issue here, and it is getting worse, at least for the foreseeable future.

There are very busy fire companies here, and there are very slow. We have special teams, paramedics, and promotional opportunities, just like DC.
    The pension is in fantastic shape. We have a very good plan in place that will be there when you retire, as it is at a 150% funding right now.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the reply jasper.

I completely forgot that the run total is lower because you guys don't run as many medical calls as other places since you don't have ambulances. I'm not a huge fan of EMS so this would be perfect.

The reason I ask about the residency points is that I would be willing to move to Milwaukee right now if it would work. With only about 300 people left in the process, and most likely less after the CPAT, I figure that if the list is good for 4 years again, I may have a good shot. However, I don't want to make the move if it won't help because that would mean quitting my job with a great FD in Milwaukee County that requires my to be at call backs within 20 minutes.

As fun as DC is though, I'm starting to like Milwaukee more and more. The one thing I absolutely hate is the cold weather. DC is warmer, but not by much. Then July and August hit and I hear it is terrible there. Here in Milwaukee, I think we had one of the best summers in years.

The MPS system is terrible. I definitely agree on that. I've heard the some schools like Rufus King are okay, but its still located in a pretty bad area of town. There's always private schools or the suburbs though. I went to Oak Creek and had a TON of Milwaukee kids bussed over.

Also, do they usually throw you into a busy fire house after graduation from the academy? Someone told me that it's usually like that and after 10 years, you can usually pick where you want to go. Also how do they pick whether you are on a truck or engine? I have a friend who got placed on the truck right away out of the academy.

I hope I don't sound cocky. I just want to be prepared and have as much information about the job as possible in case I am lucky enough to get an offer. Thanks again!

Forum Member

Default wow!

so i got anxious waiting for my scores and whether i've been accepted, and it seems like some have already received their acceptance emails, and/or their acceptance or rejection letters. i suppose, from the looks of it, that if i didnt receive an acceptance through email, i should be expecting a rejection letter....but why are they taking so freakin' long to just let me know i didn't make it? seriously, i cannot be the last to know, right? does anyone know of another way to find out faster if you've made the cut, e.g., is there someone to call with this type of question?

Forum Member

where did my post go? btw, in case it's not posted: is there another way, a quicker way, of finding out if i've been accepted or rejected? i didn't receive an email, so i guess i'm rejected, but why are they taking so long? surely they don't want me to be the last to know, right?

MembersZone Subscriber

i haven't recieved anything either.

MembersZone Subscriber

I called about residency in case anyone else is wondering. You needed to be there by the application deadline. As far as education, they do not know yet, but the told me December will most likely be too late.

I asked when interviews were planned because I do not have to take the CPAT. They said sometime in November. So this thing is moving pretty quick for a big city. CPAT and interviews all in one month.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cream7City View Post
    so i got anxious waiting for my scores and whether i've been accepted, and it seems like some have already received their acceptance emails, and/or their acceptance or rejection letters. i suppose, from the looks of it, that if i didnt receive an acceptance through email, i should be expecting a rejection letter....but why are they taking so freakin' long to just let me know i didn't make it? seriously, i cannot be the last to know, right? does anyone know of another way to find out faster if you've made the cut, e.g., is there someone to call with this type of question?
    I'm in the same boat as you...dreading the trip to my mailbox everyday. No email = probably not moving forward. I know this is an assumption, but one I'm willing to take at this point. They indicate on their voicemail that all candidates would be notified by mail on or before 9/5 so they still have a day or two.

Another poster in this thread yesterday said he/she contacted the FPC directly (before receiving a hard copy) to find out if they are moving forward and the FPC already knew and told them they weren't moving on.

I'm stymied how I didn't "pass" the test or "make the cut." It makes me feel really, really, ignorant. I won't get into my education here, but unless a lot of the situational questions were "trickier" than I thought and I rushed to what I thought was the correct answer, and/or I really bombed the personality section, I can't help to wonder if there are other demographical factors that are playing a role in their selection process. Perhaps there is a reason they're not releasing numerical scores to either those passing or failing.

Forum Member

Whoa guy calm down. Do you really think that your chances are that good, why dont you try picking some numbers for the lottery. You have about the same odds. Did you not realize that "everyone" wants to work for a big city like Milwaukee, and that thousands of people were gonna apply thinking that they were the "best" for the position. Granted I wish the best of luck for you within the next two days of getting an acceptance letter, but come to reality you have a better chance of applying at smaller departments, that have only maybe 1000 people apply, and getting depressed cuz you didnt get accepted to the next phase. But remember Milwaukee had 5900 people apply and they are only moving 300 on. So lets say you had to have a passing score of 80% to even be eligible to move on....I gurantee more than 2000 people if not even more were "eligible" but its still a lottery, dont get so down on yourself. Keep your head up and stay positive!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by EgressOne View Post
    Whoa guy calm down. Do you really think that your chances are that good, why dont you try picking some numbers for the lottery. You have about the same odds. Did you not realize that "everyone" wants to work for a big city like Milwaukee, and that thousands of people were gonna apply thinking that they were the "best" for the position. Granted I wish the best of luck for you within the next two days of getting an acceptance letter, but come to reality you have a better chance of applying at smaller departments, that have only maybe 1000 people apply, and getting depressed cuz you didnt get accepted to the next phase. But remember Milwaukee had 5900 people apply and they are only moving 300 on. So lets say you had to have a passing score of 80% to even be eligible to move on....I gurantee more than 2000 people if not even more were "eligible" but its still a lottery, dont get so down on yourself. Keep your head up and stay positive!!!!!
    haha. I'm not that depressed about it! I knew going in it was a long-shot. I just thought I aced the thing.

Forum Member

i felt i aced the thing too! and i'm not being sarcastic here. that coupled with the fact that, with the exception of preference points for having an associated or bachelors degree in fire science, i fell into every other category that received preference points. i had a source that said they were openly recruiting a very specific demographic this time around, and the last i heared there were only three of us interested in becoming a ff for milwaukee. in terms of preference points and test scores on the written section, i would like to believe i rank quite high. qualifications-wise, i'm sure there are others way, way more qualified. i'm expecting a rejection letter anyway. congrats on those moving on.

the 4-1-4

Also, do they usually throw you into a busy fire house after graduation from the academy? Someone told me that it's usually like that and after 10 years, you can usually pick where you want to go. Also how do they pick whether you are on a truck or engine? I have a friend who got placed on the truck right away out of the academy.

There is no real formula for where they put people right out of recruit school. They do try to keep the cubs in busier houses, but it also is dependent on where the vacancies are and how many are graduating the school.
    I've been told by some bosses who have taught at the school, that they try to fit the needs of the department. Some stronger guys, with a great work ethic have been sent to slower spots available at the time, mostly due to their being able to work and stay busy on their own. Others get placed because of the boss on the shift where they're going; some cubs need more supervision that others do, some need less. Sometimes, guys who are already EMT's, with experience will be placed in busier engines, because they have more of a clue with EMS.

For the rest of the department, companies and shift are picked by seniority, and is covered by our CBA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks jasper. Have you guys always put the applicants through EMT BEFORE the background check, physical and psych? I'm already a certified EMT for WI so I'm guessing I wouldn't have to take the class if I made it that far. It would just suck to have to wait 10 weeks while people go through the EMT class before you find out if you are going to get the job or not.

Forum Member

Smile

[QUOTE=Cream7City;985271] and the last i heared there were only three of us interested in becoming a ff for milwaukee. QUOTE]

Now you've really peaked my curiousity. What demographic would that be?

the 4-1-4

Have you guys always put the applicants through EMT BEFORE the background check, physical and psych?

No. This is the first time they have done anything like this. Being an EMT has been a condition of employment since 1986. Since then, the course has been included as a part of recruit training, which in turn extended the length of the school.
    The goal now was to require people to have that part done on their own, so that it could be removed from the academy, thus shortening the length of the school, thereby reducing the cost of running a class.

This is all new ground for the city and department, so you'll have to tell us how badly they screw it up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45 View Post
    No. This is the first time they have done anything like this. Being an EMT has been a condition of employment since 1986. Since then, the course has been included as a part of recruit training, which in turn extended the length of the school.
    The goal now was to require people to have that part done on their own, so that it could be removed from the academy, thus shortening the length of the school, thereby reducing the cost of running a class.

This is all new ground for the city and department, so you'll have to tell us how badly they screw it up.
    Haha will do. It sounds okay since it would make the academy faster, but I don't think they are putting it in at the right point. They will put people through 10 weeks of EMT and then the people may fail the background or medical. Would make more sense to be before the hire date. Or maybe after the academy. If it was after the academy, those with EMT already completed can start their shifts.

Forum Member

Default Tests

For those of you who may be wondering... If you feel like you did well on the test, let me just say, as far as the NFSI goes the "Personality Profile" can be a VERY large decider in who moves on and who doesn't. I've talked to people who have taken this test before (not the Milwaukee Test, the NFSI) and they have said that it isn't uncommon for someone who misses 1 question on the whole test to get a 77%. So... if there are 105 questions and you answer 1 wrong you're looking at a 99% on the cognitive portion and then you end up 'losing' 22% worth of points on the personality profile. The needs of this test can be changed depending on the department according to the man who makes the test. You won't get any hard and fast numbers, because the test itself is being kept a secret by the I/O solutions people (they own the test format), but it's basically a way to weed out candidates to streamline testing. Don't feel bad... I was one of them. Just move to your next big city dept and keep testing.

Keep working hard and good luck to all involved.

Forum Member

so the mailman has come and gone for the day, and today being the fifth, i realize i won't learn of my status with the milwaukee fire dept today. anyone have a number i can call to find out my application status? you folks are correct that they intend to notify everyone by the fifth, right?

Forum Member

Smile percentages

Does anyone know the numbers, like how many applied, how many took the test, how many are advancing to the CPAT, how many to the interview portion? Just curios. And when do the bonus points (vet, degree, local) get applied? After the test or after the interview? Thanks!

"America was not built on fear. America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand" Harry S. Truman, Thirty Third President, United States of America

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cream7City View Post
    so the mailman has come and gone for the day, and today being the fifth, i realize i won't learn of my status with the milwaukee fire dept today. anyone have a number i can call to find out my application status? you folks are correct that they intend to notify everyone by the fifth, right?
    414-286-FIRE

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
    414-286-FIRE
    I called Friday and the woman was pretty short and rude with me but she said that all letters were to be MAILED by the 5th...
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 11 First 1234567 ... Last

Thread Information