Forum Member

Default Fort Worth Fire Dept

hi guys, im new here , ive been lurking for a few weeks and thought id throw my self in at the deep end with my first post.
    Im 17 and living in the UK, my mother is American so i have duel citizenship, im looking to move out to Dallas\fort worth next august. i want to join the fire dept, ill be 18 by next august, i don't have a college education, but im going to do my GED before i move so i meet the age and education minimums for the Fort Worth FD. FWFD say that applicants cant have any felony convictions or any misdemeanor convictions above class c in the last 5 years. I have no criminal history what so ever but when i was 15 a friend and I tried to grow a marijuana plant but we agreed to destroy it when i decided i wanted to join the FD. I have emailed a recruiter at the FWFD but he has told me he can only discuss a persons background in person with the applicant. i would like to know if anyone here knows if this is going to stop me from getting in, looking at the requirements i believe i will be ok to apply and test but i am worried that if i am lucky enough to get to the background investigation stage that when it comes up it will disqualify me from the application process.
    I understand that this will be a difficult question for the majority to answer but i believe there are a few members of the FWFD on the forum. any advice from you guys would be appreciated.

Forum Member

can any one help on this one?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mxell28 View Post
    hi guys, im new here , ive been lurking for a few weeks and thought id throw my self in at the deep end with my first post.
    Im 17 and living in the UK, my mother is American so i have duel citizenship, im looking to move out to Dallas\fort worth next august. i want to join the fire dept, ill be 18 by next august, i don't have a college education, but im going to do my GED before i move so i meet the age and education minimums for the Fort Worth FD. FWFD say that applicants cant have any felony convictions or any misdemeanor convictions above class c in the last 5 years. I have no criminal history what so ever but when i was 15 a friend and I tried to grow a marijuana plant but we agreed to destroy it when i decided i wanted to join the FD. I have emailed a recruiter at the FWFD but he has told me he can only discuss a persons background in person with the applicant. i would like to know if anyone here knows if this is going to stop me from getting in, looking at the requirements i believe i will be ok to apply and test but i am worried that if i am lucky enough to get to the background investigation stage that when it comes up it will disqualify me from the application process.
    I understand that this will be a difficult question for the majority to answer but i believe there are a few members of the FWFD on the forum. any advice from you guys would be appreciated.
    From what you've said, I don't imagine you'll have a problem. You don't grow/sell/use any drugs do you? At 15 crimes (in this case, possession) are a juvenile offense. But you were convicted were you? Juvenile offenses don't count except sexual assault and other more severe offenses. I had some similar concerns with my background and I got hired.

Your biggest hindrance may be your age/life experience. Getting hired at 19-20 is a stretch - there's a difference in maturity even between 20 yrs and 25 yrs old. You mentioned you're going to get your GED. Is finishing high school out of the question? FWFD's hiring spree may be slowing down real soon. That should give you ample time to get some junior college, steady work history, life experience to make you more marketable when they go on a hiring binge in the future.

Forum Member

No i dont sell/grow drugs, and no i was never convicted, it was literally me and a friend tried to grow a plant for a few weeks then we destroyed it.
    I cant go to high school because i need a full time job just to pay rent and bills. ive been reading on here and now am seriously considering trying for a firefighter position with the USAF as this would allow me to get a degree as well as experience and put me in a much better postition when i get out in 4-6 years. Thanks for the reply

Forum Member

If I remember correctly, the background is concerned primarily with offenses after the age of 17. Also, document and remember EVERYTHING you do. I mean EVERYTHING. Truth and consistency are key. If you are fortunate enough to make it to the interview. Practice. Practice. Practice.

Thread Information