Closed Thread
Page 5 of 11 First ... 2345678 ... Last
    Forum Member

If we aren't selected in moving forward with the process, will we at least be notified that we have not moved on? Or if we do not hear anything back are we to just assume we weren't selected? Thanks.

Forum Member

Well guys the anticipation is prolonged even more.....According to the hotline which was just updated today....they moved the date from 9/5 to 9/12...and they say that if you havent recieved a letter by 9/15 to call and leave a message. I am assuming that means everyone SHOULD get a letter, be it an acceptance or decline. That just makes 4 more days of a nerve wrecking wait...Good Luck to all...and remember if you havent recieved it by the 15th call 1-414-286-FIRE and leave a message at the end of the recording!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

That's a long time to be sending out letters. I don't see why it's taking them three weeks between the first and last letters. Has anyone else but me gotten theirs yet?

jasper... I was talking to a guy from Engine 12 today in class. He told me that you guys are trying to get two Heavy Rescues sometime soon. Sounds pretty cool. Are there currently any other special teams besides Dive and HazMat?(USAR or Swiftwater?)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default moving on...

well i recieved my letter...2 weeks ago. Looks like my wife mixed it up with some junk mail. i passed but it looks like things are going to improve here budgetwise,...which means no layoffs! yea! and since i am happy where i am, too old to do another rookie school I will most likely not continue on with the process.

Good luck to you all.
    "Some people train till they get it right, we will train till we can't get it wrong"

Is gaire cabhair de na an doras

Virtete et Valare Luceo Non Uro

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pedalinmedic View Post
    well i recieved my letter...2 weeks ago. Looks like my wife mixed it up with some junk mail. i passed but it looks like things are going to improve here budgetwise,...which means no layoffs! yea! and since i am happy where i am, too old to do another rookie school I will most likely not continue on with the process.

Good luck to you all.
    Congrats on passing. Another case of a passing candidate receiving an early notification...strengthens my hypothesis.

Forum Member

there should be absolutely no reason why we all were not notified in a timely manner: how hard is it to tell people you're either accepted or rejected based on your exam scores? my guess why they're taking so long is that some of us, or rather the majority of us who've not heard back yet, are fringe applicants; we probably scored well enough to warrant consideration, but they're sifting through the hundreds, if not thousands, to see who would add the most to the department, in terms of intangibles.

seems credible right? otherwise, seriously, how hard would it be to inject our names into the computer and print out a few hundred more rejection letters?

Forum Member

What hypothesis is this.....?? Do you understand that the FPC had to first send all the tests (all 5900 of them) back to the testing agency, then the testing agency had to correct them all, granted it was scantron, whenever they chose to get around to it, then the testing agency had to send it back to Milwaukee FPC, then FPC had to randomally, who knows how, choose which tests they wanted to keep. (300 out of 5900). Then FPC has to send letters both acceptance and decline to the post office, then the post office had to sort and then mail out. Well all know the post office aint the quickest, it takes awhile. Demographically speaking yes, some will get theirs quicker than others but I dont think someone who moves on or doesnt move on will get their letter quicker or longer than another testee.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am waiting patiently for my letter. I am assuming it is bad news given the odds and I took an NSFI test once before for Erie and failed. I am kind of surprised I didn't get an e mail as they obviously have my e mail since my application was online.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by EgressOne View Post
    What hypothesis is this.....?? Do you understand that the FPC had to first send all the tests (all 5900 of them) back to the testing agency, then the testing agency had to correct them all, granted it was scantron, whenever they chose to get around to it, then the testing agency had to send it back to Milwaukee FPC, then FPC had to randomally, who knows how, choose which tests they wanted to keep. (300 out of 5900). Then FPC has to send letters both acceptance and decline to the post office, then the post office had to sort and then mail out. Well all know the post office aint the quickest, it takes awhile. Demographically speaking yes, some will get theirs quicker than others but I dont think someone who moves on or doesnt move on will get their letter quicker or longer than another testee.
    Well wait a second there, professor...IO solutions was on site so the FPC didn't have to send them anywhere.

Here's my hypothesis: I/O Solutions was asked by the FPC to notify those with passing criteria via e-mail asap so they have more time to prep for the CPAT. All of the criteria defined for "passing" candidates was done WAY before you or I sat for the exam. Nothing was sent back to the FPC for them to decide who they want to keep. That's why they contract with I/O Solutions...to avoid the overhead of facilitating such an exam.

To those of you that received "passing" e-mails...who sent the e-mail? MKE FPC or IO SOLUTIONS? I highly doubt someone is sitting there manually e-mailing all those who passed--from either place. Same for someone sitting there and licking 5900 envelopes at the FPC. At least I hope not--that's what computers are for.

MembersZone Subscriber

My letter was from the FPC. However, if I had to guess, I would say that everyone that passed has already received their letter. There are a few reasons for this:

1. Everyone that I know that received a letter passed. No one got a failing notice yet.

2. I've never seen a FD take this long sending out passing letters.

3. They've already had the first CPAT orientation last Saturday. I don't think they would have it before people are notified about it.

Default moving on

Ihave heard from a reliable source that 350 people have been selected to move on. Some people have been notified but I am not sure if everybody has. There is also no special demographics in the selections. There are only 24 females moving on and 18 blacks moving on.

So you should keep the faith until you get a letter.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chosenone414 View Post
    Ihave heard from a reliable source that 350 people have been selected to move on. Some people have been notified but I am not sure if everybody has. There is also no special demographics in the selections. There are only 24 females moving on and 18 blacks moving on.

So you should keep the faith until you get a letter.
    Got my letter today. As expected, I'm not moving along. Although I passed the exam and was ranked at 438/3889, they're only moving the top 350 along now.

"While you passed the exam, your score wasn't high enough to be included in the first group of 350 moving forward...You will be notified if you are reached [sic] for further testing..."

I wonder if they'll find their 50 firefighters from those 350...?

Close, but no cigar!
    Good luck to the rest of you.
    Last edited by TangoTango; 09-10-2008 at 09:07 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I got another letter today. Similar to Tangos. So I'm guessing that the passing letters were sent out before since the letters now are different.(and because they already had CPAT practices) I'm currently ranked 48. So hopefully everything goes good with the interview in November. I've been working my *** off. Graduating with my AA in Fire Protection Technician in Dec, have a ton of certs, work at two Milw County FDs, and TA at the MATC fire academy. However, none of that really matters to MFD. I'm super excited though right now.

I talked to a friend that went to the CPAT practice last Saturday. Only 50 showed up which is surprising. He said by the end of the session only 20 were left. When they did full practice run-throughs, only 12 passed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    I've been working my *** off. Graduating with my AA in Fire Protection Technician in Dec, have a ton of certs, work at two Milw County FDs, and TA at the MATC fire academy.
    Just curious, what all certs have you gotten?
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

MembersZone Subscriber

FFI, FFII, EMT-B, HazMat-Tech, and Fire Inspector I are the bigger ones.

Forum Member

FFI, FFII, EMT-B, HazMat-Tech, and Fire Inspector I are the bigger ones.
    Did your degree include classes that specifically prepared you for HazMat-Tech and Fire Inspector I? I'm taking an inspector class now. Was the practical or written tough to pass for that cert?
    Until you've been on a Harley-Davidson, you haven't been on a motorcycle

MembersZone Subscriber

I haven't even gotten my letter yet. I know I didn't move on obviously at this point. If what that letter the previous gentleman says is correct then only three thousand and some folks took the test? Is it 5900 as said earlier? I am confused.

Forum Member

Didnt pass.....and yes there were I/O Solution reps present...but they still have to send them out....no they did not already have a "clue" who they were hiring....3xxx some people out of the 5900 people passed the test....and only the top....not by random...350 people are moving on at this point....clark arent you still awaiting ur results from DC or no???

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you for clearing that up EgressOne.

MembersZone Subscriber

SCSmith... now with the new program, all of those certs are included. I was in the middle of it when they changed it all so it was kind of weird for me.

I took Fire Inspector last spring so it was the very first one with a state written and practical exam. The class was very easy, but I struggled on the state written. I passed, but barely. The practical was a mess. It was a piolet program so I don't think they failed anyone. I failed one station, but passed the second time. I actually failed the second time at first, but then after going over it with the examiner, he realized that his answer key was wrong and I was right. It should be a little better organized this year.

EgressOne... Yes, still waiting on DC. Hopefully in the next week or two I will hear something.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TangoTango View Post
    "While you passed the exam, your score wasn't high enough to be included in the first group of 350 moving forward...You will be notified if you are reached [sic] for further testing..."
    i received the same letter, but i ranked at 513. is this implying that there will be a second round, and if so, will it be the next 350 people (at least the next 200 or 163)? is it common not to find 50 eligible people out of 350? sucks not to make the first cut, but congrats to all who made it.

i wonder how much the personality test played on the scoring, and how accurate it is? nonetheless, there's always next time. one guy i know who made it to the CPAT is 37 or 38, so i got a few years left in me yet.

anyone going to the combat challenge this weekend? i'll be there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jsin925 View Post
    is this implying that there will be a second round, and if so, will it be the next 350 people (at least the next 200 or 163)? is it common not to find 50 eligible people out of 350? sucks not to make the first cut, but congrats to all who made it.
    Good questions. The letter kind of makes it sound like they *might* be calling on the next XXX number of people after the first round of 350. This is the first time I've applied for a FF position, so maybe someone else out there can provide better insight. With a test as simple as this was, I really can't see how they would only want to take the top 8% or whatever and "automatically" make them the best-qualified candidates. I mean what's the difference between someone scoring a 93% vs. a 90%? 1 question on the test or a different answer to a heavily-weighted personality question?

There will be some candidates that don't pass the CPAT, do poorly on the interviews, or their situation simply changed and they no longer want to apply. I'm just glad they provided information regarding to rank and gave a test score. I don't feel "as bad" about not moving on right now.

The more I thought about it, it would be a really ballsy move for me to quit my current job in which I make much more than the starting MFD salary to take the 10 week EMT course only to not move on--for whatever reason--after that.

I'm sure there are at least a few other people in that situation too.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sure there could be more chosen to take the CPAT in the future. However, they can't make that call yet. the 350 could be good enough for 3 classes, or it could be good enough for one. There's no way to predict it. Maybe 50 firefighters retire at the end of this year or maybe 10 do.

Read what I wrote about the first CPAT practice session a few posts ago. 12 of 50 that showed passed their first practice run. Only about 20 stayed throughout the whole thing. That's pretty bad. Also, the academy is WAY harder than the CPAT.

Tango... With the EMT class being 10 weeks, you may not have to quit your job. It might be at night since I'm sure that a daytime class for most would be pretty tough. It would probably be about 14-16 hours per week since its 10 weeks long.

I got a 90% and ranked 354!! Just missed it!

Forum Member

I'm sure there could be more chosen to take the CPAT in the future. However, they can't make that call yet. the 350 could be good enough for 3 classes, or it could be good enough for one. There's no way to predict it. Maybe 50 firefighters retire at the end of this year or maybe 10 do.

Read what I wrote about the first CPAT practice session a few posts ago. 12 of 50 that showed passed their first practice run. Only about 20 stayed throughout the whole thing. That's pretty bad. Also, the academy is WAY harder than the CPAT.
    not to be pessimistic, but i hope the first CPAT practice session is a sign of the the first 350 chosen to move on. i wish them all luck, but i want my chance at the badge too. i know some good people who didn't make the first cut. nonetheless, there are so many hoops to jump through before getting a chance at the academy, that i feel a lot of people won't make it through. at least i hope i get a chance at the academy too. such an honorable profession shouldn't be taken lightly. i mean, how many other jobs offer the perks of the fire department along with the pay? i might not make it through all of the hoops that one has to jump through, but i at least want a chance at it. if i fail then it's my fault. no one to blame but me.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 11 First ... 2345678 ... Last

Thread Information