Thread: Manpower cuts

Forum Member

Default Manpower cuts

Life is a "poo poo" sandwich and we're all taking a bite. I'd like some input as to how the reductions are affecting your response criteria. Just as an example, we dropped our rescue from 3 to 2 men. Now we're running the engine on all medical calls. Ideally, a 4 man engine would be sufficient but the P-22/24 doesn't have the storage space. Actually it barely has enough to meet NFPA 1901.

As much as it pains me, I will say that our managers are making a good faith effort to make this work safely. Bottom line, we all want to go home at the end of our shift. We all need to be thinking of doing the job with less people. tactics have to change.

We're not done with reductions yet. I'll bet my next paycheck on that. (GS-8 step 9, that's a decent check)

If the guy from Wright-Patt reads this, shoot me an e-mail. JoeMZ191@yahoo.com

Stay safe. Suck it up. And go home to your family in the morning.

Joe

Forum Member

DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT.

Is your facility following DOD 606........damn I can't remember now which one it is, 606 or in the 650's......the one mandating minimal staffing? If this has not changed, and you are IAFF, file an immediate ULP! File one every day of the week, and twice on sundays! If you are AFGE or NAGE, bend over and take it like a man, without lubrication, because thats about what you get from these two worthless unions!

We all know in the end, that Uncle's bean counters will get their way. But don't go away quietly! Document, document, document! That way if god forbid, someone does get seriously hurt in a situation that could have been prevented with minimum staffing, you can give it right back to Uncle......without the lube!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Default This is not greivable...Yet

Our brothers at Wright-Patt and some other larger bases took a huge kick in the family jewels. You are correct that DOdi 6055.6 gives manning reccomendations. NFPA 403 is far short of that. It's up to the bosses.

The union card isn't going to help us this time. It's Operational Risk Management. Their numbers are accurate. "The times they are a chaning".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMZ191 View Post
    The union card isn't going to help us this time.
    Correct. As I said, Uncle's bean counters will get what they want- lowered staffing. But by playing the union card by filing a ULP stating that the base is not following 6055.6 will get it "on the record" that your local is opposed to it, because god forbid in the future, someone gets hurt, I know I would raining all kinds of holy hellfire down upon management if it were me.

And I would file a ULP, not a grievance.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

I worked on an Air Force facility also, and a little over a yar ago, actually March 2007. My chief told the 6-7 of us will be cut by March 31st 2008. Needless to say all of us found other jobs, half stayed with federal service, the other half city. To this day I wondered if the RIF would have happened. I even heard that the Air Force has stopped the talk of the firefighter cuts. The only base that I did hear that enforced the cuts was Wright Pat, I think the number was like 18-22. Not sure. What other bases cut firefighters?

I also had heard that after the shake up of Air Force management. Sec of AF, and the 2 Generals that the proposed cuts were not going to happen.

Forum Member

i found this article, interesting.....

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/con...id=inform_artr

Forum Member

The Marine Corps bases have ALS transport now, is the AF doing that as well? Of course, they count on the ambulance for the 4th engine guy. I'm guessing you guys don't have the run volume to justify it though, unless you take over HTFD

Thread Information