Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber Eno821302's Avatar

Question Photos of your VSRs?

Eh guys / gals.

We operate a couple of Titan 8x8s with vertical exhaust. Although our system is similar in many respects to the Plymovent VSR series, it's not quite right for a number of reasons I won't get into. Suffice to say unless you back the truck up into the sweet spot there's a pretty uncomfortable crunch as the stack goes through the handrailing on the roof of the truck. It's not always this dramatic, but you get the idea.

What seems to be preventing the system from working properly is it's based on a single pin travelling latterally in 3 different places along a bearingless track of sorts. Nothing wrong with that in theory- except that the pin is "floating" dry in a channel that's only about 1/8th of an inch wider than the pin itself. Inevitably, as soon as this pin is pushed backwards even slightly, the entire system locks in place and won't traverse. Enter crunching noise here.

It would be of tremendous benefit for those of you who have similar systems to send us some good quality photos of yours. I'm having some trouble finding decent photos online- they're all small or grainy.

Our system is most like the Plymovent, but the MagnaSTACK by Nedermen is also of interest. Any VERTICAL stack setup would be nice to see. We're probably not going to be getting any substantial refitting done (money is always an issue) but I'd like to see what other ideas are out there for "improvised" systems.

I thank you in advance.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Senior Firefighter /EMT-A, A Shift
    HESD / OFD
    "To me, the charm of an encyclopedia is that it knows and I needn't."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default PlymoVent VSR photos

Attached is a photo of a vehicle from WI that has dual vertical stacks. The advantage of the Plymovent over the Magna stack system is the PV system catcher is approximatly 32" wide and if you miss the catcher, your going to be hitting your station. The PV catcher also moves 2ft in either direction from the center resting point of the vehicle. The only modification to the stack is an adapter that PV will supply with the system.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

MembersZone Subscriber Eno821302's Avatar

Thumbs up

That is exactly the system I'm looking for. I thank you for the photos and sorry if it took so long to reply. I'd about lost hope on it.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Senior Firefighter /EMT-A, A Shift
    HESD / OFD
    "To me, the charm of an encyclopedia is that it knows and I needn't."

Thread Information