Default FDNY Hiring Policy/ Military Service

Good afternoon,

I'm wondering if it is possible to defer an appointment to the academy due to military enlistment. I took exam 6019 in Jan.'07 and scored a 103. Since then I have completed the CPAT, psych, medical and my references have been submitted. I think I have a great chance of being invited to the Jan. '09 academy class but am seriously considering enlisting in the military in the near future (i.e., by Aug.1). I'm 28 right now and the committment to the military is 5 years. I know this is a long (long!) shot, but would it be possible to defer appointment for the length of my military service? (I think I know the answer but I'll ask the question anyway...)
    Thanks for your time.

Forum Member

I've heard of guys having their spot held because of being in the military so I know it is possible, I am not on the job I am just trying to get on so I do not want to give you information that is not true.

I would suggest you call 718-999-FDNY and ask them. You can also hit up the following thread as there are a lot of guys in there that have some knowledge on this type of stuff: http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=97154

Hope that helps, good luck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by daxpath View Post
    Good afternoon,

I'm wondering if it is possible to defer an appointment to the academy due to military enlistment. I took exam 6019 in Jan.'07 and scored a 103. Since then I have completed the CPAT, psych, medical and my references have been submitted. I think I have a great chance of being invited to the Jan. '09 academy class but am seriously considering enlisting in the military in the near future (i.e., by Aug.1). I'm 28 right now and the committment to the military is 5 years. I know this is a long (long!) shot, but would it be possible to defer appointment for the length of my military service? (I think I know the answer but I'll ask the question anyway...)
    Thanks for your time.
    You must have deferred already because there are many guys in the current class with scores less than 103.... I am no expert on the subject but I can find this out for you on monday.
    6019 #47x

Forum Member

you can defer, but I'm not sure if you can or want to for 5 years... by then a new list will be established and I'm not sure how they would handle that... Call CID at 718-999-2209 or 718-999-1146 or 718-999-2179 and get a solid answer and get it in writing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by daxpath View Post
    Good afternoon,

Thanks for your time.
    Yes this I do believe is possible...but in lieu of asking on the forums...you should instead ask your investigator.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Default What?

Are you serious man?
    you are willing to give up a job at FDNY to enlist.. my goodness, if you really want to serve your country join the Guard or Reserve. And if you find out you didn't get on to FDNY you can switch over to active duty.. don't throw away and opportunity like that.. that's just crazy. Take it from me.. I was in the military as a fire fighter for 10 years.. and everyone of us would drop it to go work for a department like FDNY (i'm more partial to Phoenix FD... but that's just me).
    And trust me .. if you enlist at 28.. and serve till yer 33.. there ain't no way you're going to get out and start over again.. i've seen it happen too many times.. like i said before.. i'd go reserve or guard.. wait out and see if you get hired and if not switch to active duty.
    BTW.. what branch are you thinking about joining? And what are you planning on doing job wise?

Forum Member

also.. i've never heard of a 5 year enlistment.. either 2, 4, or 6

Forum Member

minimum is 5 years nowadays.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by peterbound View Post
    Are you serious man?
    you are willing to give up a job at FDNY to enlist.. my goodness, if you really want to serve your country join the Guard or Reserve. And if you find out you didn't get on to FDNY you can switch over to active duty.. don't throw away and opportunity like that.. that's just crazy. Take it from me.. I was in the military as a fire fighter for 10 years.. and everyone of us would drop it to go work for a department like FDNY (i'm more partial to Phoenix FD... but that's just me).
    And trust me .. if you enlist at 28.. and serve till yer 33.. there ain't no way you're going to get out and start over again.. i've seen it happen too many times.. like i said before.. i'd go reserve or guard.. wait out and see if you get hired and if not switch to active duty.
    BTW.. what branch are you thinking about joining? And what are you planning on doing job wise?
    I believe he is only asking to defer...the job will be waiting for him upon his return provided they made it to his list number or past it.

FTM-PTB

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/html/home/home.shtml

(C) VETERANS:
    For Veterans’ or Disabled Veterans’ Credit you must meet the following requirements:
    a. Be a resident of New York State at the time of list establishment; and
    b. Be a United States citizen or an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence; and
    c. Received or expect to receive an honorable discharge or release under honorable conditions from the Armed
    Forces of the United States. The “Armed Forces of the United States” means the Army, Navy, Marine Corps,
    Air Force and Coast Guard, including all components thereof, and the National Guard when in the service of
    the United States pursuant to call as provided by Law; and
    d. Have served or are now serving, on full-time active duty, other than active duty for training, in at least one of
    the following Time of War periods below:
    Armed Forces of the United States during:
    $ World War II (December 7, 1941 - December 31,1946); or
    $ Korean Conflict (June 27, 1950 - January 31, 1955); or
    $ Vietnam Conflict (February 28, 1961 - May 7, 1975); or
    $ Persian Gulf Conflict (August 2, 1990 - to be determined)
    OR
    You must have received the armed forces expeditionary medal,
    navy expeditionary medal, or the marine corps expeditionary
    medal for:
    $ Hostilities in Lebanon (June 1, 1983 - December 1, 1987); or
    $ Hostilities in Grenada (October 23, 1983 - November 21, 1983); or
    $ Hostilities in Panama (December 20, 1989 - January 31, 1990).

(C) VETERANS: CONTINUATION
    For Disabled Veterans’ Credit, in addition to a, b, c, and d, at the time the list is established, you must have been found to have a service connected disability incurred in a Time of War period listed on the previous page, which has been rated at least 10 percent by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (V.A.). If the V.A. has not certified the disability as permanent, it must have been rated at least 10 percent by a V.A. physician no more than one year prior to the date of filing your application or the date of establishment of the eligible list. Veterans’ or Disabled Veterans’ Credit should be requested at the time of application, but must be requested before the
    date the eligible list is established. If a candidate requests Veterans’ or Disabled Veterans’ Credit after an application for an exam has been submitted, the candidate must appear in person or write a letter indicating the candidate’s name, address, social security number, and the open-competitive or promotion exam title and number. The letter must be addressed to DCAS Examining Service Section, 1 Centre Street, 14th Floor, New York, New York 10007. Claims for
    Veterans’ or Disabled Veterans’ Credit cannot be made once the eligible list is established. All claims for Veterans’ or
    Disabled Veterans’ Credit will be investigated and you will be required to produce documentation, such as discharge
    papers, to prove that you are eligible for the credit.
    Note:
    1. You may use Veterans’ or Disabled Veterans’ Credit only once after January 1, 1951 for appointment or promotion from a City, State, or County civil service list from a jurisdiction within the State of New York.
    2. Veterans’ or Disabled Veterans’ credit will be added only to the final score of those candidates who pass all parts of the examination.
    3. The above is only a summary of necessary conditions. The complete provisions are contained in statutory and/or decisional law.
    Last edited by E40FDNYL35; 07-28-2008 at 09:45 AM.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Thanks for all of your replies, I really appreciate all of the insights provided.

Just to clear things up... FFFred is right, I am interested in deferring my position with FDNY until I return from the military. To Peterbound, I am considering enlisting as an 18X which is a minimum committment of 60 months (though I won't know the exact length until I meet with a counselor).

Again, thanks much to all who replied.

Forum Member

[QUOTE=FFFRED;972529]Yes this I do believe is possible...but in lieu of asking on the forums...you should instead ask your investigator.

FTM-PTB[/QUOT

Listen to me. Take the job first then if you really want to enlist, then go right ahead. once your on they FDNY cant say no. but that is only if you enlist as a reserve. you have a once in a life time oprotunity for the best job in the world.

Thread Information