MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up Take Those Old Records Off The Shelf

Vinyl revival. With advances in technology and digital options, LPs are making a comeback

David Sanderson, Winnipeg Free Press Published: Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Hey, record-loving diehards: Don't be so quick to hammer the last nail into the vinyl coffin.

This spring, an employee at the American retail chain Fred Meyer mistakenly ticked "LP" instead of "CD" when ordering copies of REM's latest release, Accelerate. Within days, boxes of just-like-yer-parents-listened-to 12-inch albums began arriving at Fred Meyer outlets across the country.

Some managers refused, but those who signed for their shipments were rewarded at the cash register when the long plays were immediately snapped up by customers -- to the point that Fred Meyer is now testing sales of vinyl records in 60 of its locations.

Spurred on by a renewed attraction to an aural format many thought had gone the way of the dodo -- or at least Dido -- other music types have begun taking vinyl for a spin, too. According to the Recording Industry Association of America, manufacturers' shipments of LPs increased 36 per cent from 2006 to 2007. That number is expected to rise another 30 per cent by the end of 2008.

When Elvis Costello released his latest project, Momofuku, on May 1 of this year, it was made available on vinyl only, along with a free digital download.

On July 8, Minnesota-based Best Buy said it was introducing records at select stores in Canada and the United States.

And recently, three entertainment conglomerates -- the Warner Music Group, Universal Music Enterprises and Capitol/EMI -- each announced that come August, they would be re-issuing as many as 30 albums each from their back catalogues every month until the end of the year. Already-announced Capitol titles, due to be pressed on 180-gram audiophile vinyl, include A Perfect Circle's Mer de Noms, Coldplay's Parachutes and A Rush of Blood to the Head, Steve Miller Band -- Greatest Hits 1974-1978, and Radiohead's OK Computer, Kid A, Hail to the Thief and Amnesiac.

"One interesting point we have noticed about this so-called vinyl revival is that it is coming about because people recognize that LPs actually do sound better than CDs," says Jeff Kowerchuk, owner of Winnipeg's Creative Audio. "In our store, turntable and phono cartridge sales have never been stronger, brought about by a resurgence of interest in vinyl playback.

"It's funny, we have some clients who come in and remember all the bad things about records -- the pops, the clicks -- and that's true. But they forget about the tactile aspect of records. While CDs promote a sort of pop-it-in-and-skip-tracks mentality, vinyl is more of a touchy-feely thing. Take the album art, for instance: I mean, who ever reads the liner notes inside a CD?"

Ironically, after the technological advances associated with compact discs almost single-handedly killed the LP in the early 1990s, technology is suddenly one of the driving forces behind vinyl's Lazarus-like resurrection. Thanks to turntables that now come equipped with USB ports, those milk crates full of records collecting dust in your basement can now be easily converted to MP3 files.

The Source at Circuit City sells two types of USB turntables, both by ION: a year-old version that connects directly to a computer (list price: $199) and a newer model that features an integrated iPod dock ($269). For the latter, you simply position your iPod in the designated slot, drop the needle on whatever record you want to download and hit "Record." Presto, change-o, albeit in real time, unlike the 30 seconds or so it takes to rip a CD.

There's also a USB cassette deck ($159), also made by ION, that allows people to encode their ancient mixed tapes, too.

"It really runs the gamut," says Kowerchuk when asked who's shopping for turntables. "I'd say young guys between 20 and 30 years old account for the most purchases but there's also a lot of middle-aged people -- and those close to retirement -- who are looking to upgrade."

Kowerchuk says the ability to transfer LPs onto gadgets like iPods sits well with customers who still maintain a strong affection for their vinyl collections.

The one disadvantage of digitizing LPs, Kowerchuk mentions, is that when you do so, you are in a sense negating the whole point of analogue sound being superior to digital sound in the first place.

"As soon as you transfer, you're kind of killing the quality," he says. "But most people know that and are doing it for convenience sake, which is just fine."

Forum Member

From the title,I thought that you were about to commence sliding around the living room in your BVDs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    From the title,I thought that you were about to commence sliding around the living room in your BVDs.
    OUCH MY MIND'S EYE OUCH MY MIND'S EYE OUCH MY MIND'S EYE heheeheheheeee

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    OUCH MY MIND'S EYE OUCH MY MIND'S EYE OUCH MY MIND'S EYE heheeheheheeee
    I was looking for a sharp stick or a drill to get the image out of my head,myself.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    I was looking for a sharp stick or a drill to get the image out of my head,myself.
    Try a meat thermometer and ball-peen hammer.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

punk rock has always big on the promotion of vinyl records...

but other than me, who listens to punk rock?
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

Try a meat thermometer and ball-peen hammer.
    Thanks. That worked.
    Last edited by superchef; 07-30-2008 at 06:41 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    punk rock has always big on the promotion of vinyl records...
    That's because its too hard to play a CD backwards and get messages from Satan.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Now, they just need to build a LP changer for my car, and I'm all set

MembersZone Subscriber

Well one thing is for sure: I never ONCE claimed to be Tom Cruise.

So no worries of me dancing in my underwear for you guys!

Thread Information