MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone know when we will get our test results back?

When will they decide on oral boards or not?

I guess its oral boards or just a straight ranking off the test.

MembersZone Subscriber

From the other Portland thread:

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdFloor View Post
    I just walked down the hall and asked the recruiter. Word is: Letters should go out next week. If you haven't heard by September 2, call.

MembersZone Subscriber

Oral board or no oral board?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jcheeetham View Post
    Oral board or no oral board?
    "Still discussing it" was the last official word from down the hall.

Sorry not to be more helpful, but I don't even have a fresh crop of rumors to report!

MembersZone Subscriber

So, if they are still discussing it, then it is likely we wont receive our letters till late next week. Right?

Forum Member

So, if they are still discussing it, then it is likely we wont receive our letters till late next week. Right?
    There's no way I'm going to speculate on HR timing or the mysteries thereof!

All I can do is say that letters should go out this week. (The italics got lost in the quote box a couple of posts back. SHOULD go out.)

I've updated PF&R's home page and the "firefighting" tab with the same info -- and if I learn anything factual and new, I'll post it here, too.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the quick responses and information.

Forum Member

Sometimes the hardest part about testing is the waiting. Thanks for the info 3rd floor.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trotsky View Post
    Sometimes the hardest part about testing is the waiting.
    Believe me, I'm sympathetic. I reallyREALLY wanted this job and to work for PF&R -- and it's difficult to be zen about the whole thing when you've given it your best shot and oh, it's only your whole life on the line.

For what it's worth, I just talked to the Training Chief, and he says they're still waiting on HR.

I guess the good news is, your letters haven't gotten lost in the mail.

MembersZone Subscriber

So how does that work exactly?

Training Chief and HR.

How does that process work?

HR sends out the letters and Training Chief approves?

Forum Member

A caveat before I say anything: I'm not speaking officially -- I'm not part of the hiring/testing/decision process -- so you're getting my understanding of how this works.

As I understand it (note above: not speaking officially), the test results went to HR. HR still has the test results. HR is supposed to mail letters.

Just to make things more fun, HR is an entirely separate entity from PF&R. I figure (note above: not speaking officially) that the Training Chief probably has the best leverage with HR, so that's who I asked for an update this morning.

Perhaps one of the folks on the line can weigh in on this, since they've been through it?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am curious what the letter will say. Will it give your ranking number or say Congratulations or say thank you, but no thank you?

If they do give you a ranking number, you better be in the top one hundred to have a chance, right?

Forum Member

Let me preface this by saying that I am still in training (getting ready to move to T2) so while I am working in a station, I am still in training. But the old process is pretty fresh in my mind.

My memory of entrance exams:

After the written test, there was correspondence regarding questions that were either challenged or thrown out. After about 3 weeks, we got our first letters that said one of two things: 1.) "Congrats, you will move on to the next step, the oral board. Your interview is scheduled for XXXX." 2.) "Thank you for your interest in PF&R. Your score of XXXX was not above the minimum required to move on in the process."

A couple of months went by between the written and the Oral Board. After the Oral Board process (which was a marathon if I remember correctly....they interviewed hundreds of candidates and it took weeks), it took about 8 weeks to get results back from there. That letter either gave you your number on the list or the "thanks but try again."

After that, it was just waiting for them to call your number on the list. That took probably about 8-9 months for me....but things moved very fast after that. Within 3 weeks, I had my Chief's interview, PAT, physical & drug screen and was notified of my start date.

With the process being different this time (FireTeam Video test), I'm not sure if any of these timelines will translate to this process. The website does confirm info that 3rd Floor has provided here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks. Great info. Sounds like a big waiting game. Im up for it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone have any idea as far as tentative start dates for the academies? That should give us a good sense of a timeline for the rest of the hiring process. I know the departments here in phoenix take about 7 months from written test to start date, but they have a lot more candidates to sift through. 3rdfloor, if you talk to the Training Chief he should have an idea of when the first academy is set to start.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by megakarl99 View Post
    Anyone have any idea as far as tentative start dates for the academies? That should give us a good sense of a timeline for the rest of the hiring process. I know the departments here in phoenix take about 7 months from written test to start date, but they have a lot more candidates to sift through. 3rdfloor, if you talk to the Training Chief he should have an idea of when the first academy is set to start.
    I don't work for Portland, so I am sure if I screw this up some one will staighten me out! I do work in Training at another Dept so I am familiar with some of the logistics envolved. Our Ops Division forcasts when we need to have accademies and then gives that info to our Training Div. for scheduling. Portland may be different, I don't know.

Anyway.... sounds like Jwarne2001 is getting ready to move to T2 for three months after being on E2 for three months. If that's accurate, that accademy will go to the line to regular stations around the end November I think. I would guess you've got a few months to wait for the next accademy to start. I would be suprised if they started a new accademy with one still in play. I could be all wet on this, too! Good luck guys, it would be a great place to work.

MembersZone Subscriber

TVFR9923, off topic, but do you happen to know if TVFR is going to have an open hire next fall? I start my volunteer academy here in a couple weeks and hope to get the chance to get hired as paid.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GaiusPaul View Post
    TVFR9923... do you happen to know if TVFR is going to have an open hire next fall?
    Exactly what I was going to ask

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GaiusPaul View Post
    TVFR9923, off topic, but do you happen to know if TVFR is going to have an open hire next fall? I start my volunteer academy here in a couple weeks and hope to get the chance to get hired as paid.

Last I heard our list still valid. I don't know if it will get used all up or if we will test again before hiring our next paid accademy. Good luck in the volunteer accademy. Your fire science classes you've posted about should be helpful to you.

I like milk...

Just out of curiosity. Any idea of how many people that were under the age of 21 took the test? I have been trying to think of something to say besides when do we get or results. I just want to know how I did.

Forum Member

First off I would be surprised if you hear anything much before the end of the month. HR is notorious for saying results will be out in 2 weeks and it never happens. PF and R really doesn't have much control over the testing process, we help proctor it but HR is who handles results and notifications and they are terribly inefficient (my opinion).

As far as having a ranking when you get notified, hard to say. If it was the old process you would get your first letter letting you know if you passed the written and a date for a Oral board and then if on the FF/Paramedic list you would get a ranking. FF/Trainee list doesn't get ranked. With them possibly not doing Orals this time it is anyone's guess right now what else the process will involve.

As far as dates for academies, we are hiring pretty consistent every three months or so, and we still have current lists that they can hire off. Process is that once a crew leaves TAC (training academy 40 hr work week) and goes to 2's a new crew is hired shortly there after. It goes TAC, E2 then T2. all separate academies, but close together. If that makes sense.

3Rd floor has good connections working up there, so tehy may be able to get you some info when it comes available.

Hope that helps and any other questions as always feel free to ask

MembersZone Subscriber

Please explain what this means again:

"TAC, E2 then T2"

Forum Member

"TAC, E2 then T2"
    That is the training sequence, You will start in TAC on a 40hr work week. I honestly don't remember how long that is but I think it is around 3 months. You will then move to Engine 2 also about 3 months, if you pass finals you will then move to Truck 2 another 3 months. If passed you will then move out to the company's to complete probation. Probation period is 1 year from when your sworn in. This is the process for the FF/paramedic list, the process for the trainee list is a couple more months at TAC.

Back to the original post I made since it may not be clear, A group will be hired and start in TAC. When they move to the next step another group is hired to replace them. So you have an academy that was hired together in each step of the process usually. If that makes sense.

MembersZone Subscriber

"TAC, E2 then T2"

The process is outlined on the Portland Fire website: http://www.portlandonline.com/fire/i...47767&a=207238

Forum Member

New news, folks, and please don't shoot the messenger:

Letters should go out August 27. If you have not received a letter by September 2 (longer, if you're out of the Portland Metro area), please call the recruiter.

Thread Information