Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default Interview question...questions...

    hi
    long time reader, first time poster.

    i have a question regarding interview questions. i have been reading alot on here and it seems that alot of people are mentioning the 30 basic questions (with variations) that are usually asked by a panel. please check my answer for one i read on here...

    "you smell booze on a fellow FF's breath, how would you handle this?"

    my answer would be that i would approach the ff and ask if he had been drinking, if he gives me a response that is improper, such as 'just go away' or 'its none of your buisiness', then i would approach my senior officer and advise him that i thought i smelled something on his breath, and when i asked him about it he gave me the forementioned responses.

    my thoughts on my response are that i am not accusing the FF of drinking by going and telling my capt that he was drinking, i didnt see the bottle in is hand, but that i know drinking on the job is wrong so i said something about it. the same would go for the questions about stealing etc. i would advise my superior officer of the incident, tell him what i saw and what was said, and leave it in his hands, thus not falsly accusing anyone, but at the same time making someone aware of what seemed to be an inappropriate action.

    please let me know what you think

    mike


  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9secfirebird View Post
    hi
    long time reader, first time poster.

    i have a question regarding interview questions. i have been reading alot on here and it seems that alot of people are mentioning the 30 basic questions (with variations) that are usually asked by a panel. please check my answer for one i read on here...

    "you smell booze on a fellow FF's breath, how would you handle this?"

    my answer would be that i would approach the ff and ask if he had been drinking, if he gives me a response that is improper, such as 'just go away' or 'its none of your buisiness', then i would approach my senior officer and advise him that i thought i smelled something on his breath, and when i asked him about it he gave me the forementioned responses.

    my thoughts on my response are that i am not accusing the FF of drinking by going and telling my capt that he was drinking, i didnt see the bottle in is hand, but that i know drinking on the job is wrong so i said something about it. the same would go for the questions about stealing etc. i would advise my superior officer of the incident, tell him what i saw and what was said, and leave it in his hands, thus not falsly accusing anyone, but at the same time making someone aware of what seemed to be an inappropriate action.

    please let me know what you think

    mike
    I got a variation on this question during an interview for my last EMS job. The question involved my partner and knowing that he was drunk.

    My answer was that I pulled my partner aside, told him he was drunk and that he had one opportunity to bang out sick and slide out the side door. I would even take him home. If he refused, I was going to go straight to the boss and let him know what was going on. I certainly am not going to put my cert, his cert. and possibly my job on the line because he was drunk.

    Chief told me later that was exactly the answer they were looking for. What they were not looking for is someone who would knowingly work with a drunk partner to protect him. They also were not looking for someone who would run right to the Chief.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default

    interesting answer, would my response be considered 'running right to the chief' so to speak? as a firefighter, is it my job to tell him to call in sick and go home? or should i let my Lt or Capt do that?

    i feel my answer shows that i am not ok with him working, just not sure if its my place to take care of him or not.

    thanks so much

    mike

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9secfirebird View Post
    interesting answer, would my response be considered 'running right to the chief' so to speak? as a firefighter, is it my job to tell him to call in sick and go home? or should i let my Lt or Capt do that?

    i feel my answer shows that i am not ok with him working, just not sure if its my place to take care of him or not.

    thanks so much

    mike
    It's your place to take care of him. Unless he tells you that he doesn't want to be taken care of. Then you have to do what you have to do.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default

    so its better to pull him asside and try to tell him to go home or get help, and if he refuses, to take it to the next step? what about stealing? like if you find someone taking something out of another ff bag, like money or jewlery?

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    54

    Default ...

    The general consensus on these questions seems to be something in the middle of running straigh to the chief and doing nothing.

    The idea seems to be that we wan't someone who is willing to take care of his "brother" by not running directly to the LT/CPT/whoever... But what we don't want is someone who's going to let a FF or ANYONE else give the Dept. A bad name. Hence what you have to do is take care of the problem without letting the man lose his job if it's a mistake, or a one time thing. I belive the idea is that by giving him an out, so to speak, we correct the problem (no drunk men on the road) and allow FF. Smith to keep his job (he's our brother and we want to help him... not F*$k over his life... even though he was the ballbag who decided to come to work drunk)... I've given this answer on a few interviews now and that is what the panel has liked to hear. MORE IMPORTANTLY it's what I would ACTUALLY do.

    Don't lie. If this isn't something you could see yourself doing... answer honestly. If you're the kind of person who would go straight to the higher ups say that... I personally wouldn't, but maybe that's my lapse in judgment not yours...

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default

    that makes sense, i guess i didnt think of it that way. your right though. as far as drinking goes, after approaching him appropriately, and suggesting he take the day off or something to that nature, and offering him help, then if it becomes a more than once occurance, taking it to the higher ups.

    what about something like stealing, do you ask him if he has permission and he says **** off, then do you suggest he put it back and wait until you catch him doing it again to say something?

    granted, drinking on the job is wrong, but it could be a fluke thing, stealing is pretty bad, seems like its on that 'no way' side of the line, would this be an instance to go right up to someone?

    mike

  8. #8
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9secfirebird View Post
    that makes sense, i guess i didnt think of it that way. your right though. as far as drinking goes, after approaching him appropriately, and suggesting he take the day off or something to that nature, and offering him help, then if it becomes a more than once occurance, taking it to the higher ups.

    what about something like stealing, do you ask him if he has permission and he says **** off, then do you suggest he put it back and wait until you catch him doing it again to say something?

    granted, drinking on the job is wrong, but it could be a fluke thing, stealing is pretty bad, seems like its on that 'no way' side of the line, would this be an instance to go right up to someone?

    mike
    Stealing is different. Stealing can be handled by a heart-to-heart talk with the rest of the crew in the parking lot behind the station. Better bring band aids.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default

    so it seems like the common occurance in all of these situations is to try to handle the problem between the crew, and leave the higher ups out of it until it happens again.

    something illegal like stealing etc, once confirmed, should be handled with more than one person, something personal, like drinking, could be handled one on one...correct? then upon the second offence of anything, the officer should be made aware of both?

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9secfirebird View Post
    so it seems like the common occurance in all of these situations is to try to handle the problem between the crew, and leave the higher ups out of it until it happens again.

    something illegal like stealing etc, once confirmed, should be handled with more than one person, something personal, like drinking, could be handled one on one...correct? then upon the second offence of anything, the officer should be made aware of both?
    How old are you?
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default

    ...23...

    i have never had any of these situations happen in my firehouse before, curious on the different answers people are giving

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9secfirebird View Post
    ...23...

    i have never had any of these situations happen in my firehouse before, curious on the different answers people are giving
    Some of these answers are common sense.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,466

    Default

    If youíre not scoring high enough after your oral boards to go forward in the hiring process you have to start asking yourself why.

    You get to choose which way you want to answer these scenario type based questions.

    Consider this: Is showing up after drinking against department policy and compromising the integrity of the crew?

    With ethical issues like drinking, you ask appropriate questions to determine what you suspect (have you been drinking?). If true, as a sworn officer you don't deviate . . you go straight up to a supervisor (or why donít we go to our officer). Itís not your job to have them call in sick, send them home in a cab, arrange a trade, or get someone to counseling. That indeed is creating a soap opera answer instead of directly answering the oral board panelís question. What do you think your officer would do if they found out you interfered with their authority when someone violated department policy?

    Why do you want to take it up to your officer? For drinking, stealing or any of the other scenario ethical situations, are they tolerated, against the law, violation of department policy? Yes. The biggest issue here is the violation of public trust. Your officer will decide what action and direction to take.

    These are scenario-based questions. More on scenario questions here: http://www.eatstress.com/scenario.htm

    "Captain Bob"

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    21

    Thumbs up Good points

    There are several good points being made here. I had a oral board today and had alot of questions seen on these forums before. I had a twist in one of the drinking questions though, one of the chiefs asked me, "What would you do if your partner was found drunk at the beginning of the shift"? I went on to say that I would incourage him to go home sick. The twist was "What would I do if a cardiac arrest gets toned out before he had the chance to leave 2 blocks away"? I still stuck to my guns about not going on a call with him in the condition that he was in. I said that if a supervisor had to get involved then thats what had to happen. No reason to risk mine, his or any citizens life. Hope that was the right answer. Again good points here as well as in these forums. I found good stuff in Capt. Bob's posting's and especially Batallion Chief Lepore. Just wish I would of taken more time to review and to get more confident. One stumper for me was they asked if I wanted to add anything about myself at the end. Anyways, I hope I did well. Thanks to all.

  15. #15
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    25

    Default

    awesome, i would have given a similar answer!

    as far as anything to add...what did you say?

  16. #16
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9secfirebird View Post
    awesome, i would have given a similar answer!

    as far as anything to add...what did you say?
    I CHOKED. I didn't think of anything! Hopefully that didn't cost me the job.

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kramerfl View Post
    There are several good points being made here. I had a oral board today and had alot of questions seen on these forums before. I had a twist in one of the drinking questions though, one of the chiefs asked me, "What would you do if your partner was found drunk at the beginning of the shift"? I went on to say that I would incourage him to go home sick. The twist was "What would I do if a cardiac arrest gets toned out before he had the chance to leave 2 blocks away"? I still stuck to my guns about not going on a call with him in the condition that he was in. I said that if a supervisor had to get involved then thats what had to happen. No reason to risk mine, his or any citizens life. Hope that was the right answer. Again good points here as well as in these forums. I found good stuff in Capt. Bob's posting's and especially Batallion Chief Lepore. Just wish I would of taken more time to review and to get more confident. One stumper for me was they asked if I wanted to add anything about myself at the end. Anyways, I hope I did well. Thanks to all.
    Just remember, Chief Lepore never encouraged anyone to lie or cheat to get the badge.
    PROUD, HONORED AND HUMBLED RECIPIENT OF THE PURPLE HYDRANT AWARD - 10/2007.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    2,466

    Default Closing Statement

    Quote Originally Posted by kramerfl View Post
    One stumper for me was they asked if I wanted to add anything about myself at the end. Anyways, I hope I did well. Thanks to all.
    This was your chance to give a closing statement.

    Closing Statement

    The closing and the opening question tell us a little about yourself aren't usually scored. But if you say something good or bad in your closing it could cause the panel to go back to a section that is scored and change it.

    There are those who would tell you to raise the flag and beat the drum with a lot of fanfare in your closing statement. Yes, this is the last time the panel will hear from you. But please spare us this part. Understand, if you haven't done it in the body of your oral presentation, you're not going to make it up in the closing. REPEATING, IF YOU HAVEN'T DONE IT IN THE BODY OF YOUR ORAL PRESENTATION, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO MAKE IT UP IN THE CLOSING! We had a candidate who tried to show us all his certificates during his closing. McFly?

    If a candidate is asked only a few questions or the questions they are asked did not cover the great answers they had for: Why do you want to be a firefighter? What have you done to prepare for the position? Why do you want to work for this department or agency? Youíre missing out here by not taking advantage of a great opportunity to deliver one or more of those answers in a condensed matter to maximize your presentation to gain a few extra points.

    Don't forget that the closing part of an interview is where you call on the emotions of the interviewers to give you the job. Don't reiterate or try to do repair work. Use only the key points not already covered in your script. Without being boring or lengthily, tell the interviews why you really want the job and, with your qualifications, hope to be considered for the position.

    Then shut up and get out of the building. Or, you will say something stupid. We had a guy one day ace his oral. After his closing, he said, "Well, if I don't get this job I can always fall back on that part time painters job." The panel couldn't believe what this guy just said after acing his oral. Did it hurt his score? Enough to keep him from getting a shot at a badge. Last time I heard, he was still painting.
    ______________________________ _______________

    "Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

    Fire "Captain Bob"

    www.eatstress.com

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    21

    Lightbulb

    Thanks Capt. Bob for your response. I am still racking my brain trying to figure out their questions and my responses. Like I said before there is good stuff in your threads/ website as well as others. I guess I will find out tomorrow when I get the phone call.

  20. #20
    Forum Member BCmdepas3280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    873

    Default

    Helmet on ....cup in place.....
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

    Mike IAFF

    The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Interview questions
    By afd2620 in forum Recruitment and Retention
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-16-2012, 09:41 AM
  2. Interview questions
    By aneff3904 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 07:13 PM
  3. interview Questions
    By firemanmikey in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-02-2011, 09:08 AM
  4. Interview questions
    By GPM123 in forum Volunteer Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-05-2003, 11:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts