Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber pedalinmedic's Avatar

Default Milwaukee Fire Hiring Process

I understand the Milwaukee fire department is starting a new hiring process, and I have a few questions.

What written test do they use?
    What is the interview format (chiefs board or a video taped)?
    Academy length?

And for some general questions:

Staffing levels for Engine, Truck and Rescue?
    Number of personal?
    Number of firehouses?
    "Some people train till they get it right, we will train till we can't get it wrong"

Is gaire cabhair de na an doras

Virtete et Valare Luceo Non Uro

Ok in an effort not to appear to lazy I located the following info.

The City covers 96.5 sq. mi. and a population of over 560,000.

36 fire houses housing 37 Engines , 16 Trucks, 12 medics, within 5 Battalions Approx. 800 ffs.
    "Some people train till they get it right, we will train till we can't get it wrong"

Forum Member

Default Answers

I've writtne NUMEROUS e-mails to various members of the FD itself, as well as members of the civil service board. There aren't any answers for the kinds of questions your asking in regards to the testing process, frankly because they haven't decided yet. NFSI is the test... which there is NO information about... Fly by night operations should insue.

Good thing's happening

check this out it will definitely help

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=97314

ok, so heres a question that i cannot find the answer out too... how does Milwaukee Fire do EMS?? are new recruits required to ride the medic or are the ems personel hired from a different pool??

Quote Originally Posted by pedalinmedic View Post
    ok, so heres a question that i cannot find the answer out too... how does Milwaukee Fire do EMS?? are new recruits required to ride the medic or are the ems personel hired from a different pool??

All engine and truck companies first respond, and are the primary EMS providers in the city. The city utilizes four private companies for BLS transport, and some first response. The department places about 40,000 annual calls directly to the privates.
    All ALS is handled by the department, which operates as a part of the county system. There are twelve paramedic units in the city, and on any given day twenty to twenty-five ALS engines, out of thirty-seven engine companies.
    The department runs a tiered system, ranging from just a private-only response, (lowest priority) to an engine/truck company and paramdic unit.

Paramedic is somewhat of a 'promoted' position, as there is competition for the spots, and more money.
    There are about 200 paramedics in the city, out of about 1100 uniformed.

New hires do not ride paramedic uits, and if you have your paramedic license already, that means nothing as well.
    You are required to maintain your State of Wisconsin EMT license during employment, and new hires could be mandated into the paramedic program, if there aren't enough volunteers.

according to the city website:

"The second part of the selection process consists of a ten week EMT training course provided at no cost by the Milwaukee Fire Department to the top ranked individuals on the eligible list."

is this mandatory or will you be considered exempt if you already hold a WI EMT cert.???

MembersZone Subscriber

It is up to you to believe me but recruits with EMT already will not have to attend that portion of the training... I read it somewhere on the MIL WC site

Forum Member

I just got my letter to take the test Tuesday, August 12th. My question is, should I even bother with this test? I'm from Virginia so it's going to cost me an arm and a leg to get a flight this late. I don't have veteran or resident preference and am a white male. Honest opinions? I really just don't want to spend 400 dollars on a plane ticket to place 300th or something because 150 people jump me due to living in the city.

If it were me, I would take the exam, but that also depends on how badly you want to move in order to get a job.

The information that is out there is that they are going to advance a certain number of people in the process, based entirely on your written test score. Any bonus points, i.e. education, city residency, military and so on, will only be added to a score at the very end of the process.

What this means, is that the higher your written test score, the better off you will be, at least initially. It could be that no "city" people score high enough to advance.
    Right now they're talking about advancing the 300-500 highest written scores. The number is going to vary based on cost, and total money allotted for the exam.

There are a tremendous amount of vacancies right now, even with the upcoming cuts. If a person is able to make it past the written exam, their odds of being able to earn a job will increase dramatically.

Look at it like this, if you don't take the test, you absolutely will not get hired. The written test is shaping up to be the fairest test that has been administered in some time.

Forum Member

Jasper, just out of curiosity are you on with MFD or is this just what you have heard through the grapevine? I'm not calling you out on what you are saying, just simply trying to see what your sources are.

Forum Member

nevermind, i answered my own question seeing that you are a member of local 215. that's all good to know. i guess i will see what i can manage to do regarding getting tickets there to test

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by evanbell View Post
    I just got my letter to take the test Tuesday, August 12th. My question is, should I even bother with this test? I'm from Virginia so it's going to cost me an arm and a leg to get a flight this late. I don't have veteran or resident preference and am a white male. Honest opinions? I really just don't want to spend 400 dollars on a plane ticket to place 300th or something because 150 people jump me due to living in the city.
    Looks like someone who should not be in the Fire Service, Milwaukee has no minority points, you have not tested and are playing the race card in your question. A lot of people would like to not have the competition. Why don't you accomodate them?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GWBJR1 View Post
    Looks like someone who should not be in the Fire Service, Milwaukee has no minority points, you have not tested and are playing the race card in your question. A lot of people would like to not have the competition. Why don't you accomodate them?
    I am not playing the race card at all dude. I was also not implying that MFD had minority points . I was simply trying to get some insight. Around me, if you are a white male without your EMT-I or EMT-P your chances of getting a job are slim. That doesn't keep me from testing. What I had read on the other forum which includes madison didn't sound promising about the department hiring many people so I was just asking for insight. No need to be paltry.

FACT: you cant get the job unless you test.... TAKE THE FREAKING TEST, whats 400 bucks for the career of a lifetime.

dont take this the wrong way, im not trying to be a *****, but it is what it is.

also where in va are you?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pedalinmedic View Post
    FACT: you cant get the job unless you test.... TAKE THE FREAKING TEST, whats 400 bucks for the career of a lifetime.

dont take this the wrong way, im not trying to be a *****, but it is what it is.

also where in va are you?
    good point...that's why i'm flying in the monday before the test and camping out overnight at the airport to save some money. i'm in arlington...volly in prince william

MembersZone Subscriber

jasper... I have a question. I will be graduating with my Fire Science degree in December of this year. Because you said that the points will not be added on until the end, do you think that I might be able to get them if I make it that far? I figure that by the time the final eligibility list is out, it will be 2009 since big cities move pretty slow with things because of all of the applicants.

Also, any word on if they will be taking CPAT certs? Or will they make you take it again? Or maybe even using their own PAT like in the past? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    I will be graduating with my Fire Science degree in December of this year.
    I would call the commission by phone, or go down to the office and ask in person.
    When I was hired they established a cutoff date for education points to count. The way they run around here, the list probably will not be established and presented for approval until November/December/January. However, that is just a guess on my part.

The information that I have is from sources I consider to be good and sound, but it is still "rumor" only. The commission is the only place to get true facts.
    In the past, all a candidate has had to do was ask and they would tell you whether your diploma would be be eligible.

Also, any word on if they will be taking CPAT certs? Or will they make you take it again? Or maybe even using their own PAT like in the past? Thanks.
    It's going to be CPAT, and the word is they are going to make you take the exam, regardless if you have taken it elsewhere.

Forum Member

If anyone else is flying in Monday night and wants to camp out with me at the airport and then catch the bus over early in the AM on Tuesday, then hit me up with a pm. The more the merrier!

MembersZone Subscriber

I didnt know that they announced the test day. What is the date of the test going to be.

Thread Information