Thread: 29 July 1967

MembersZone Subscriber
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

DAMN!! Awesome work from the crew; not an enviable position to be in under any circumstance.

Pretty impressive damage from the 1k bombs, I would never have thought of them as blowing down so much.

Gotta wonder what caused the missile to fire in the first place though. I didnt see anything in the website to indicate cause.

Many years later (1990's) I sailed in HMCS RESTIGOUCHE and CALGARY against USS FORESTALL and BON HOMME RICHARD during joint exercises. Although I suspect that they might have been "newer" versions of those names.

Forum Member

That film was the basis for my first firefighting training in the Navy.We were told that some ABH had parked a handling truck with its exhaust too close to a missile and that caused it to launch.
    Flight deck fires are why you'll be watching "Supercarrier" and seeing the ordies haul around bombs with what looks like nonskid deck paint on them.That's exactly what it is.It gives some fire protection,at least long enough to haul the bomb to the nearest disposal chute and drop that sucker over the side where it can't hurt nobody.
    BTW,John McCain was in one of the planes and had to crawl out into the flames to escape.Hell of a way to leave the office,huh?

Thread Information