Forum Member

Smile Celebrating the Award - Wetdowns

While it might not be exactly on topic for the Grants and Funding Forum, I hope you will endulge me....

Thanks to the AFG, our department will be celebrating the delivery of a bouncing baby fire truck in a few months.
    There is no one left at our department that remembers the last NEW truck we put in service, so I need your help with ideas for a proper truck wetdown.

I'd also appreciate it if someone could share their knowledge of the history of the tradition. I've heard it is rooted in the Navy, but I've also seen them wetdown new aircraft... so ??

Forum Member

I have a retired Navy man here visiting. He says that they use to wet down the aircraft' carrier and the aircraft's when there was rough seas to help keep the salt water from harming the metal's.

As far as the Navy tradition
    http://www.history.navy.mil/trivia/t...m#anchor253700

Wetting Down a commission

In the old Navy, an officer's commission was hand-written on heavy parchment. According to some sources, the newly commissioned or promoted officer held a dinner for his shipmates and friends. During the course of the evening, the new commission was rolled into a cone, the small end folded up to form a cup. This paper cup was passed around the table for all the guests to toast the new officer. Thus, the new commission was "wetted down." Considering the importance of the document, however, this interpretation may be doubtful. Commissions in the early U.S. Navy were signed and issued by the President and were of great legal and personal value.

According to other sources, the wetting down party was once quite a rough and tumble affair. It was the custom for the officer to wear his new uniform or stripes for the first time at the wetting down. The guests would then proceed to christen the uniform, the occupant, and the commission with whatever liquid refreshment (paid for by the victim) was available. Over the years, however, Navy life has became more calm, the price of gold braid has skyrocketed and a literal christening is not usually condoned. It might even be considered downright unsociable.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Not sure about the wetdowns but housings have a whole host of traditions, from the new buggy being pushed into the station to all sorts of others that I can't remember right now.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andy2802 View Post
    While it might not be exactly on topic for the Grants and Funding Forum, I hope you will endulge me....

Thanks to the AFG, our department will be celebrating the delivery of a bouncing baby fire truck in a few months.
    There is no one left at our department that remembers the last NEW truck we put in service, so I need your help with ideas for a proper truck wetdown.

I'd also appreciate it if someone could share their knowledge of the history of the tradition. I've heard it is rooted in the Navy, but I've also seen them wetdown new aircraft... so ??
    I had opportunity to ask this question of Dr. Harry Carter when he visited our department a few years back, and the tradition goes way back-not to cast shadow on Navy, however I think it pre-dates that.

I cant for the life of me remember now, however I will shoot the Doc an email and try to get the exact origin.

As for what rig can get a wash down, well that's just up to your dept. I know our brothers on the east coast are well versed in this, and I would do a quick google seach.

I have seen photos of events, where everyone is wearing a commemorative t-shirt etc.

Congrats on the rig

Thread Information