+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Portland Fire 08-168 & 08-169

Alright, since the first test is over. I figured we would start a new thread about the process. Since we cant talk about the test I figured that we could talk about pre-paring for the Cheifs interview and the CPAT. Sound good to everybody? Plus this will give us a spot to shoot the s**t

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm ready to blast the PAT. Bring it on!

GoCougs, BTW, do you happen to be taking an EMS class at PCC?

MembersZone Subscriber

Im ready also. I remember the Cpat from last year and am ready for it again.

Im not in the EMS class now. I am trying to get into the A&P class for the fall at PCC

Forum Member

Just got done with my test (2nd group) not sure how I feel about the format...think I did okay, but we'll see.

cougs...I am also enrolled in an A&P class at PCC this fall. You getting ready for a medic program?

Forum Member

This was the 3rd test I've taken in regards to firefighting, and I can't believe how different each one has been.

I'm looking forward to the results. We'll get them in 2 weeks right?

Is Portland's CPAT different than the public safety CPAT?

I hope the leg is working good Trotsky.

Forum Member

Yes...my 3rd test too and each one has been different.

Here is a link to the video of the CPAT that Portland has on their website. Looks pretty much similar to others out there.

My leg is much better. Thanks for asking.

I believe they said some time in mid August (15th maybe?) but if we haven't heard by August 31 we should contact HR. Fingers crossed Good luck everyone.

I heard they are hiring maybe 200 off this list so I guess this is the one to be on

MembersZone Subscriber

Their CPAT is way different then other departments. I would be surprised if we got our results in 2 weeks. Trotsky, where did you hear 200 people? That is a crap load of people. In the other thread Nozzleman or pro300 said that only 125 are eligible for retirement this year. It would be awsome if they hired that many but I will believe that when I see it

Forum Member

Hate to burst anyones bubble but we aren't going to hire 200 off these lists. For one hiring is actually slowing down a bit, going back to 12 person groups. We hire approx every three months. That works out to 48 per year, which if you look at the past numbers that is close to what we have been doing. We were doing groups of 16 trying to get the numbers up that we needed. If you look at our seniority list you will see that approx 3/4 of the bureau has less than 15 years.

We don't use CPAT for a PAT, ours is our own, some ways tougher than CPAT and some ways easier. I highly recommend that when you get close to taking it you take advantage of the practice sessions that they usually offer. It isn't hard but for the inexperienced it can cause a problem once in awhile. The time standard is a bit tight if you have a problem or two along the way. So use the practice sessions to learn it and know where you will need to make up time.

Forum Member

Hey Nozzleman25, Thanks for the info and participation. It's great to have you on here!

I've been hearing different numbers from different sources. One thing that has been fairly consistant is that there are about 150 FF eligable for retirement at this moment. With each passing year that number grows. Based on that, it seems like Portland will need to hire more than 48/year.

How long will this hiring list be good for? Should those not hired this year prepare to go through the same process next year?

What was the total number of applicants? I have heard from 20,000 to 2,400. Didn't they say 3,000 at the test? I counted about 1,500 for the early test, so that would make sense to me.

It's funny, because I have slow buddies that say the test was easy and sharp buddies that don't feel very comfortable with the test. I can't wait for the results!

Forum Member

I just went through the seniority list and going off this list being good till 2010 that makes everyone hired 1985 and earlier eligible to retire. This doesn't take into account those that aren't 50 years old. So just going off those numbers there will be 149 eligible to retire. Now if the list goes a bit longer into 2011 then you can add those hired in 1986, that is 22 more. Then there weren't any hired in 97. So best case scenario is 171. That is if everyone eligible to retire does so which doesn't happen. A lot will stay longer than 25 and some won't be old enough. I counted the personnel, some will look at the seniority list and take the oldest number and then go to the first eligible number and subtract, this doesn't work because the numbers don't line up because of retirements previously. The list's are normally good for about 2 years.

As far as hiring I think the best we do is 64 per year, the reason being is they have found that if the groups get to big it creates to many problems. So they prefer to hire groups of 12 but have done groups of 16.

As far as how many took the test, what we were told is 1500 signed up for the trainee test and 100 for the Firefighter test. Hope that helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

100 (one hundred) for the FF/EMT test? That can't be right.

Do you mean 1,000 (one thousand)?

Forum Member

Well I guess my sources weren't as reliable as I thought. Thanks for the heads up Nozzleman.

You said 100 for the EMT test...I am wondering how the % works for hiring off each list. Do they just go with the best candidates regardless of the list they are on or do they hire a certain percentage from the EMT list and the Trainee list?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chingon View Post
    100 (one hundred) for the FF/EMT test? That can't be right.

Do you mean 1,000 (one thousand)?
    Yeah thats a typo, it should have said 1000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trotsky View Post
    Well I guess my sources weren't as reliable as I thought. Thanks for the heads up Nozzleman.

You said 100 for the EMT test...I am wondering how the % works for hiring off each list. Do they just go with the best candidates regardless of the list they are on or do they hire a certain percentage from the EMT list and the Trainee list?

They hire pretty equally off each list.

Forum Member

Since they changed the written test this year to a new format do you think they will do something different with the oral interviews?

MembersZone Subscriber

I dont think that they are having Oral Boards this year

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoCougs View Post
    I dont think that they are having Oral Boards this year

There is still some discussion about what they are going to do, might still happen.

Forum Member

Or send the letters out on time. I got mine the day after the test
    I am a highly trained professional and can find my :: expletive deleted:: with either hand in various light conditions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nozzleman25 View Post
    There is still some discussion about what they are going to do, might still happen.
    Nozzleman25 is correct -- there's some discussion, but as of this moment orals are still planned.

(note: I'm not a firefighter. I just report directly to the Fire Chief.)

Forum Member

We appreciate the information. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DonSmithnotTMD View Post
    Or send the letters out on time. I got mine the day after the test
    What letter did you get? Your results already?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoCougs View Post
    What letter did you get? Your results already?
    I think he is talking about the last time around. Seems he may have gotten his test notification after the test date

Forum Member

Default Written Test

So thought you guys might get a kick out of the fact I spent $700 to fly out and take the test only to notice at one point I was off on my answering of questions by one and had been answereing that way for several questions before I noticed. I think I was able to correct it properly before the test ended, but we shall see. It was an area of the test that I had passed before so I have been stressed out since the 1st. Inhale sigh. What can you do?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chawk12 View Post
    So thought you guys might get a kick out of the fact I spent $700 to fly out and take the test only to notice at one point I was off on my answering of questions by one and had been answereing that way for several questions before I noticed. I think I was able to correct it properly before the test ended, but we shall see. It was an area of the test that I had passed before so I have been stressed out since the 1st. Inhale sigh. What can you do?
    Sorry to hear it Chawk12. I hope you got it corrected. I sure hope we get the results sometime next week.

MembersZone Subscriber

chawk12, my buddy did the same. Funny stuff. I'm sure you were able to correct it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... Last

Thread Information