Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By VanIsleEVT

Thread: Scott voice amplifier or MSA clear command

Forum Member

Default Scott Epic Voice Amplifier or MSA Clear Command HCS

I'm looking for opinions and experience with both brands and types of radio communication devices. Currently we have the MSA clear command hcs but have had numerous problems with them. Is anyone else experiencing problems as well? We're considering trying the Scott voice amplifier instead. Thoughts?
    Last edited by VanIsleEVT; 07-31-2008 at 01:17 AM.

Forum Member

Not 100% sure, but usually Scott and MSA products don't mix and match with each other.

Forum Member

The MSA Clear Command HCS is a skull mic that has nothing to do with the SCBA. We have Scott NXG7's, that is why we're looking at the voice amplifier.

I'm looking for opinions from people that have used either one.
    Teebes210 likes this.

Forum Member

I don't know anything about the MSA Clear Command HCS, but I do know that it is better with than without the Scott voice amplifier. Your guys just need to learn not to shout when wearing them.
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Our MSA masks have the built in Clear Command system. We have had no problems with them. I would agree that the best thing to do is not scream. Of course only rookies scream in their masks...

Forum Member

We have the clear command system and it works good for us. As the others said, the most important thing is to not scream into the mic.

Forum Member

just curious, what problems r u having??

Forum Member

Well........the lapel mics stop working and are not repairable. The earlier skull mics had an o-ring the sealed the plug when plugged into the lapel mic, they always disintegrate which means it won't stay plugged in. The newer ones don't have the o-ring, improved design. Don't get me wrong, when they work they work well. I'm just not a fan of MSA quality when it comes to durability.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleEVT View Post
    Well........the lapel mics stop working and are not repairable. The earlier skull mics had an o-ring the sealed the plug when plugged into the lapel mic, they always disintegrate which means it won't stay plugged in. The newer ones don't have the o-ring, improved design. Don't get me wrong, when they work they work well. I'm just not a fan of MSA quality when it comes to durability.

A bead of silicone sealant won't fill the gap and allow it to seat?Maybe go to the hardware store and find some rubber washers that will fit to jury rig the suckers to stay put?
    Take a toothbrush(old or someone you REALLY dislike)and brush out the dirt and stuff that has gotten into the plug receptacle.That might help the seating problem even before filling in the gap.
    Hope this can help.If not,you'll need to check with the manufacturer,which I think y'all are trying to avoid.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have 2002 version Scott radio interface kits and/or voice amps on our all NxG2. Both work well.

The new 2007 version voice amp is an improvement as has auto power off and speaker reposition so it faces directly to the front of the facepiece.

Forum Member

we have the scotts. they work fine....something about our R&D team not wanting us to use inferior batteries worries me....at least since we don't carry the good batteries at our stations....

I check mine every morning and haven't worked any fires with it yet but have hadto replace the battery twice...not sure about the battery lifes on them

Exclamation MSA Clear Comms vs. amplified mike

We originally ordered the MSA just for Hazmat responses. Then picked up enough for everyone. The problems we're having are cord entanglement in Confined Space Rescues (shipboard/submarine), lack of communication between responders and to IC in closed metal structures, losing face shield seal during ARFF responses due to the extra weight and having the external access cord come unplugged with no way of knowing you've lost tranmission/reception capabilities.
    Do not have these problems with amplified mikes and the cost is much MUCH less. I'd say the best use for MSA is some Confined Space and all HazMat. For anything else, it's an overpriced piece of technology that's sold as 'The newest and the best' when it's not for all types of responses.
    Make sure your department identifies who can really benefit (not just for status) and for exactly what type responses and that way you can use your budget resources more effectively.

Thread Information