Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Just out of curiosity I was wondering if anyone knew in regards to the preference points what constitutes be able to earn veterans preference point? Is there a certain amount of time that is needed to have been served on a paid department in order to earn them?

Forum Member

Veterans points are for military vets...not paid department vets
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

Results are out, they started emailing folks! Good luck everyone!

MembersZone Subscriber

Results are out! They emailed them to me. I'm moving on to the CPAT. Gives practice dates, but no actual test time or date. Says it will be in early November. Also if you have a CPAT after 2/4/08, you can use that.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Results are out! They emailed them to me. I'm moving on to the CPAT. Gives practice dates, but no actual test time or date. Says it will be in early November. Also if you have a CPAT after 2/4/08, you can use that.
    Congrats.
    I guess I've already been 'weeded out'. Didn't get an email from them. I assume they'll be notifying those not moving on via snail mail.
    Last edited by TangoTango; 08-29-2008 at 08:51 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
    Congrats.
    I guess I've already been 'weeded out'. Didn't get an email from them. I assume they'll be notifying those not moving on via snail mail.
    Did you even include an email though? I don't think it was required. I'm sure everyone is going to get a letter via snail mail. Then those that gave an email just get to find out quicker. Remember there's also 5700 people that they need to get a hold of. My last name starts with "C" which could also be why I got mine earlier.

Forum Member

Default Cpat

Congrats.
    I didn't get an e-mail yet either (As I'm sure there are, obviously, many of us who didn't). I can't remember if I included my e-mail or not, so I'll be watching the mail very carefully for my letter. Hopefully it's the good one.

Forum Member

Same here...can't remember if I put an email down or not. Has anyone else gotten an email yet? There has to be someone else on here that's gotten one I'd think. I've never heard of sending email results...that's a different way to do it. Not sure why more departments wouldn't use it.

When and where did you write your email address?
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

I think we may have put it down during the written? Or maybe it was on the app? Not sure. I've gotten results from Orange County, CA like this before, but they ONLY sent things out by email so it was different. I haven't talked to anyone yet that has gotten an email besides myself. Don't get discouraged though. They should be sending letters to everyone anyway regardless. So it may just take awhile.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just got my hard copy by US mail today. Same thing as my email though.

Forum Member

Has anyone else gotten a letter yet?
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

Default Fpc

I got my "You didn't make it" letter.

Good luck guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Did that letter come just today or the day before? When I got mine last week I only found two others that got one and they both passed as well. Sorry to hear that your not moving on though.

Anyone else move on? I'm mailing in my CPAT tomorrow. So if that goes fine then I've got awhile before anything happens. I'm guessing interviews will be Dec/Jan.

jasper... do you know when the deadline would be to get extra points? I'll have my AS in Fire Protection Technician after this semester ends in December. Not sure if I would be able to use that. Also, do you know how long you have to be a resident of Milwaukee for? I'll probably just give them a call, btu figured that I would ask here first.

Also, I was talking to a teacher of mine who is an retired Battalion Chief for MFD. He stated that MFD might move to oral interviews instead of the BPAD. Any word on this lately? Thanks.
    Last edited by clark918; 09-03-2008 at 11:47 AM.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=clark918;984792]Did that letter come just today or the day before? When I got mine last week I only found two others that got one and they both passed as well. Sorry to hear that your not moving on though.

Anyone else move on? I'm mailing in my CPAT tomorrow. So if that goes fine then I've got awhile before anything happens. I'm guessing interviews will be Dec/Jan.

QUOTE]

Of the other 2 ppl that passed with you, did they also get an email stating that? I haven't gotten an email yet. I'm sure I would've listed it. I'm expecting the 'not moving on' letter in my mailbox today. Damn.

The job announcement stated that education/resident preference points only counted if you had the degree or were a bona fide resident as of the application deadline, which was 8/1, I believe.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=TangoTango;984802]
    Did that letter come just today or the day before? When I got mine last week I only found two others that got one and they both passed as well. Sorry to hear that your not moving on though.

QUOTE]

Of the other 2 ppl that passed with you, did they also get an email stating that? I haven't gotten an email yet. I'm sure I would've listed it. I'm expecting the 'not moving on' letter in my mailbox today. Damn.

The job announcement stated that education/resident preference points only counted if you had the degree or were a bona fide resident as of the application deadline, which was 8/1, I believe.
    Same here...expecting the not moving on letter sometime today or tomorrow...I wish they'd at least list your ranking position so I'd have an idea how I did with DCFD
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

MembersZone Subscriber

Tango... 1 guy got an email. The other I didn't talk to. I just heard from another firefighter while we were at a fire yesterday about it.

Evan... I agree about DC. I hope we get those this week.

Forum Member

don't get me wrong...i'd love a job in dc but if i were in the running for both milwaukee and dc and offered a job both places i'd take milwaukee in a heartbeat. cost of living on average is 75% less in milwaukee than what it is here in dc...
    Evan
    Firefighter/NREMT-B

Forum Member

Default Fpc

To be honest, I mailed the FPC and they mailed me back. I didn't get my hard mailer yet.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    don't get me wrong...i'd love a job in dc but if i were in the running for both milwaukee and dc and offered a job both places i'd take milwaukee in a heartbeat. cost of living on average is 75% less in milwaukee than what it is here in dc...
    Yea I agree that's a huge factor. A very nice one bedroom in downtown Milwaukee is well under 1k/month. DC it seems to be well over 1k just for a studio in maybe a not so good place. However, you do get paid more in DC and you don't have to live in the city like you do with Milwaukee.

I also like the higher call volume in DC, as well as the more exciting city. However, as I get older, I may not that higher call volume. Also, if you get stationed in certain areas of Milwaukee, you can be just as busy. I also have most of my family in the Milwaukee area, and I would never have to ride the ambulance.

In my opinion, they are both outstanding fire departments. They both have their pros and cons. I'd just have to find out what's right for me. However, that's only if I was offered both jobs. I'm still a long way from that.

jasper... do you know when the deadline would be to get extra points? I'll have my AS in Fire Protection Technician after this semester ends in December. Not sure if I would be able to use that. Also, do you know how long you have to be a resident of Milwaukee for?
    Clarke, I don't know any dates or other factual information. Call the fire and police commission and ask them when the cut off will be for your points.
    When I went thru the process, they established a cutoff date to be eligible.
    Typically they will allow a date that is close to the semester end, so students who are soon to graduate may use their points.

They should have a date for you, or they will establish one soon. They may not have an exact date set as of yet.

I don't believe that there is any length of time required for residency, as I think the same rule will be used to define residency as is used for us. Having your drivers license with a city address, bills with an address, or information consistent with "an established residence". Basically, it's up to the powers that be to determine if you qualify, but those are some of the items they use.

Again, give them a call and ask specifically. The last thing you want is to be fraudulent.

Also, I was talking to a teacher of mine who is an retired Battalion Chief for MFD. He stated that MFD might move to oral interviews instead of the BPAD. Any word on this lately? Thanks.
    That is a rumor that is out there, and it's a rumor I think carries some weight.

Thread Information