Forum Member

Default Topeka, Ks New Crimson Aerial pulled from Service

Topeka, Ks had to pull their brand new Crimson Aerial from service when they discovered one of the pins at the base was cracked. Not good, this truck has only been in service since early this year. It is a 100' rear mout platform. What is real bad, is their other two aerials were out of servce at the same time. Good thing somebody found this before someone got hurt.

Wichita Fire Department Lends Help To Topeka Save Email Print

Posted: 3:44 PM Jul 23, 2008
    Last Updated: 4:18 PM Jul 23, 2008
    Reporter: WIBW Topeka
    Email Address: news@kake.com

2 comments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A | A | A The Topeka Fire Department says help is on the way to fill a gap in the city's fire protection.

Topeka Fire Marshal Greg Bailey says both of the departments primary aerial trucks and its back-up unit are out of service with mechanical problems. The units have ladders, enabling fire crews to reach heights greater than two stories. They're also able to funnel a heavier stream of water onto a burning structure.

International Association of Firefighters Local 83 President Kent Dederick says the lack of an aerial truck would pose a problem for any fires reaching above two stories.

Bailey says Topeka Fire has recruited help from Mission Township, which will make its aerial truck available for dispatch to Topeka locations. In addition, both Kansas City and Wichita have sent a truck to Topeka. Bailey says it was likely the department would accept Wichita's offer to send up a truck with two firefighters to staff it. Bailey says he expect one of the department's aerial units to be back in service by the end of the week.

Forum Member

Do we have a cause yet? Being less than a year old I find this interesting. Remember the Boomer that fell over that was new?

This is a question not speculation: I have heard they had another aerial returned in the last 18 months (besides the Wheaton truck) can anyone confirm?

Forum Member

I was at the Crimson/Spartan seminar/training thingy last year, in Aug.

To make a long story short, there is another one, that was found to have had a crack in the pin, 14 days after they recieved it. And with that, it was driven back to be fixed.

I got the info from somone I met there, and told me of the situation when we were talking about other problems of the Crimson Engines, and the problems of the electronic governor controls, and the Telma mountings.

I have his addy, and will see if they took any pics of it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post

To make a long story short, there is another one, that was found to have had a crack in the pin, 14 days after they recieved it. And with that, it was driven back to be fixed.

I got the info from somone I met there, and told me of the situation when we were talking about other problems of the Crimson Engines, and the problems of the electronic governor controls, and the Telma mountings.

Hi yes pics. would be good for me. I would like to know the pin your talking about. I looked mine over real good and it all looks good. But would still like the pics. Thanks

Forum Member

Yes i would his addy and thank you.

Forum Member

Sorry for the delay.

They did not take any pics of it at the station. He also said that they should have it back by Aug 8th.

The pin is in the same position as the original post. Crimson was not in the giving mood as to what happened, why it cracked, ect.

So if you have one, check yours weekly, if not daily.

FM1

Forum Member

Sorry for the delay.

They did not take any pics of it at the station. He also said that they should have it back by Aug 8th.

The pin is in the same position as the original post. Crimson was not in the giving mood as to what happened, why it cracked, ect.

So if you have one, check yours weekly, if not daily.

FM1
    Well all the pins and in fact my Crimson 100ft. platform is in Perfect shape so if no one can show me a real problem and just he said she said. Oh and all my trucks are checked after every call and weekly. All i read are bad things about Crimson, and all i have to say is we have a GREAT ONE .

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Check-up

What does your check-up consist of after each run and is it only done when the aerial is raised?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Crimson Fire Reply

Topeka, KS recently experienced a service issue related to a faulty component on its 100 rear-mount platform. After we learned of the situation, Crimson Fire took immediate steps to correct the problem.

Our qualified dealer representative immediately assessed the situation and communicated to our factory the issues at hand. The initial and final analysis showed a small spherical bearing fracture on the left lift cylinder where the lift cylinder attaches to the turn table.

After conferring with our customer and listening to the account of what happened, we mutually decided to leave the unit in service. Crimson then shipped parts immediately, along with a certified aerial representative, to Topeka to make the needed repairs. At no time was the unit placed out of service, although some limitations on performance were necessary for a brief period.

An initial on-site inspection confirmed that there was no damage to any other part associated with the spherical bearing. There is no evidence of pin or cylinder failure.

The damaged components have already been replaced and an inspection on the right side lift cylinder has been made. No evidence of a problem existed to the right side lift cylinder attachment point. The unit is back in full service. We believe this is an isolated incident that we have taken care of to the satisfaction of our customer.

Safety is one of our top concerns. We strive to design and build custom fire apparatus that allows firefighters to be safe, successful and effective at their profession.

Crimson Fire, Inc.

Thread Information